• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 clott5

clott5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:13 PM

Can anyone tell me what happened to Lasma that brought on their demise? Also, does anyone have a clue where Raymond and Gene Lacroix are these days? Have they given up the Arabian breed?

#2 DebutArabians

DebutArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

I bought a breeding to one of Gene's DHH stallions last year. They have a farm in KY now (i think it was KY), I dont know if there are any Arabs there or not.

#3 Terra Sano

Terra Sano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

http://www.raylacroix.com
Russ Taylor
Terra Sano Ventures, Ltd.
Austin, TX

#4 billie940

billie940

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2228 posts
  • Interests:Since 1978, Breeder of Pure/predominately Polish Arabians. Concentrated *BASK bloodlines. The last two years introduced *WIKING bloodlines to the breeding program, some very nice foals as a result. <br />Next year will breed to MS FIREDEVIL( Padrons PsycheXAerial Fire Echo) for 2008 foals.

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

Terra...that web site didn't work for me tried it twice.
www.lovenwararabians.com

Billie Glosser
Love N' War Arabians
Denton, TX 76207

#5 Lori G

Lori G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

http://www.rayLacroix.com/
~~~ Rooney Stable ~~~
Join the Proud Breed, Go Arabian !

#6 JCsmom

JCsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:DDH, HA, ASB, NSH

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

gene still has a few horses in training and showed at buckeye and region 14. Was Buckeye and Region 14 Champ in HA EP Driving with Mannos Premier and has US National Champ AOTR PB Park horse Hallelujah Baby in the training stable so he does have a few!

#7 Karen C.

Karen C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1087 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:03 PM

I think that Gessepi would be the best person here to answer the Lasma question...it would take more than a single post - I've always thought it would make a great non-fiction book (kind of like the book on Calumet Farms "A Wild Ride").

In a nutshell (correct me if I'm wrong...this is just from my observations as a subscriber to Arabian Horse World at the time) to me it seems that Lasma just got too 'big for their britches'. i.e. they way overextended themselves, probably starting about the time they imported *Aladdinn into the US...auction prices and stud fees were going up and up and up and maybe they thought it would be like the loaves and the fishes and just keep going on and on and on. Plus I think they were getting into too many different segments of the horse industry, also real estate with the purchase and development of L'Esprit etc.

During this time, Arabian Horse World didn't report the bad stuff that was going on at Lasma/Star World (perhaps they just weren't aware, I don't know). As I recall, the first indication that something might not be quite right as far as I could see was an article in "World News" announcing that Ventura Farms had purchased Lasma's entire mare herd (and that included plenty of truly great/famous mares). Around that time, I also noted that the amount of ad pages from Lasma dropped big time...I think it was late 86/early 87 that Lasma as an entity was sold to that Japanese guy (don't remember his name off the top of my head!).

I don't know the LaCroix family personally but my feeling in retrospect is that the elder Dr. Eugene LaCroix and Mrs. LaCroix didn't have much to do with all that money/investment stuff, and Ray L. seemed to be way more involved with actually training and showing than the business bits. Again using Arabian Horse World from that time as a guide, you can see that Gene Jr. was showing less and less often, it seemed as though he would focus on just a couple of 'big horses' instead of training/showing a bunch of 'em, KWIM? Basically it just seems like they overextended and it ended up biting them in the butt.

Again, Geseppi would know more of the skinny on Lasma - he's written some really interesting posts here at ABH about Lasma and Star World...
Karen C.

(Please Note: Until I get online Datasource again, please note that unless otherwise noted, all search results are from my old grossly inadequate 2000 CDROM, which only features purebreds registered with AHA through Dec 31 1999. I verify show records using the AHA Members Only site (which *ALL* AHA Members, even us cheapa$$ $20/year members have access to - amazed at how many folks don't know that!!))

I also post search results at the All Breed Pedigreedatabase.

#8 Terra Sano

Terra Sano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

sorry, lol. I misspelled it. Thanks to Lori G for correcting it.
Russ Taylor
Terra Sano Ventures, Ltd.
Austin, TX

#9 aliskeeper

aliskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

The DEMISE of LASMA?................Could it have been the TAX LAW CJHANGE ? bomb.gif

#10 noone

noone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(aliskeeper @ Aug 21 2006, 06:57 PM)  

The DEMISE of LASMA?................Could it have been the TAX LAW CJHANGE ? bomb.gif

The 1986 tax law change hurt a lot more than just Lasma, but yes, I would say it had a ton of influrence on Lasma- If we arent careful, NAIS is the next thing to bite us all in the pocketbook!

#11 journey

journey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

They also stand The Heat Is On (an arab).

#12 Saazar

Saazar

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

Cali Canberra's book Trading Paper is loosely based on Lasma and the 80s heydays.

#13 JennyM

JennyM

Welcome to Taj ma Murf!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1632 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:36 PM

Wasn't it Teisan Auto Company that bought out Lasma?

#14 panamaa

panamaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

I think Gene is in Fairlight Valleys old barn at Le Sprit
