20 replies to this topic

#1 PennyB

PennyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

While I was at the feed store, I ran into a lady buying rice bran, and asked her why, and she said for weight. I'm from antedeluvian era, and am not up on the latest..... EDUCATE ME!

I always used corn chops for weight, or corn oil. Or when I was working with TBs we fed "Gain Weight" supplement (that dates me, huh?)

I have 2 "hard keepers," 1 mare, 24, pregnant, arthritis from old injuries (this will be her last, I won't breed her again, tho I LOVE her babies!) She's a lean tall lanky girl, and kind of a hard keeper. I'm feeding her SafePerformance, soybean meal. I'm also thinking of Total Joint Care for her. She went for a ride in the manure spreader as a youngster, and has 1 good leg and 1 good eye.

Stallion, 21, who is a pacer. He gets corn chops and Safe Performance.

All get free choice grass hay, mineral blocks. The other 16 are all fat pigs on no grain at all!
PLB

#2 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:10 PM

rice bran is high is omega fatty acids so it is an excellent source of fat. I use it for most of my show horses and think that it is fantastic for hard keepers!!! I love the stuff.

I was having difficult keeping weight on my 27 yr old stallion last year and had tried ALL of the senior grains without luck- but once I switched him to TRIPLE CROWN SENIOR- which is fortified with Ricebran he suddenly blossumed. I truly think that the ricebran is what made the difference!
Darcy Safin
Home of *Stanislav (*Mag x *Statistika)
Breeding a few good sporthorses in the quiet corner of Connecticut.

#3 PennyB

PennyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

How do you feed it? Does it have to be wet, like wheat bran or beet pulp?
PLB

#4 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

nope- it is a powder or a oil- I use the oil form because I have some powder shufflers;) The TC Senior has it all mixed in likea sweet feed- I don't know what form they use.
Darcy Safin
Home of *Stanislav (*Mag x *Statistika)
Breeding a few good sporthorses in the quiet corner of Connecticut.

#5 meow

meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1578 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

Have been using the "powder" for several use and it works. Start out with adding a pound to their feed per day then you can add an additional pound if needed up to three pounds per day.

#6 dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians

Dreamcatcher Arabians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

Penny,
I get great results with the soy bean meal. My vet recommended it whe I got in a mare who wasn't responding to the rice bran I was using. It's also about 1/3 the cost of stabilized rice bran. I feed Safe Choice, Sr., Soy bean meal, 1/2 c corn oil and vitamins. My skinny minnies are NOT so skinny anymore!
***eta*** forgot the salt and the free choice grass hay
Pat Lowe
Dreamcatcher Arabian Horses

Proudly owned by:
Dawn Patrol DCA
Fetyszka
Sana's Magic Dreamlet DCA
Odbitka
Lucky Lad (QH)
LA Peppermint Patti (Saddlbred/Arab x)

And 3 Foster Horses who have stolen our hearts!

#7 kirsten

kirsten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, painting, gardening

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:15 PM

rice bran is high is omega fatty acids so it is an excellent source of fat. I use it for most of my show horses and think that it is fantastic for hard keepers!!! I love the stuff.

I had an older big boned *Padron daughter that was a hard keeper--rice bran, besides being very expensive, did zilch for her. We ended up feed a mixture of 3 lbs sweet feed, 2 lbs. beet pulp (fed idry--it then soaked up the oil) and 1 1/2 cups veg. oil twice a day when she had a foal at foot--worked beautifully and she would stay in good weight. She got half that amount when not nursing. Now days, because I don't like oil stains on all my clothes, image001.gif I have switched to black oil sunflower seeds instead of the oil--horses love 'em!

#8 Ms Cake

Ms Cake

• Equipac Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:15 PM

I used to feed rice bran oil to my older Saddlebred mare. I loved it!!! I searched the web to try to find the most affordable place to buy and found this...

http://www.honestfoo...pricbranoi.html

The container is huge, but by far an excellent deal. And you can always pour some into smaller containers for daily use.

