156 replies to this topic

#1 stadnina koni

stadnina koni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

Horrific fires are burning east and northeast of Ramona, CA and heading west. They started yesterday and according to the map by San Diego Tribune, have burned, as of 11PM Oct. 21, from just west of Santa Ysabel to Ramona. This area encompases huge areas populated by many large horse farms including North Arabians (Padron Psyche). The map shows that the Southerland Dam Rd, where they are located, has burned.

As most of us sit safely in our homes, or at Nationals, lets give thought to the devastation that MAY HAVE befallen the Norths and many other farms. (IMPORTANT: IT IS NOT CLEAR IF THE NORTH'S PLACE HAS BURNED but the area has according to the maps) The firefighters are miracle workers, and they have saved many homes by taking a stand. They fight for the homes and structures and hopefully they have saved the North's farm.

I wish that my dear friends Dixie and Bob are safe, and their horses are safe. May you all be spared!

To the east of them (toward the source of the fire) is the huge Golden Eagle Thoroughbred farm and EA Thoroughbreds as well as hundreds of homes, farms and ranches. GE and EA probably have 300+ horses. Rescue groups go into these areas to pull out animals, but the roads in and out are two lane, and many are closed now.

I have experienced these fires, which is the major reason I left So. Ca. Twice it burned within two blocks from my farm. One cannot get the idea of the horrific power through tv. The roar makes it impossible to hear someone shouting in your ear, the fires can cover the surface of the land at up to 90 miles per hour. The sparks and fireballs can cross 6 lane freeways and start anew. Tornado like fire spirals go 60-70 feet into the air. And of course the smoke, and then the loss of oxygen. When one fire burned near my home in Valley Center, Dixie took *Goliat, *Algomej, and some other horses to her place which was safe at the time. I wish I could do something for them but Maryland is far, far away.

According to photos and video on the news website show that the fire has burned into the town of Ramona, and as of the map is into the main area of the east side of the town. This doesn't count all the outlying areas, subdivisions, and private homes. Map was drawn as of 11:00 PM last night.

If one wants to look then there are videos and maps on www.signonsandiego.com It is called the Witch Creek fire. There are sad still photos of horses running in their corrals as the fire approaches, and horses tied to posts along the street so someone can pick them up in rescue. There are only so many rescue trailers, and those go an hour and a half to Del Mar Track to drop off rescued animals, and then have to drive back. Most are only two or three horse vans. When I evacuated it was in the middle of the night, loading into any van that came. I had no idea who owned the trailers, nor where they were going, but death was imminent if one stayed. Sparks swirling, lights from the trucks, and the roar of the fire and orange glow which is really unearthly. Loaded up yearlings who had never been in a van, older mares, weanlings, and sent them down the road. We had evacuated the stallions that afternoon as a precaution, but the fire was buring in a different direction. During the night the winds shifted and the fire split into two directions, the one coming toward me and another toward another town. Eleven people died in this fire, and many homes burned. And this was a "small" fire! It truly is a nighmare beyond the worst. And yes, I did get all the horses back, and with overflowing gratitude that people do this. I also went on rescue runs with my trailer when it happened to others.

The Witch Creek fire is also burning toward the world famous San Diego Wild Animal Park where they have endangered species breeding programs (like the California Condor which was brought back from extinction) as well as one of the finest facilities for an immense variety of animals.

These fires are truly Hell, and my heart goes to the Norths and all those who are in danger and their precious animals be they horses, cats, dogs, and wildlife.

I hope everyone does what they can, be it sending good thoughts, prayers, or if one is local, rescue trailers...and to be grateful for what we have been spared.

Marsha
Canterbury Farm
Pure Polish Arabians

#2 mmranch

mmranch

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, trail riding, raising dogs (rat terriers), IBO for Fastract products. We enjoy working with 4-H, FFA, and <br />trauma horses.

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:41 AM

Oh God! I wish we were closer so we could help! I pray that all the horses are o.k. and the other critters too! Is there anything we can do besides pray? Maybe, we at abh should think about keeping a list of items that may be needed and a list of people who might need our help.

Lorretta
color="#0000FF"][/color]email:

#3 Sandee Andrews

Sandee Andrews

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2194 posts
  • Interests:http://www.ReflectionSA.com

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:52 AM

Last time Dixie evacuated she took her horses to Ventura Farms since there is plenty of room there.

If anyone needs horse evacuation help please PM me for my cell number. We are happy to help.

Sandee Andrews

Please, Someone, Tickle Me.

#4 JRTsRUs

JRTsRUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3264 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

Wow! This is all so sad, and if I were closer (than Texas) I'd sure put forth the effort to help, as I'm sure most would.

PLEASE keep us informed if you get further info!!!
Brenda Laurel
Laurel Arabians

- Founder of the Arabian Horse Rehoming Resource, with help from so many here on ABH and in the Arabian horse community
- Supporter of the Arabian Horse Foundation
Standing: Psylebrty of Fame (Legacy of Fame x Maggity Ann, by Magnum Psyche)

#5 billie940

billie940

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2228 posts
  • Interests:Since 1978, Breeder of Pure/predominately Polish Arabians. Concentrated *BASK bloodlines. The last two years introduced *WIKING bloodlines to the breeding program, some very nice foals as a result. <br />Next year will breed to MS FIREDEVIL( Padrons PsycheXAerial Fire Echo) for 2008 foals.

