• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bandit

Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Not letting people slander my good name in public on this forum.

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

My yearling colt developed an abscess in his front left hoof. I was weaning him and he was pacing alot and low and behold somehow he had gotten himself a pretty good abscess in his hoof.

I really dont like giving babies bute but I gave him some for a few days, soaked the leg in epson salt and the abscess broke thru. Normally Id open the hoof sole to let the abscess drain but doing that is such a pain in the butt to treat because of all the duct tape that has to be used to keep the hole in the sole from getting debris in it. Looking back I can see that I wasnt being to smart about letting it rupture thru at the coronet band though because the colts relative lighter weight compared to a grown horse would of not dictated the use of so much duct tape and bandaging. Also Ive never dealt with a abscess at the coronet line but Ive heard they are easier to treat than one that has been opened at the sole.
Well it seemed that way initially but now Im not so sure that is the case because Im treading on unknown ground and Im at a loss about how to proceed from here so Im on here asking you guys for advise about this.

My main question is how is this hole in the coronet band going to affect the growth of new horn on his hoof? Also, the hole there doesnt seem to be filling in as readily as it does when the abscess has been drained from the sole. Is this normal?
I read on the web that I can either stick clay or a gause in the hole to keep from having to bandage the whole hoof but none of the articles address the way the hoof will grow out from the coronet band.
The colt is doing fine on the foot now as far as walking. I just dont think the hole is filling in as fast as it should and I dont want to keep bandaging the whole coronet band and fetlock simply because the colt keeps trying to take the vetwrap off and he could inadvertently cause the wrap to tighten around his fetlock during the night.
Thank yall for any helpful hints here.
Good judgement comes from experience, and alot of that comes from bad judgement-Will Rogers.
The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection-Thomas Paine.
The Arabian horse. If God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.
Everything I write here on ABH is my own opinion, unless stated otherwise.

#2 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4971 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

would those splint boots that have a part tha also covers the hoof work? with a bandage under it?

I assume he is on antibiotcs, etc............

#3 billie940

billie940

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2228 posts
  • Interests:Since 1978, Breeder of Pure/predominately Polish Arabians. Concentrated *BASK bloodlines. The last two years introduced *WIKING bloodlines to the breeding program, some very nice foals as a result. <br />Next year will breed to MS FIREDEVIL( Padrons PsycheXAerial Fire Echo) for 2008 foals.

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

Are you giving him antibiotics? I just finished treating a mare that had a stick or piece of a tree stuck in her sole and it abscessed at the bulb of the heel. She got penicillin for three days and SMZ's for 10 days. I cleaned the hole with iodine then packed Epson salt in the hole, poured iodine on the Epson salt dipped a thick piece of cotton (kotex) in Iodine duct tape then cotton brown gauze the vet wrap. I hate doing all that, plus she kept stomping her foot down while we were trying to get all this done. The opening to the abscess closed over, but I don't know how long it took, sometime within the 10 days. Also, had thick cotton(the other half of the Kotex) on the cornet band where the abscess was.

Good luck with him it's a scary thing!
www.lovenwararabians.com

Billie Glosser
Love N' War Arabians
Denton, TX 76207

#4 Bandit

Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Not letting people slander my good name in public on this forum.

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

[quote name='billie940' post='387813' date='Jan 25 2008, 07:50 PM'](the other half of the Kotex) {/quote]

What are you doing over there Billie? Youve got me crackin' up over that but hey if it works Im willing to try it.

No I didnt have him on antibiotics until today. It started raining here today and the bandage slipped or he pulled at it too much, so now here we go with the antibiotics. I really dont think he needed them up until now because Im sure the the damage wasnt caused by a foreign object. BUT hes on penicillin now. The wound has been healing nicely but I can see inside the hoof cavity thru that little hole. The hole is about the size of a pea.

I dont know about those splint boots siiamese but Ill check into them.

Thanks for your suggestion Billie. Thats they way Ill bandgage the wound. Kotex and all. Hahaha

Oh, I learned about a really cool ointment called Ichthammol from this. Its a drawing sauve. The last day the abscess was draining I used it on it. It was DONE draining after that. Its great to use on splinters and things such as this, even on humans. I would of just wrapped the hoof in it instead of soaking it in epson salt if Id of known about the stuff before then.
Good judgement comes from experience, and alot of that comes from bad judgement-Will Rogers.
The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection-Thomas Paine.
The Arabian horse. If God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.
Everything I write here on ABH is my own opinion, unless stated otherwise.

#5 JBD

JBD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

We treated some really bad abscesses when my mare foundered. She had started shedding her hoof at the coronet band so you can imagine the mess. Of course we wrapped all that.

Keeping it clean and dry is best of course. If you want to continue bandaging, I found that having some sort of pad (or Blllie's sort of pad) over the hole, use a gauze roll wrap over that to hold it while you finish, cotton bandaging and vet wrap or whatever on top. And you are right it won't last too long.

Ichthammol always seems to stick everywhere but where I need it.

I'd be tempted to do what you mentioned. Stick some sort of medicinal clay, etc. in the hole and leave it open

As far as growing out, I don't think you'll see anything. The worse might be what looks like a little scrape on the hoof.

#6 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts
  • Interests:Showing halter, native costume, trail riding, gardening and on occasion showing a mini poodle.

