#1 SylvanValleyArabians

SylvanValleyArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:The Arabian Horse

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:59 PM

Well my boyfriend thinks he should get mule (I have no idea why) And he thinks it would be especially great if it's a half-arab one. (YUCK) I know he's just saying it to get me annoyed. (It's working) LOL

So anyways, the discussion has come up on a few occasions, on whether or not a half-arab mule could be registered. I know the rule is "at least one parent must be of purebred arabian ancestry) or whatever.. but they couldn't possibly allow a mule to be registered! (or could they?!?!)

Can you just imagine? A half-arab mule showing? OMG. I mean, they're cute, in an ugly sort of way. But the EARS? I tried to explain to him how much nice ears are important on an arab... But he's really pulling my chain. LOL

So help me out here guys... Strange subject I know. But Non-horse boyfriends usually are *strange* hehe :)
Kristal
Sylvan Valley Arabians
Home of:
Sylvan Valley Nugget (R-Neptune x L-Cybelle) 2000 Grey gelding
Oh So Kool (WA Fools Gold x Klassic Wunder) 2000 Chestnut mare
LO Strawberry Bay (Hucklebey Berry+/ x D L Antana) 1990 Bay mare
JS Juno El Jabask (*Jullyen El Jamaal x Ms Manhattan++) 2005 Bay gelding
Matilyn Bey SVA (Matrifik x LO Strawberry Bay) 2007 Bay filly! :)
Evening Klassic SVA (Couturier x Oh So Kool) 2007 Bay filly! :)

#2 meow

meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1578 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

Can't be registered as a Half Arab. Rule is specific re "horse"

#3 SylvanValleyArabians

SylvanValleyArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(meow @ Dec 9 2006, 01:26 PM) View Post

Can't be registered as a Half Arab. Rule is specific re "horse"

Oh thank-goodness! That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure, as he won't leave it alone!!
Kristal
Sylvan Valley Arabians
Home of:

#4 Halfpass

Halfpass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(SylvanValleyArabians @ Dec 9 2006, 12:59 PM) View Post

Well my boyfriend thinks he should get mule (I have no idea why) And he thinks it would be especially great if it's a half-arab one. (YUCK) I know he's just saying it to get me annoyed. (It's working) LOL

So anyways, the discussion has come up on a few occasions, on whether or not a half-arab mule could be registered. I know the rule is "at least one parent must be of purebred arabian ancestry) or whatever.. but they couldn't possibly allow a mule to be registered! (or could they?!?!)

Can you just imagine? A half-arab mule showing? OMG. I mean, they're cute, in an ugly sort of way. But the EARS? I tried to explain to him how much nice ears are important on an arab... But he's really pulling my chain. LOL

So help me out here guys... Strange subject I know. But Non-horse boyfriends usually are *strange* hehe :)

My husband also thought he needed a half Arab mule for his hunting treks. She was smart, tough and had a huge trot and walk. She also routinely dumped him when she thought she had worked hard enough. I used her for Dressage clinics one winter when I was in between horses and she did create quite a stir. The mules are legal to show in USDF shows now - at least that is what I read somewhere. A former president of IAHA I believe tried to register a 1/2 Arab mule and was blocked in that attempt.

In case you can't tell, Ms. Mule is in the far left of the picture.

[attachmentid=28229]

Attached Files

Kathie Davidson
Colorado Springs, CO

#5 tapper

tapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2646 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

I believe there is a registry for mules though. I know they have a very, very active show circuit for "long ears" in some parts of the country. One of my personal favorite Jacks is General Pershing. He has been crossed with Arabian mares I beleive. They are quite cute. My dad has always wanted a mule as well, but he wants one that is part TN Walker (he likes gaited horses), with Pinto markings.
If April Showers bring May flowers, What do February blizzards bring? (besides increased sales in aluminum roof rakes :))

#6 SylvanValleyArabians

SylvanValleyArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:10 PM

Wow, that's really interesting, Thank-you!
I really shouldn't be complaining, at least my BF's interested! He's lived all his life in a city, and he'll soon be moving to a farm with me. LOL, maybe having a mule will keep him happy! I want a buckskin half-arab. So people can call us Marshall Dillan and Festus! LOL
Kristal
Sylvan Valley Arabians
Home of:

#7 tapper

tapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2646 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

Perfect. When my better half and i move, he would like a Shire to ride, because he likes the pretty feather. (rolling eyes). I tried telling him that a 17hh horse is a little big. I'm looking at Gypsy Cobs for him. Some of the vanners are around 15-16hh, but are stocky and feathered for him.