#9 PennyLane

PennyLane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Arabian and half Arabian horses. Reading, Oil painting and drawing.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

We gave it to our stallion while he was in training a few years ago. Equi-Jewel was the name. He was in really good weight the whole time he was on it, and had the shiniest coat too. Good stuff.

Ann
Dragonfly Farms and Natural Hoofcare
www.DragonflyFarmsHoofcare.com

#10 Bandit

Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Not letting people slander my good name in public on this forum.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:30 PM

Doesnt rice bran have an enormous amount of phosphorus in it? What one concentrate is fed containing enough Calcium to counteract that and at what rate per pound of each? Or do you have to add up the total calcium content in all the feed given at one feeding to counterbalalnce the offset of calcium?

I dont know if I could feed enough beet pulp and alfalpha at one feeding to do that. Maybe though.

Edit: The only reason I dont know if I could feed that much food rich in calcium in one feeding is because of the bulk it might take to make up for the phosphorus percentage of the rice bran.
Good judgement comes from experience, and alot of that comes from bad judgement-Will Rogers.
The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection-Thomas Paine.
The Arabian horse. If God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.
Everything I write here on ABH is my own opinion, unless stated otherwise.

#11 meow

meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1578 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

You should ask your vet that question Bandit. Feed the rice bran to my founder stallion as he had to be kept low on protein/carbs and no alfalfa (he hates grass hay). Also give him Purina Senior which my vet loves for the older/founder horses.

#12 Bandit

Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Not letting people slander my good name in public on this forum.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

I would ask my vet meow but weve been down that conversation alley. He suggests that commerically mixed feed with processessed grain by products as the main ingredient are what I should be feeding. I disagee on that point. He also thinks that I shouldnt feed beet pulp because of the possibilites of chock. I disagree there too and thats how the conversation about feeding horses goes with us. Not that thats a bad thing really, I just am not going to feed processed grain by products as my main concentrate ingredient to my horses.
Good judgement comes from experience, and alot of that comes from bad judgement-Will Rogers.
The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection-Thomas Paine.
The Arabian horse. If God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.
Everything I write here on ABH is my own opinion, unless stated otherwise.

#13 meow

meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1578 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

Don't know what state you are in, but how about calling UC Davis (Calif) or U of Colorado and talking to a nutritionest (sp) in the vet school?

Just saw you are in Texas - what about calling A&M?

#14 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

Like others have mentioned, the major concern with rice brain is the Ca:Phosphorous imbalance, however, I know Equi-Jewel has the necessary balancer in it to maintain a healthy Ca:P balance. :)

It helped a thin mare keep weight on last year and worked pretty well. Works for quite a few horses, I think, however it's not a cure-all (I don't think anything is really).

#15 tapper

tapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2646 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:18 AM

I have a friend whom is rescuing a TWH/SB cross gelding (that is uglier than sin, and has the most "interesting" gaits one has ever seen..). He was about 600 lbs when she got him out of an auction, and he's 16.2hh, very underweight. He's gained about 300 lbs since she brought him home last September, slowly but surely gaining weight. She feeds him Source (the weight gain one), Digest Aid, and Healthy Coat oil (she started that one because she thought it may help him grow back a coat.. he had really bad rain rot, bugs, etc). It seems to be working well. He isn't a very "easy keeper", doesn't like to eat it seems (I had a SB like that actually), prefers to be moving, barely stops long enough to take three bites of grain or hay. She added the oil in November, and he's really been blossoming since then. She's named him "Hottie". He does think he is though :)
If April Showers bring May flowers, What do February blizzards bring? (besides increased sales in aluminum roof rakes :))

#16 myhorse

myhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, music, well just enjoying life.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:14 AM

I feed Triple Crown Senior as well and LOVE IT! My older stallion with teeth problems has always been hard to maintain a good weight. Ever since swicthing to TC Senior I feed half the amount of other feeds and don't have to sock his feed as long. It is a beet pulp based feed fortified with Rice Bran and probiotics. It is by no means the cheapest per bag but is worth it in the long run.