SHEREL SEXTON

LONDON, KENTUCKY

#15 PaulaM

PaulaM

PaulaM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts
  • Interests:arabians - pure polish or polish cross

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:41 AM

I wish they were into showing Arabians more! I do know each are one of the best trainers, riders, and handlers that this industry ever had and they helped train the best of trainers of today. I also will say a hugh "Thanks" to Lasma for introducing me to the world of horses and to the Dr. who spent several hours with me on pedigrees and horses - more then i can even remember. Today, we would not have the horses we have! I miss them in the ring! Would love to see Gene back in a park class - that man can drive those rearends better then anyone I have ever seen! Must have legs of iron, I swear!
PalMar Arabians- An idiot who comes here to become a genious
Home to: MS Kora (Barisznikov X *Kampania) grey
MS Sweet Dreams (Padron Psyche X MS Safari)-Cht.
MS Surfire (MS Firedevil X MS Safari)- bay mare in foal
Pm Fire Echo (MS Firedevil X MS Kora) blk/grey filly
PM Sangiovase (DaVinci FM X MS Surfire) - bay yearling filly
PM DiAnna (DiVinci FM X MS Surfire) bay weanier
Lots of colts here too - cannot list

PM Surprise (Z. Baskatan X Snipette)- gelding

All our mares bottom lines go to pure polish Aladdinn, Bask, Comet and Bandos

#16 aliskeeper

aliskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(noone @ Aug 22 2006, 10:03 AM)  

The 1986 tax law change hurt a lot more than just Lasma, but yes, I would say it had a ton of influrence on Lasma- If we arent careful, NAIS is the next thing to bite us all in the pocketbook!

And could it be that when Lasma fell....the TRUE lover of the Arabian horse STAYED ON and the OTHERS moved on to OTHER things??

#17 SKG

SKG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1700 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

I wish Ray would do clinics like Clinton Anderson and write more articles/videos. I love the way he explains things. Mind you, I have never had the privilege of having him explain it in person, however when you read his articles you can really understand what you are doing incorrectly. I think he is a wonderful writer and at a clinic I'm sure he is superb. Hey, he needs a show on RFD TV.....I guess he would problably like that also. Another Arabian trainer that I would love to see with his own show on RFD is Gordon Potts, he's one of my favorite all around trainers also.
KG

#18 LauraM

LauraM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(SKG @ Aug 22 2006, 10:15 AM)  

I wish Ray would do clinics like Clinton Anderson and write more articles/videos. I love the way he explains things. Mind you, I have never had the privilege of having him explain it in person, however when you read his articles you can really understand what you are doing incorrectly. I think he is a wonderful writer and at a clinic I'm sure he is superb. Hey, he needs a show on RFD TV.....I guess he would problably like that also. Another Arabian trainer that I would love to see with his own show on RFD is Gordon Potts, he's one of my favorite all around trainers also.
KG

If you want the Ray experience, bid on the clinic that is part of the auction!

This is a 3 day Seminar ACCELŽ Horsemanship training system, Donated by Ray Lacroix.

Contact Info:
RAY LACROIX
LaCroix Ltd.
26650 Nth 57th St.,
Scottsdale, AZ. 85262
e-mail ray@raylacroix.com
480-216-1299

This is a 3 day Seminar with Ray Lacroix, that includes no charge for the Seminar and Ray will pay for Flight to your location, however the winning bidder would have to supply Food and Lodging. Normal charges for this Seminar is $750.00 per day and Transportation, Food and Lodging. There is a minimum bid on this consignment of $750.00 Try to remember the purpose and cause when placing your bids. For further details read below or Click Here

Ray LaCroix is a horseman who has had 25 years experience and show ring success in getting horses to willingly, and predictably perform to their best abilities, winning over 200 National Championships in every major discipline along the way. While almost any horse of any breed will happily perform beautiful, collected movements at play, Ray has built his career on training horses to transfer this joyous spirit to their performance in the show ring- not for just a few strides, but for an entire event, time after time for both professional and amateur riders.

In 1991, Ray became interested in accelerated learning techniques in order to speed up the "learning curve" for his amateur riders. After taking two years of advanced communication courses from the country's top sports psychologists, not only did Ray dramatically change his style of teaching, he began to apply the principles of accelerated learning models to horsemanship techniques as well. The results of these efforts have been much more far-reaching than even Ray had imagined; the results being the creation of the ACCELŽ Horsemanship Seminar Series designed to benefit all horse people who desire to learn, and accomplish more with their horses.

Today, Ray LaCroix is making his twenty-five-year-long learning curve available to other riders who want to avoid years of trial and error, and move directly into effective, successful communication with their horses. ACCELŽ's goal of giving each rider the knowledge to be responsible for his or her own ride has enabled many ACCELŽ graduates to compete successfully without a professional trainer.

#19 kirsten

kirsten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, painting, gardening

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:53 AM

The techniques I still use to train my babies to halter I learned at a La Croix clinic.

#20 BIGGER

BIGGER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts
  • Interests:Horses! Dressage,Art,Travel

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

I will always be greatful to that family

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users