18 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

I was looking threw the new and notable adds on webpony and came across an add for a 6 month old Zebra for sale. Is this legal??? never heard of any one having one other than the zoos?....

Amanda

#2 Miss Mila

Miss Mila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

There is a woman here in the UK that owns and DRIVES her Zebra... they look awesome...

Not sure of her name though - sorry..!!
Do not keep anything for special occasions, because everyday you live is a special occasion.
Spend more time with your family, friends and your horses.

Kimberleigh Roulston-Bates
Proud owner of VA Milotkha (Pilot x TA Minuette by Algonkwin)

#3 Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

I dont plan on buying it just thought it was weird to see, and made me wonder about it.
Amanda

#4 rosebrok

rosebrok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5196 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:41 PM

I think you would have to have a wild animal license? Same as if you wanted to own lions and tigers..

Then again, I suppose you could own them though if called your place a "wildlife sanctuary"- but you would still need to have some kind of license or something.
Sissy Crane-Allard
KarenJann Artistry

#5 PaulaM

PaulaM

PaulaM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts
  • Interests:arabians - pure polish or polish cross

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

I beleive these animals fall into what is called "exotic". I also beleive you do have to have a license for one. Maybe each state is different on their requirements. Not sure tho so might want to check with your state here.
PalMar Arabians- An idiot who comes here to become a genious
Home to: MS Kora (Barisznikov X *Kampania) grey
MS Sweet Dreams (Padron Psyche X MS Safari)-Cht.
MS Surfire (MS Firedevil X MS Safari)- bay mare in foal
Pm Fire Echo (MS Firedevil X MS Kora) blk/grey filly
PM Sangiovase (DaVinci FM X MS Surfire) - bay yearling filly
PM DiAnna (DiVinci FM X MS Surfire) bay weanier
Lots of colts here too - cannot list

PM Surprise (Z. Baskatan X Snipette)- gelding

All our mares bottom lines go to pure polish Aladdinn, Bask, Comet and Bandos

#6 wyndski

wyndski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

I do not know if you need any special license or not. There is quite a few people down here who have zebras and also camels.
Home of....
Klassic El Sareei (*Tuhotmos X Faskhers Aradan(*Fakher El Din))
Haut Shaklat (*El Shaklan X I Desire(Dedication))
Muscabella (*Muscat X *Nizabella(Nizry))

#7 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Village Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, writing, ballroom dancing. Look for my articles on www.pacnwhorse.com and in Ride! magazine!

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

I don't know about the legality, but I have seen for sale ads for zebras before! One had a guy riding it!
Jennifer Walker
One Hot Lady (Unquestionably Hot x CF Farallon)

"My Treasures do not clink together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night"--Old Arab Proverb

Author of Bubba Goes National, available for pre-sale in April at http://www.vanillaheartpublishing.com.
Visit my blog at http://www.jenniferl...er.blogspot.com.

"People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling." --Perry Cox

#8 Pete Hiatt

Pete Hiatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

There could be Federal, state, and local regulations involving the Zebra. Any regulations would not be as intensive as that involving dangerous game.

There was a gal in Washington who owned one some years ago who bred him to horses. She wanted long necked mares as the Zebra has a compact nexk. The offspringwill have stripes although the color may be bay or chestnut with stripes. Those will be permanent, but a gray horse will have the black stripes disappear with age as color disappears with age in gray Arabians.

There are 4 major varieties of Zebras. Two of these are horse types and two are donkey types. At the end of the last ice age in America about 14,000 years ago we had zebras in America (along with African lions, camels, mammouths and other creatures not now living in America). The climate at that time was extremely dangerous and temperatures had incredible yearly and decade changes which many species could not endure. Early man also took a toll on many species.

Good luck with your zebra. It will be interesting to see how domesticated it is. Crosses between horses and zebras are common in Africa as the zebra crosses are more immune to African diseases and bugs.

#9 MysteryHorses

MysteryHorses

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

Well I know that there are people out there that breed Zebra's with horses and donkeys. So you most be allow.

http://www.nortexinf...anch/Zebra.html

http://izzza.com/index.htm

Mystery Mountain Arabians & Paints

#10 lkirby

lkirby

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Arabian and Peruvian Paso horses, Persian and British Shorthair cats, and Sidesaddle Riding & CDE Driving

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

You could also contact the American Donkey and Mule Society for answers at < www.lovelongears.com > about zebras and zebra hybrids.