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:27 AM

This strikes such fear in my heart for all involved!

Dante's depiction of Hell is mild compared to this, I wish there was something I could do...but Texas is far away also.

When did the fires start? Was it after Nationals began? Certainly the North's have a plan in place for such as this, hopefully!!

www.lovenwararabians.com

Billie Glosser
Love N' War Arabians
Denton, TX 76207

#6 mmranch

mmranch

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, trail riding, raising dogs (rat terriers), IBO for Fastract products. We enjoy working with 4-H, FFA, and <br />trauma horses.

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

Do we have anyone from that area that can give us a little idea how we can help? Is there a rescue place that will house these animals until they can be placed appropriately?

Also, does anyone have a list of ABH'ers who are in that area where we can find out if they need anything?

Lorretta

#7 Lisbeth

Lisbeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2392 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:58 AM

I'm not sure what I can do from up here either, but let us know if you come up with some way we can be of help!
Beth Sandland
Sandy, OR

And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

#8 BaskIsBest

BaskIsBest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3479 posts
  • Interests:Halter

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

My friend Richard Dewalt is in Ramona and I haven't been able to reach him on his cell or home phone so I'm very worried about him and his herd of horses. He has 80-100 horses on the property so I hope everyone sends good thoughts his way. We were supposed to fly in to Nationals on Wed arriving in the afternoon, but I'm sure this is the last thing on his mind if his horses or his home are in danger.
A wise man knows much but says little, a Fool knows little but says far too much....

Toni Sullivan
Deer Creek Farm

#9 mmranch

mmranch

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:16 AM

If you hear from him, let us know!

Lorretta

#10 emmalou

emmalou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

They have evacuated the entire town of Ramona. The fire has entered Poway and Rancho Bernardo - jumped the 15. They are evacuating there as well.

My sister lives in Lakeside and just called to tell me there is a fire at El Cap reservoir and they are being warned of evacuation. My trainer is in Lakeside and is packing.

There is a fire by CSU San Marcos and evacuations in effect there.

The fire is very close to the Wild Animal Park.

There are lots and lots of horses in all these areas.

I hate this. It's the cedar fire all over again. There was a fire chief on this morning saying he thinks this is going to be worse.

They are saying that the best way to donate is through the Red Cross.

#11 emmalou

emmalou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(BaskIsBest @ Oct 22 2007, 12:12 PM) View Post
My friend Richard Dewalt is in Ramona and I haven't been able to reach him on his cell or home phone so I'm very worried about him and his herd of horses. He has 80-100 horses on the property so I hope everyone sends good thoughts his way. We were supposed to fly in to Nationals on Wed arriving in the afternoon, but I'm sure this is the last thing on his mind if his horses or his home are in danger.

Toni, the cell phone lines are jammed. I haven't been able to get through to my family, except sporatically.

All of Ramona was evacuated. With that many horses, I don't know what he would have done. I used to live pretty close to Richard, hopefully he was able to get out. I don't think the fire is in that part of Ramona though. It seems like it is in Northern Ramona.

#12 Hilary

Hilary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6661 posts
  • Interests:Anything and everything to do with horses, in particular ARABIANS!

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(BaskIsBest @ Oct 22 2007, 12:12 PM) View Post

Oh no, Toni!

This is a horrific thing for all of us so far away, who can't be there to help get them all out.

For you, I am so sorry for you personal worry over your friend Richard in Ramona and his herd. This is terrifying to even read about....I can't imagine how concerned and frantic you are. I certainly would be.

Scratch that, I am.

My son and his wife live in Long Beach but have no trailers etc. to help in that way, nor land even to put some horses on, or I would call and direct them. They live on a cliff over the ocean next to Trump International (Golf Course). Darn! What good is that?!

Please let us know if and when you hear from your friend Richard.

Sending prayers and all good thoughts winging his way and for everyone else, like Dixie and the TB Farms, that are in harms way.

Gob Bless them all and keep them safe, along with all those trying to stop the fires!

Hilary VD04.gif

#13 Hilary

Hilary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(mmranch @ Oct 22 2007, 10:41 AM) View Post
Oh God! I wish we were closer so we could help! I pray that all the horses are o.k. and the other critters too! Is there anything we can do besides pray? Maybe, we at abh should think about keeping a list of items that may be needed and a list of people who might need our help.

Lorretta

GREAT idea, Loretta!

It makes me feel less helpless when I can not get to those in need, after, or during, a natural disaster!

Kind of an ABH WORKING version of FEMA ...........but organized and ready to send what is needed, and distributed, overnight for immediate use etc..

Droughts in the LA area and GA. among others, flooding in other states, tornados ripping up farms, forest and brushfires...................there is certainly a need for what you suggest.

Great idea.

