• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mmranch

mmranch

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, trail riding, raising dogs (rat terriers), IBO for Fastract products. We enjoy working with 4-H, FFA, and <br />trauma horses.

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

Attached File  Pic137.JPG   744.76KB   33 downloadsI am interested to find out if anyone out there has ever used this cross for endurance. We have several of these horses and can't seem to generate any interest from the endurance people. One of our horses rode an 80 mile trail ride a couple of summers ago and led the pack and didn't even crack a sweat in hot weather. His trouble was that he wanted to go fast and the other horses couldn't keep up with him.

Lorretta
color="#0000FF"][/color]email:

#2 toskhara too

toskhara too

*Christine

• Gold Sponsors
  • 5518 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

I have seen that a fair number of "mustangs" have been entered in the Tevis. None to my knowledge have won, a couple may have made the top 20.

I suspect that most people interrupt this as meaning that the mustang doesn't bring any properties to the party that make it superior to the Arabian. The Arabian typically dominates the top 20.

Like anything if you think that you have half Arabian mustangs that are superior to Arabians in endurance than you need to prove that by having them win a few top endurance rides.

It is the same for those that believe that the Arabian has something to add to the Open reining horse. Until horses with Arabian blood up close in the pedigree (half or quarter Arabians) win the NRHA Futurity the general opinion will remain that the best reining horses are QHs.
misposted under Christine's account, this post is by Dick.
Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo,
but what you want is someone that takes the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
O.Winfrey

#3 mmranch

mmranch

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, trail riding, raising dogs (rat terriers), IBO for Fastract products. We enjoy working with 4-H, FFA, and <br />trauma horses.

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

Yes, I suppose that is right. I don't know of any endurance rides in Missouri and if I did, my poor old body wouldn't withstand
the ride. We do a lot of trailriding, but 20 miles in a day is about all I can do. If I were a lot younger and in better shape, I would rather do this type of riding than any other. Does anybody know of rides held in northeast Missouri.

We have a really great place to have a ride within 30 miles of us, but I have not seen anyone interested in holding a rider there.
It is called Mark Twain Lake. Several years ago, we broke the trails with mules and you can ride 30 miles of trail straight through.
It is a beautiful lake and the trails are some difficult and some easy. We just went down there last weekend. There is a great campground just off the back of the trails with stalls and electric hookup. The guys are just setting it up, but it is very close to the
campground that the corp of engineers has too. There is a fun water park across the street and plenty of room for the boaters and the fisherman.

Anyway, if anyone decides they would like to ride it, let me know and we can take you through the trails.

Lorretta

#4 pandorasboxx

pandorasboxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Endurance, Politics, Music, A Life well-lived

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:16 PM

if you go to the aerc ride calendar, you can view the rides held in your region. Missouri is in the CT region. Looks like there was an endurance ride there in Collins, MO in March. Also one in April at Greensfelder County Park in Eureka and in May in Washburn MO. There is a two day endurance ride coming up in November in Collins MO. They are offering a 25 mile ride so that would be a good start to testing your horses.

I have heard of Arab mustang crosses in endurance. I guess it would depend on what type of mustang was being used. There is a mustang mare at my barn who is lovely with nice balanced conformation but is very thick bodied and heavily muscled. I would guess she had a significant amount of draft in her. She would not be a good type for endurance as she is easily fatigued in hot weather and does not like moving out for long stretches. But I bet she would make a great working western horse with that big rump and her lowset hocks.

If you know someone who could ride your horses for you that would be a start if you weren't able to do it yourself. And the CT region is a fairly active one. You may be able to find a mentor to help you thru it.

Hey, give it a whirl. Bet you surprise yourself. The endorphins mask the pain for at least 15 or 20 miles!

Here's a link to the regions and their ride calendars if you're interested.
http://www.doublejoy...d...&set=o:aerc
Kelly Lane in VA

"...virtue shall be bound into the hair of thy forelock... I have given thee the power of flight without wings." the Koran

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. - Thomas Jefferson"

#5 mmranch

mmranch

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

Wow, That is a great start ! Will try to work on this and get aquainted with some of these folks. We are planning to attend the cross country trail ride in Eminience, Missouri in October. We have been down there several times in the last 20 years and it is
a great time, but it is not competition riding. It is not really a great place to take a young horse as your only riding horse, but we plan to take one of the mustangs just to get them used to all the excitement.

They have all had lots of ring work, but not a lot of trail riding. Not that they can't handle it, but I haven't been able to handle it due to my health problems and the fact that my daughter kept us busy showing for the past 4-5 years. Now that she is in college,
we are planning to take a little time for trail riding.

Lorretta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users