#17 Lou82

Lou82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Equine medicine, Arabian & Half-Arabian horses, equine reproduction, equine internal medicine, sports medicine of the equine athlete.

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

Doesnt rice bran have an enormous amount of phosphorus in it? What one concentrate is fed containing enough Calcium to counteract that and at what rate per pound of each? Or do you have to add up the total calcium content in all the feed given at one feeding to counterbalalnce the offset of calcium?
Generally speaking, rice bran is high in phosphorus, which could cause an inverse calcium to phosporus ratio if it wasn't counterbalanced. However, any producer of a rice bran for equine use worth their weight in salt would add a sufficient amount of calcium to correct this. Triple Crown is one example of a producer that does this with their rice bran product. I used rice bran with my pregnant mare, and she loved it although it turns into a paste when saliva mixes with it and it would get stuck on the front of her upper teeth and she would try to lick it off. image001.gif

Don't know what state you are in, but how about calling UC Davis (Calif) or U of Colorado and talking to a nutritionest (sp) in the vet school?

Colorado State University has the veterinary school (I am a senior DVM student there). University of Colorado is our biggest school rival, and we don't like to speak of them here. lol zon.gif

Lindsay
Lindsay Mathre

"Tekno" (The Color of Fame x PDA Red Dawn by Bask Calomine)
2007 Chestnut Half-Arabian Gelding - registration pending as Teknocolor Fame MA

PDA Red Dawn (Bask Calomine x O B Joyful by Witrask+)
1993 Chestnut Arabian Mare

Zarkhemo (Gazarr++ x Khitten by Khemosabi++++//)
1987 Bay Arabian Gelding

Munchkin (Rescue and Honorary Arabian)
Unknown Age Chestnut Flaxen Dwarf Mini Mare (28")

#18 PennyB

PennyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Lou82 @ Jan 17 2008, 02:22 PM) View Post
Colorado State University has the veterinary school (I am a senior DVM student there). University of Colorado is our biggest school rival, and we don't like to speak of them here. lol zon.gif

Lindsay

Delighted to meet you Lindsay! C'mon down and meet the crew!

Yes, CSU is THE vet school! UC wouldn't know the butt end of a cow....

Would love for you to meet Bint Czina, and make a project of her poor arthritic legs.
PLB

#19 efir

efir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(kirsten @ Jan 15 2008, 03:15 PM) View Post
I had an older big boned *Padron daughter that was a hard keeper--rice bran, besides being very expensive, did zilch for her. We ended up feed a mixture of 3 lbs sweet feed, 2 lbs. beet pulp (fed idry--it then soaked up the oil) and 1 1/2 cups veg. oil twice a day when she had a foal at foot--worked beautifully and she would stay in good weight. She got half that amount when not nursing. Now days, because I don't like oil stains on all my clothes, image001.gif I have switched to black oil sunflower seeds instead of the oil--horses love 'em!

WOW I have mentioned Sunflower seeds to a lot of people and they think I am crazy...but it really does work great and their coats get extra shiny...and they are CHEAP!!!!

#20 kirsten

kirsten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, painting, gardening

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(efir @ Jan 17 2008, 06:45 PM) View Post
WOW I have mentioned Sunflower seeds to a lot of people and they think I am crazy...but it really does work great and their coats get extra shiny...and they are CHEAP!!!!

The thing I like is how much better they hold their color when on sunflower seeds--my liver chestnut stallion is out 24/7 and before sunflower seeds he bleached horribly in the summer and looked nasty all winter until spring shedding; however, he has been on 2 cups of seeds a day + 1.5 cups oats (very easy keeper!) for the last year and right now his coat is a rich burgundy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users