Hilary

#14 Roulett

Roulett

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 4798 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

The fire is everywhere .................. it started in Malibu Canyon and is still going, Topanga Cyn had many open H/J trainers that all had to
evac last night........... My trainer is on Evac alert to help others b/c the fire is not at our barn yet ........... we are north of Malibu so, so far
we are fine ............... on a personal level .......... I was having a new roof put on my house, it's only half done and the roofers cannot finish
due to the heat and wind ........... so I only have half a roof on my house. We can smell the fire ..........

I've been thru this before, 13 years ago ........... it's so hard to get a handle on fire storms because they jump and move so fast. One of the
Animal Hospitals burned down in Malibu but all the sick animals were saved. I was able to get to see Sasha yesterday, and could see the fire
from Malibu ............ Anyone having horses in the Malibu area needs to exac to Pierce College ............ that's it from my area of the fire!!!

Angelique
Proud owner of Russian Roulett+
http://russianroulett.net/Tribute.html
2003/2004 USEF HOTY, Reg. 2 H/J
2005 Special Recognition/Ambassador Award as a JUMPER!
2006 - Senior Masters winner
2007 - 18 Division Championships --- 2 reserves --- besting over 1200 jumpers
2008 - retires as #65 in the Centennial 100 list

#15 Roulett

Roulett

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 4798 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

Currently, on TV, they are showing horses running loose in Malibu. The water dropping planes are spooking the hell out of them. This is in Carbon Cyn
in Malibu. Canyon Country is a disaster ........ Pacific Coast HWY is closed in all directions so if you know someone who has to Exac, they must go
to Pierce College on the other side on the hill.
Angelique
Proud owner of Russian Roulett+
http://russianroulett.net/Tribute.html
2003/2004 USEF HOTY, Reg. 2 H/J
2005 Special Recognition/Ambassador Award as a JUMPER!
2006 - Senior Masters winner
2007 - 18 Division Championships --- 2 reserves --- besting over 1200 jumpers
2008 - retires as #65 in the Centennial 100 list

#16 Hilary

Hilary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Roulett @ Oct 22 2007, 12:37 PM) View Post
The fire is everywhere .................. it started in Malibu Canyon and is still going, Topanga Cyn had many open H/J trainers that all had to
evac last night........... My trainer is on Evac alert to help others b/c the fire is not at our barn yet ........... we are north of Malibu so, so far
we are fine ............... on a personal level .......... I was having a new roof put on my house, it's only half done and the roofers cannot finish
due to the heat and wind ........... so I only have half a roof on my house. We can smell the fire ..........

I've been thru this before, 13 years ago ........... it's so hard to get a handle on fire storms because they jump and move so fast. One of the
Animal Hospitals burned down in Malibu but all the sick animals were saved. I was able to get to see Sasha yesterday, and could see the fire
from Malibu ............ Anyone having horses in the Malibu area needs to exac to Pierce College ............ that's it from my area of the fire!!!

Oh Lord Angelique, my prayers are with you. Please be safe.

I am horrified and devastated that so many of us can be no help at all in evacs. right now...............it is terrible to be so far from so much need.

Take care Angelique and may God Bless you and your and keep you safe and assist and protect the fire fighters who try so hard to attack and stop these monsters.

Hilary VD04.gif

#17 emmalou

emmalou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

A girl on another board I am on lost her house in Ramona. She doesn't know what happened to her horse, but think he was evacuated. So incredibly horrible.

#18 Southwinde

Southwinde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(Roulett @ Oct 22 2007, 09:47 AM) View Post
Currently, on TV, they are showing horses running loose in Malibu. The water dropping planes are spooking the hell out of them. This is in Carbon Cyn
in Malibu. Canyon Country is a disaster ........ Pacific Coast HWY is closed in all directions so if you know someone who has to Exac, they must go
to Pierce College on the other side on the hill.

They showed the same kind of thing up in Aqua Dulce as well. So far, the Aqua Dulca/Canyon Country fires are the worst going on in So CA right now--over 29,000 acres (at 6 AM PDT). There were nearly two dozen horses running along a path about 300 yards ahead of the fire, and the newscaster said that the helicopter followed them and literally drove them on and they finally got to a safe area. Winds in that area have been clocked at up to 108 mph.

Another alternative to Pierce College are the Ventura County Fairgrounds. They are accepting livestock as well.

The Governator has declared a state of emergency in seven So CA counties so far, from Santa Barbara Cty to San Diego.

Diane

#19 AA Wish

AA Wish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:arabians<br />dressage<br />piano<br />study of ancient writings

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

Wow....it's hard to imagine what you all are going thru. Our prayers are with you!
Is there, in all republics, this inherent, and fatal weakness?....Must a government, of necessity, be too strong for the liberties of its own people, or too weak to maintain its own existence?" Abraham Lincoln

#20 mmranch

mmranch

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

Anybody got trailers coming this way? If anyone has something coming this way, I would be more than happy to put them up.
I have extra stalls and some extra beds! I wish I could help more! Is there anyway, we can start a fund for these folks?
Or even a transportation fund for transporting them to safety?

Lorretta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users