Personally, I prefer the arabs and quarters :) Really trying to convince him that a grulla QH mare (which was his idea until he saw a shire at a parade) would be better for him :) We looked at one yesterday, but she wasn't broke.. but she's a Hollywood Jac 86 gd, and has Triple Chick (my old gelding was a grandson of his..), another line to Three Bars, and a line to Go Man Go (my other gelding was a grandson of his). I really like her.. :)

Men!!!!
If April Showers bring May flowers, What do February blizzards bring? (besides increased sales in aluminum roof rakes :))

#8 SPRTHRS

SPRTHRS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:04 PM

Speaking as one who has ridden and shown both Arabs and Mules - I LOVE THEM! The mule that I rode and showed had the most comfortable gaits - she also jumped a 5' fence from a standstill (we watched her do it).
Dr. Robert Miller has mules and showed them at the Bishop, CA Mule Days shows - his trainer was none other than Nicki McGinnis (we boarded at Nicki's during that time). When Nicki was showing Jordass Jean, Nicki was showing "Jeanie" in everything from Working Cow to Hunter Over Fences. Nicki also boarded a Half-Arab mule at that time for one of her shoers. This was back in the early to mid 80's.

If Half-Arab Mules could be registered as Half-Arab, I would have one in a heartbeat. Don't forget that Mules are also known for being very sure footed because they put one hoof in front of the other.
MSU Autocracy (Ohadi Ben Rabba x FV Majestical Gold)
2006 Region 13 Champion SHIH Gelding Open
2006 Region 13 Champion SHIH Gelding ATH
2006 Hoosier Classic High Point Purebred SHIH

#9 tapper

tapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2646 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

I saw a lovely donkey once, show winner.. but I thought I'd share her name...

"Too Much Jack, Need a**-pirin"...
:)

#10 Megs

Megs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

ROFLMAO "...need an a** pirin!" GREAT STUFF!

#11 Guest_ArabianFancy_*

Guest_ArabianFancy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

I know where there is one. Fellow bred his SE mare to a Jack.... the SE folks with stroke I know! Have not seen the baby, not sure I wanted to ......... I tried to find a new home for the SE mare for him before he bred her.......... Baby should be about a year old, I saw the mare a few min ago in the pasture with no baby in sight.
Gina

#12 IreneA

IreneA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses obviously :)

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

[attachmentid=28234]Mules are great! I love my arabs but I've always had a real fondness for the long ears as well :) We've had a few over the years. Over twenty years ago we stumbled across a team of little pony size mules and a wagon. We had a blast with those guys! Not only were they lots of fun to drive, we would laugh ourselves silly when we would get on them bareback and ride them around. I hated parting with them but the area we lived in got so built up there was no where safe to drive them anymore. We also tried breeding a half-arab appy mare we had once to a jack in hopes of getting a spotted mule. Even though our baby came out solid, he was adorable and lots of fun. We named him Strike after the reigning National Champion Stallion at the time.

Now that we are living in a more rural area with dirt roads, we thought it would be fun to have some more mules so when I saw another team of white mules and a wagon, we jumped at the chance to get them. Our new girls are a blast and always make me smile. Not only is it fun to take the whole family out for a spin in the wagon but we are starting to ride them as well. When we first got on them, they had no idea what we wanted and wouldn't go. Now they are getting much more responsive. They are actually smooth gaited and fun to ride. We had the tractor guy cut some trails down the steep part of our property and some of them are almost straight down (didn't occur to him to switch back them). Those mules just go right down without a second thought and you feel safe on them doing it as they are so sure footed and don't spook at anything. The only problem we've had was that one of the girls is very round and has no withers so Brad and his saddle ended up sitting on her neck after one of the steep parts - LOL. Have to invest in some breeching for Snowball before heading downhill again :)

We also have a beautiful appy mule named Sam who is a real character. He is for sale as we just don't have time to ride them all. He's younger and has been professionally trained, gone camping, etc., just needs more miles. He is the mule in the photo.

Attached Files

Irene Aborn Flying A Ranch

NV Beau Bey (Bey Shah+ x Bint Miss Fire) Sire of Regional & National winners in Halter & Performance!
Mystic Jamaal (*Soho Carol by *Ali Jamaal x Alieka BR by *Ali Jamaal)
Black (NV Beau Bey x Black Silk by MS Rafiq)
Borsalino Bey (*Borsalino K x Beau's Dancer by NV Beau Bey)

#13 tapper

tapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2646 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

He's gorgeous Irene. I think I may have a new favorite boy at your place... lol.. don't tell Borsolino though.

#14 IreneA

IreneA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses obviously :)

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(tapper @ Dec 9 2006, 01:17 PM) View Post

He's gorgeous Irene. I think I may have a new favorite boy at your place... lol.. don't tell Borsolino though.

LOL - too funny! But Sam is gorgeous and very unique. I hate to part with him but just don't have the time to do them all justice. Sam needs someone who will ride him more regularly than I can.

Irene
Irene Aborn Flying A Ranch

NV Beau Bey (Bey Shah+ x Bint Miss Fire) Sire of Regional & National winners in Halter & Performance!
Mystic Jamaal (*Soho Carol by *Ali Jamaal x Alieka BR by *Ali Jamaal)
Black (NV Beau Bey x Black Silk by MS Rafiq)
Borsalino Bey (*Borsalino K x Beau's Dancer by NV Beau Bey)

#15 SylvanValleyArabians

SylvanValleyArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

Well, I'm starting to warm up to the idea, sounds like a lot of fun! LOL! My BF will be pleased... :)
Kristal
Sylvan Valley Arabians
Home of:

#16 meow

meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1578 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

Love my Arabs, but I do like mules and donkeys. I want another donkey.

