• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 VestyNSH

VestyNSH

Advanced Member

• Gold Sponsors
  • 1453 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:30 AM

ROCK! Let's hear about the ones you know, the ones you own and how Hackney blood has added some fun and excitement to your life.

Karen

P.S. Thanks for this new forum, G
You get what you breed for

If you think breeding is a crap shoot, then its probably time to shoot the crap you're using for breeding.

#2 ladybug

ladybug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

My hackney/arab is simply the most THRILLING horse I've ever ridden. I love everything about this horse, which has further tweaked my interest in the breed & cross.

I was originally sucked in when GTF Sniperfire was locally purchased & started showing up at our local shows. WOW finally a horse around here that could TROT! Pure inspiration!

I'm eager to learn more about the hackney, as I've not spent much time with any PBs, except ponies who seem to be all horse in their minds!

Yes, THANKS G :-)
Sherri H., BC, Canada

"The horses have taught me everything and you have to listen to them…No matter what happens, the horse is stronger than you and it is not by force that you work, but with patience and understanding. It's about having an accomplice, not just a tool."
~Bartabas~

“...we need time. A horse's good years are from twelve to eighteen. If we destroy it before that, we are stupid.”
~Jean Bemelmans~

#3 natalienicotra

natalienicotra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:37 AM

When I was in college, I worked at the Whaley farm in NY. I am not sure if anyone knows of this family, but they are very prominent in the driving world on the east coast. I worked with all their little hackneys!

-Natalie

Natalie Nicotra-Angstadt

#4 Terri

Terri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4027 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:57 AM

I just bought half hackney English pleasure mare that will be delvered tommorrow and I can't wait. For years I've been looking at one that a rider from Joel Ganges barn rides and going Wow I want one like that. and I think I found it.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
John Kenneth Galbraith

It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
Voltaire

If I feed the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist. Helder Camara, Archbisop of Recife

#5 sunny

sunny

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:16 PM

My hackney experience was a little out of the ordinary. I purchased an El Ghazi/Hackney cross with big dreams. He was so talented, but just could not maintain a proper frame without going lame. One day, my trainer said I know this sounds crazy but what do you think about dropping him to hunter. I just laughed. And laughed. And laughed some more. Well, he has not taken a lame step since and is such a cool looking hunter! I have since sold him to a really nice lady to continue my "saddle seat" path. He has numerous Top Five's and Championships. It was heartbreaking to sell him. He has the most wonderful disposition and LOVES people. It was amazing how he tried and tried to tell us where HE wanted to be, not where WE wanted him to be! If only they could talk!! Anyway, LOVED the hackney cross!!!

#6 venita p

venita p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

i have a really AWESOME half hackney mare consigned to the addis sale this weekend........she is a definate park horse!!!!!!! almost ready to show and beautifull as well,wish me luck!!!!!!!!!1

#7 Tailurmaid

Tailurmaid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2707 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:06 AM

We bought our first Hackney/Arab cross last fall. Actually I had just left Nationals and was sitting in the airport doing the negotiations over the cell phone. My daughter had gone with someone else to look at her and went crazy. Her words were "I about wet my pants"!! My answer was if she is that good find out more.

Her name is LBC Ezabella, and is really neat little mare. She is by Bentlee and out of the Hackney mare Amazing Grace. She hasnt been shown yet but I think will be ready this fall, she is just 4. Strong EP, probably Park. zon.gif
Julane White
VJ Arabians
Citra Fl

#8 Leda

Leda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

I currently have 2 black purebred Hackney Horse mares (weanling and broodmare). The broodmare is bred back for a return service to the sire of the weanling.

I also have two Half-Arabian/Half-Hackney horse mares (4 and 6) both broke. One is an EP/CEP mare and the other is a HP mare - sire influenced action. Both mares are out of the broodmare above.

The 2 fillies that I bred previously have both been sold and are doing well for their new owners. The mare in MI is showing under saddle and just started in harness. The 2 year old in OH is working in harness, not sure if she has shown yet. I showed both in their Futurity (in hand) classes prior to selling them.

My weanling just won the Hackney Futurity class at the CNE and is available for sale.