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

We use Kotex and diapers all of the time.
Take a syringe with saline solution and betadine and flush the hole good. Stuff as much Ichthammol in the hole as you can. Place the whole Kotex over the hole, with the sticky side up. Then Vetwrap it. Wrap above the coronary band, where the foot meets the ankle. Then go down to about halfway down the hoof. Then, use duct tape on top of the Kotex area and keep going down, until you are duct taping the hoof. This will keep the bandage on.

By the way, Ichthammol for humans in known as "Boil Ease" and is very expensive. $6.00 for a tiny tube.
We use it on ourselves for splinters and hangnails and such, the horse stuff.
Cheryl

#7 Mel Adjusted

Mel Adjusted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

Duct tape. Lots and lots of duct tape.

Make a boot out of duct tape over the great absorbent wraps suggested. You will have to replace it often at the bottom of the hoof due to wear.I don't think you should plug the hole, it needs to drain.

I've had them pop out through the heel and coronet before, it's not a lot different . Iccthamol rules- it's great for scratches (the skin condition )too.
Good Luck!
Melanie Francis, sacred cow kicking free of charge.

#8 aggresca

aggresca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

I too agree with the remedies stated above. For help in a new hoof growth, get a hoof supplement that has Biotin in it .....I am sure that Tom Z. sell's quite a few in the store. We had the same problem with a mare here a few year's ago. With proper treatment and a hoof supplement.....with in atleast 4-6 month's you should start seeing a brand new hoof. That crack line will slowly disappear.

I have to say though I have never seen this happen in a foal.

Rachel

My main question is how is this hole in the coronet band going to affect the growth of new horn on his hoof?

#9 Mel Adjusted

Mel Adjusted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

I don't think it will matter. Unusual to see it in a foal, but he may have had a puncture or foreign body. It will take longer to fill because of the increased circulation and active tissue at the band compared to sole.
Melanie Francis, sacred cow kicking free of charge.

#10 aggresca

aggresca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

You may very well be correct Mel being that I have never had this to happen on a foal here. Although in all reality I do not see feeding a foal or older horse a hoof supplement would make a difference in a new growth of a hoof. If you can apply any information on adult hoof growing vs. foal hoof......then maybe the original poster could go from there if he/she would like to.

Rachel

QUOTE(Mel Adjusted @ Jan 25 2008, 10:22 PM)  
I don't think it will matter. Unusual to see it in a foal, but he may have had a puncture or foreign body. It will take longer to fill because of the increased circulation and active tissue at the band compared to sole.

#11 billie940

billie940

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2228 posts
  • Interests:Since 1978, Breeder of Pure/predominately Polish Arabians. Concentrated *BASK bloodlines. The last two years introduced *WIKING bloodlines to the breeding program, some very nice foals as a result. <br />Next year will breed to MS FIREDEVIL( Padrons PsycheXAerial Fire Echo) for 2008 foals.

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

Bandit...you laugh, I have used them for years(on horses)! They are great for wounds on the canon bones also...and the overnighters are the best...thicker! The Mexican guys that used to work for me would cringe when I handed them a Kotex to used in a bandage.
And yes Diapers are good too! And Natural sponges, if you have one draining a lot through the bandage.
Ichthammol is nasty stuff but seems to work, I used it on the bulb of her heel to draw from there, but the Epson salt in the sole. The epson salt was Marsha Parkinson's remedy...it worked! This was my first experience with an abscess like this.

I'm doing my best to keep warm the last few days...burrr. Got my first foal, a colt, he is ugly, but I'm hoping he will get better if I don't look at him. Chestnuts are not pretty to me when they are born...and its' a colt..so...maybe I will like him better later. He probably looks like Padron. LOL

www.lovenwararabians.com

Billie Glosser
Love N' War Arabians
Denton, TX 76207

#12 meow

meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1578 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:10 AM

Kotex make great bandages. Always keep a package of them in the tackroom and the trailer.

#13 aggresca

aggresca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:41 AM

Mel is right , drainage first then soaking and after ......bandage with medication, for as many time's as a human care-giver can give per day.

Rachel

I don't think you should plug the hole, it needs to drain.

#14 spike25

spike25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts
  • Interests:hunters and jumpers, Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

I agree a bout not plugging the hole-medicate and let it drain. When my guys get an abcess, I try to get vet or farrier out asap to drain it-stuff drains out dwonhill so much faster! LOL! In the meantime, I soak AND wrap with icthamol or other poultice. I haven't had any problem with hoof growth after an abcess pushes thru. (yet!)
Beth Thomas
Trainer, Stone Hollow Sport Horses, Johnstown, PA
Proud owner of Angelica Bay+//(Travis MSC X Anegra),Multi National Champion and USEF HOTY. 2007 Mulitple Top 10 at SHN! Region 15 HOTY Home to Gilet+/ (Gil X El Eta)no ribbons this time but still a genuine all around nice guy!
FR Hercules (Beau Nuit X Sasha Bey):Reserve National Champion PB Geldings SHIH ATH!

#15 PennyB

PennyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:32 PM

The oldtimers used to call this a "quittor." Usually caused by a pebble or other foreign object working its way up the white line from the ground level. Especially if the ground is moist so hoof is soft.

Drainage drainage drainage, antibiotics.

Used to soak wheat bran in epsom salts and use an Easy Boot to hold it in as a poultice.

Ichthamol is GREAT! As are Kotex and diapers...
PLB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users