My uncle drove a 20 up team for Borax back in the dark ages. He had horses, but he loved his big Kentucky mules. They were very handsome.

#17 Kit Khat

Kit Khat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

The American Donkey and Mule Society in Texas is the place to go for information, adverts on mules available, and registration information.

There are many shows. Long ears are very popular and for good reason.

There is no reason to denegrate the Mule. They are very useful.

Many, many moons ago a person registered a half Arabian mule and took it to some shows as there was no rule against it at the time. Trouble was, he did very well, and of course, the horrified Arabian people got the rule "other parent has to be a horse" put in. Actually I think the creature in question was really a Hinny, not a mule, but anyway, most of you wouldn't know the difference, it is the same cross with opposite parents.

He called her his "Half-A $ $ ed Arab" and was very proud of her and was badly treated by some.

You don't want one, fine. No reason to abuse others for different preferences.

Your boyfriend needs to be very smart and patient. You know they say with Arabs, it is necessary to have at least two more brain cells than the horse. Well, with donkeys and mules, many humans don't have enough of the little grey cells, as it were, if you get my drift. It goes more than double for them and especially if the horse parent is Arabian .........

#18 Kristine

Kristine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

There is a breeder of arabians in Alberta canada that switched to mules a few years ago.. she may know of where one is.

Kristine
Renex Equine
Home of

ES California Dreamin (Gazal Al Shaqab X AB Farenheit) SCID clear, and CA tested N/N
MC Shahreis Star (WN ULtimate Star X Bey Shahreis by Bey Shah+)
Psyfawn (Psytanium X Chelsea Dream by Magic Dream CAHR)
Chelsea Dream (Magic Dream X Annimashahn by Bey Shah+)

#19 Guest_desertarab_*

Guest_desertarab_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(SylvanValleyArabians @ Dec 9 2006, 01:59 PM) View Post

I spoke with the registry a few years ago and unless they have changed their rules they were going to register a foal I was planning on and it was a cross with my arab mare to a zebra. however the zebra died before we were able to bring the two together.
if your boyfriend is looking for a big horse I have a gorgeous black 1/4 horse mare. Had plans for crossing her with my stallion EA Golden Chalice, but my husband recently had a heart attack and heart surgery so I am forced to thin my herd by at least 1/2, good deals for someone looking for the right horse. Make some great Christmas presents.

#20 Guest_LEC_Trail_Rider_*

Guest_LEC_Trail_Rider_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:39 PM

My ears went up when I read the title of your thread!

My husband is convinced that mules are superior to horses and thus wanted one. Of course, me being completely consumed with Arab-itis and not willing to have anything other than an Arab, was of course trying to find him an Arab mule - this was back in 2003. Well, we found a mule but not an Arab mule.

The ONLY thing I can warn you about is that if you have a mare - and this information is totally unrelated to Arabs - is that a mule can get very attached to a mare. I am talking, attached so badly that he will tear down gates, fence and boards to get to her, especially if she leaves his sight. This is a common mule trait that has been exploited to keep large groups of mules going, where you want them to go!

http://www.gutenberg...8-h/10878-h.htm

Here is a quote from the article above:

Mules of all kinds, however, seem to have a peculiar fancy for white mares and horses, and when this attachment is once formed, it is almost impossible to separate them. If you want to drive a herd of five hundred mules any distance, turn a white or gray mare in among them for two or three days, and they will become so attached to her that you may turn them out, and they will follow her anywhere. Just let a man lead the mare, and with two men mounted you can manage the whole herd almost as well as if they were in a team. Another way to lead mules is, to put a bell on the mare's neck. The mules will listen for that bell like a lot of school children, and will follow its tinkling, with the same instinct.

NOW the reason I bring up this behavior is that I take my mare trail riding on @ 400 acres adjacent to my property - and once we would get out of sight, our mule would get out to chase us. It happened 2 or 3 times and after fixing boards, repairing fence, etc., I tried to find out WHY he was so attached to Ellie. A mule guy told me that it is just "a mule thing" and that no amount of training can change it. Another friend pointed out to me that this is why mule people usually ONLY have mules and vice versa - they are difficult to keep together. So our mule went away this summer.

NOW, given my experience with mules, I still do not dislike them; I have several friends that love them and I know that they have good traits. My husband is still determined to find one; I jokingly tell him that we should breed Ellie to a jack because I ran across some folks in MN breeding Arab mules and they were selling for about $ 10,000.00 !!! My mom says she will kill me if I do that with Ellie.

If you find any good ones, especially Arab Mules, please let me know too. And if anyone else here can give us some advice, please copy us, too.

EDITED: Oh, our mule WAS gelded too, so that was not the problem, although I was starting to wonder if he was proud cut. He would act very stud-dish around her, and sometimes aggressive - I saw him reach over and grab her by the throat more than once and I was NOT HAPPY! I would like to find out if this would happen with a female mule; the attachment to a mare. If it is not as much of a problem, then I might look for a molly mule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users