#9 volte

volte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(venita p @ Aug 3 2005, 08:44 PM)
i have a really AWESOME  half hackney mare consigned to the addis sale this weekend........she is a definate park horse!!!!!!! almost ready to show and beautifull as well,wish me luck!!!!!!!!!1

View Post

I have a half-sister to this lovely mare (out of the same Hackney mare, Koopman's Parading Peacock), but mine is by Oran Van Bandy. Huge trot, hocks to die for, but mine's not so up-headed, so she's hit the sport horse scene with a bang. I've had her for a year, and in two regionals, she's racked up 12 top fives (from 12 classes entered) and champs/reserves in-hand, under saddle and in training and first level dressage. Lookin' forward to SHN next month (8 classes).

Nobody believes me when I tell them she's a Hackney cross. They should see her when she gets fired up - holy cow the Hackney comes out and she's a trotting machine! :)

Can anyone give me a lesson on the Koopman horses from Ontario, CA?

~volte
Proud owner of
Pavan ++/ (Oran Van Bandy x Koopman's Parading Peacock, Koopman's Jetro Parader)
Multi-Champion in Sport Horse and Dressage
L.A. Baltic Sunflower (L.A. Baltic Sun x L.A. Rose of Sweden, Burggraf)
Dressage at Devon veteran and rather comical broodmare

#10 Terri

Terri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4027 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:20 AM

My new half hackney arrived today. She's gorgeous. By Huck Finn a Huckleberry bey son and out of Hurstwood moonlight an imported English Hackney mare.. She was raised at Alexa's Good Thunder Farms . I won't ride her until Saturday.. It was a long trip from Illinois... and I can hardly wait.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
John Kenneth Galbraith

It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
Voltaire

If I feed the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist. Helder Camara, Archbisop of Recife

#11 nitemare

nitemare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Family, Arabian horses, Boxers and firefighting. Also own a wrecker service. <br />We use our horses in the fire department as Wildland Search and Rescue mounts.

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:13 AM

How 'bout some pics guys.........I've always liked the Hackney ponies (from pics that I've seen) they are my second favorite breed to the Arabian. These 1/2's sound like they are little dynamo's!!
Member of AHSBF
Fire fighters find 'em hot and leave 'em wet!!

Bint Baby (Valley-Y-Synder X Bint Beaurina) "Maggpies"
FVA Botany Bay (First Class X Beytifa) "Tootsie"
LWS Bahir Shawarh (Nobles Gallaleo X Meshanna SQA) "Shar-Shar"
SNJ Galaal Shareef (Galilleeo X LWS Bahir Shawarh) "Norman"
SNJ Serraangetee (Serrfaarri X Cremes Lillee) "Lil' Bit"
Dunkey, Guardian and protector of the herd, the mighty mini mule!!

In Memory of:
SNJ Synbad (Fargoh X Bint Baby) 4-17-06/10-21-07 The Biggest Little Horse

#12 Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

Well folks I have a half hackney boy that is awesome at everything he does. I purchased him to be my EP horse and he took a turn into the sports world. It had nothing to do with his conformation or trot. He just didn't want to be the center ring of walk, trot, canter. Instead he wanted to jump. And now we are off to dressage. He turns heads everywhere we go.

user posted image

In addition I have two hackneys coming to Florida the end of September. Both of them are sired by Canadance.

Oakbriar Devonair - yearling colt

user posted image

user posted image

#13 Terri

Terri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4027 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:29 AM

My mare Hi Fashion arrived. She's from Alexa's program at Good Thunder and she is everything I hoped for. The trainer said two weeks to get her softer in the bridle then I'll be on her. I can hardly wait.

Alexa, I guess good breeding shows.. you'd be proud of her.
John Kenneth Galbraith

Voltaire

#14 Leda

Leda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:25 AM

Here's my lastest Hackney Horse filly
user posted image

Canadian Empress (aka Leda)
born May 2/05
colour - BLACK
Sire: Canadance
Dam: Clovercroft Lucky Jenny
photo taken at 2 months

1/2 sister to the above OakBriar Devonair

Just won her Futurity class at the CNE in Toronto ON - next show is Aug 27/28.

She is available for purchase as is her full sibling expected April 2006.

#15 Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:14 PM

Don't forget Devonair's partner in crime... Bailey is available as well.. Awesome boy!

#16 Terri

Terri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4027 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:12 AM

My half hackney so far has the greatest mind and the best work ethic of any horse in the barn. Are they all this easy to be around? She also goes so strong off her hocks you have to set her up for the corners or she'll almost wipe out.. kind of like a car fishtailing when you step on the gas to hard.
My trainer said today if all half hackneys are like this she wants more in the barn asap.
John Kenneth Galbraith

Voltaire

#17 GoodThunderFarms

GoodThunderFarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:33 AM

[quote=Terri,Aug 11 2005, 01:12 AM]
My half hackney so far has the greatest mind and the best work ethic of any horse in the barn. Are they all this easy to be around?