When you have gone through fire, you won't fade in the sun.

#11 meadow valley

meadow valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Breeders of personable perfrormance horses since 1976<br />Specializing in Polish and Varian bloodlines<br />Now located in the Heart of the Ozark Mountains

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:14 PM

There were regularly ads in the Sacramento Bee for zebras. I think it falls under livestock, the same as a buffalo or bison. A guy down the road used to breed camels for racing, no special stuff required. Probably a state thing, but NAIS seems to cover it!
KR

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Muriel Strode

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

#12 Guest_cbj_*

Guest_cbj_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

Check out the Zorses and Zonkeys!!! Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on photo albums.
CBJ

http://www.spotsnstr...bum7Zonkeys.htm

#13 Relay

Relay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Polish arabians, track &amp; cross country running, history, vocal performance, politics, modeling, acting, and getting a good edumacation

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:01 PM

There were a couple of zebras and zorses at Midwest Horse Fair last year. It was fun to watch them be ridden around. I know there was a breeder around here for awhile.
Sarah Smith

From a boarding stable in Wisconsin.... *sigh* maybe when I marry rich.....

Equal Justice (The Chief Justice x Ta Ala Synduralaa) 88' gelding
GG Shahzam (Bit O Bey x Bohs Omenka) 98' mare
Into Wishin (Pinto/AWS registered) 93' mare
Oronoco (*Ganges x Paloma PR) 05' colt

#14 tapper

tapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2646 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:18 AM

Yes it's legal. There are several places that have them. It is illegal to import them now though.

There is an International Zebra Registry. I know Spots N Stripes zebras has Chapman and Grevy Zebras. Bedonna Quarters and Paints also has a Chapman Stud.
I find it fascinating that a male Zebra won't breed actually, until usually 5 or 6, sometimes even later (though some do at 4). Quite different that horses which will ASAP :)
If April Showers bring May flowers, What do February blizzards bring? (besides increased sales in aluminum roof rakes :))

#15 dcarabians

dcarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

There is an arabian horse farm that has a zebra.. I came across their website a couple months ago and can't for the life of me remember who the heck it is!! They even had professional pictures of it on their website, just as you'd photograph portraits of arabians. It was cool! I believe it was a girl zebra and her name was Zulu.

#16 Salila

Salila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Enurance riding - as breeder, official, strapper etc - no longer able to ride.<br /><br />Photography<br /><br />Breeding and judging arabian horses.

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:39 PM

A friend of mine trains horses and people for a living - does displays etc -and one of her 'big' jobs was working in Africa for a few weeks with a zebra at a refuge centre. The animal had become unruly and dangerous (I suppose it matured and it's natural instincts emerged) - and the owners wanted it to trained to be safe to be around.

Cynthia found it a VERY interesting time - they are even more different in their thinking and responses than donkeys or mules!

#17 tapper

tapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2646 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:55 PM

It's taken thousands of years to domesticate donkeys and horses to not have soem of the instincts a zebra will have. Zebras are the same as Lions and Tigers and bears (oh my), and are not domestic animals, and are especially dangerous if raised in a manner that leads them to not fear humans (a little) because they are then more likely to attack a human instead of run from them.
Something best left to own by people whom are very experienced with them.
If April Showers bring May flowers, What do February blizzards bring? (besides increased sales in aluminum roof rakes :))

#18 Samrdr1

Samrdr1

Tom Neese

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8603 posts
  • Interests:eventing/ fox hunting-DHH/Arab crosses/OTTBs/Saddlebreds

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

Before you're allowed to own one , you must first earn your stripes.

Tom N

Elmo BELIEVE this : " I've seen Jesus twice and I think I have fecal matter in my pants" A member of the Coal valley Hunt after a run

#19 Ghent

Ghent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:43 AM

Here's a Zorse filly & a painted one at that! Way cool!
Found at the website.... Spotsandstripes
[attachmentid=31089]

Attached Files

HIDDEN PINES SPORT HORSES
Proud home of:
HF GHENT
AZUMA
CORE-REDEPTION

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users