Yesssssss. :>)) If you don't trap them.

Alexa

P.S. Congratulations on your new mare. She is out of my personal favorite mare Hurstwood Moonlight. Impeccable bloodlines from the leading breeders and trainers of Hackneys in the world, Cynthia and Frank Haydon. Have fun!!!!!

BarackObama.com

#18 Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE(Terri @ Aug 11 2005, 02:12 AM)
My half hackney so far has the greatest mind and the best work ethic of any horse in the barn. Are they all this easy to be around? She also goes so strong off her hocks you have to set her up for the corners or she'll almost wipe out.. kind of like a car fishtailing when you step on the gas to hard.
  My trainer said today if all half hackneys are like this she wants more in the barn asap.

View Post

My half hackney is the same way. The hackneys have a heart of gold and will devote their whole life to you. With the infusion of arabian blood into this breed this should come as no surprise.

The other nice thing about hackneys and crosses are they can be shown in EP/Park and then be dropped down to do sport horse divisions as well. Look at the warmbloods these days and remember the hackney breed was infused into their bloodlines as well.

#19 VestyNSH

VestyNSH

Advanced Member

• Gold Sponsors
  • 1453 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:23 AM

The blood relationship between and among the Hackney and Arabian is probably a lot closer than many realize. And when you get into digging into their origins and development, like many other breeds, they're pretty much of all Arabian blood that was taken in a different and specific direction. (Just as was done with Arabians that became a breed of race horses known as Thoroughbreds.)

Alexa can fill us in on this in greater specific details than I, but one of several notable contributing horses was a stallion owned by Mr. Shales (thus he is referred to as 'The Shales Horse'). If memory serves me correctly The Shales Horse was sired by Blaze, who was by Flying Childers, who was a son of Mr. Darley's Arabian. When this stallion was bred to the population of daughters of other Arabian and/or desert / oriental stallions the horse we now call the Hackney was developed through selection for specific charactistics. Charactistics which were present in this bloodstock and which were reproduced with regularity.

Even when suited blood was recorded in a different studbook, it was qualified and usable (ie: 'legal') up until just a little over a couple of decades ago. And, some TERRIFIC Hackney's continued to develop with direct use of Anglos. Which, of course, is/was an additional infusion of Arab blood. Their Stud Book is now closed.

Karen
You get what you breed for

If you think breeding is a crap shoot, then its probably time to shoot the crap you're using for breeding.

#20 GoodThunderFarms

GoodThunderFarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(VestyNSH @ Aug 11 2005, 11:23 AM)
The blood relationship between and among the Hackney and Arabian is probably a lot closer than many realize.  And when you get into digging into their origins and development, like many other breeds, they're pretty much of all Arabian blood that was taken in a different and specific direction.  (Just as was done with Arabians that became a breed of race horses known as Thoroughbreds.)

Alexa can fill us in on this in greater specific details than I, but one of several notable contributing horses was a stallion owned by Mr. Shales (thus he is referred to as 'The Shales Horse').  If memory serves me correctly The Shales Horse was sired by Blaze, who was by Flying Childers, who was a son of Mr. Darley's Arabian.  When this stallion was bred to the population of daughters of other Arabian and/or desert / oriental stallions the horse we now call the Hackney was developed through selection for specific charactistics.  Charactistics which were present in this bloodstock and which were reproduced with regularity. 

Even when suited blood was recorded in a different studbook, it was qualified and usable (ie: 'legal') up until just a little over a couple of decades ago. And, some TERRIFIC Hackney's continued to develop with direct use of Anglos.  Which, of course, is/was an additional infusion of Arab blood.  Their Stud Book is now closed.

Karen

View Post

Yikes Karen!!! I'm getting ready to go out of town on a two week Lewis and Clark trip to Montana. Paddling down the Missouri and camping out. Also going to Glacier Park and on up into Banff. I want to see the UNESCO site for the dinosaurs, Drumheller I believe is the name. ANYWAY . . . . I'll have my daughter try to answer your questions on the origins of the Hackney!!!! Meanwhile, off to pack the bug spray. in the VW. Alexa, from Saratoga to Banff, a camping we will go!!!!

BarackObama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users