• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 chloe

chloe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 03:18 PM

Just curious as to who started the shaving of the eyes, muzzle etc? When my horses shed in the spring they are hairless. I think it looks unnatural.(just my opinion) Why don't they at least try to blend it in?

#2 ArabianRider

ArabianRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(chloe @ Aug 10 2005, 03:18 PM)
Just curious as to who started the shaving of the eyes, muzzle etc? When my horses shed in the spring they are hairless. I think it looks unnatural.(just my opinion) Why don't they at least try to blend it in?

View Post

If they are truely shaving around the eyes it is called balding and is not legal...

But note some horse are not shaved.. but if you put a bit of gel or oil around their eyes they look balded.

My mare is this way in the spring and summer.. She has never been shaved for a very long time.... but you can not tell that in the spring and summer..

The practice of balding and such supposedly was/is done to make the horses eyes appear larger than they are....

My mare is blessed with goregous eyes so I would never do that to her... I also do not like all the Make-up.. to me it look un natural and funny.. a little bit of gel or oil is okay but some horse look like the were dipped in oil...
Elizabeth

#3 Sprout

Sprout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3191 posts
  • Interests:horses, arabians, drawing, writing, graphic design, photography

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:47 PM

Fortunately I haven't seen too much 'over oiling' lately. That's just gross. We put on a bit around the eyes and muzzle. Also, my barn is very good about blending in clipping-the first time I clipped a horse for my trainer I was in trouble LOL-she looked like she had dipped her nose in a bucket of paint.
“Life is to be lived. If you have to support yourself, you had bloody well better find some way that is going to be interesting. And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself.” - Katharine Hepburn

#4 SanRocArabians

SanRocArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in anything to do with Arabians Horses, including riding, breeding, genetics, and showing.

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:20 PM

Is such clipping required in certain classes or is it optional?
Amanda
SanRoc Arabians

"Let them be born without fear, let them live a life of peace, and please God, when it is time, let them die as they lived; fearless, painless and peaceful." - The Horses Prayer

#5 klu

klu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Anything Arabian! (or anything horses actually) Gardening, reading.

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(SanRocArabians @ Aug 10 2005, 10:20 PM)
Is such clipping required in certain classes or is it optional?

View Post

optional, you just want to present your horse in the best way possible, clean, clipped etc. Check out the grooming thread that is going on this forum, those gals will give you all the tips you need. Also, maybe we can find someone in your area that can come give you a hand. That makes it the easiest!
Melissa Meyer
Milford, NE

Innishfael Blues Klu (Rlink to Blue x Innisfael Willow)

#6 klu

klu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Anything Arabian! (or anything horses actually) Gardening, reading.

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:41 AM

I want to add as well, I have seen some really nicely turned out horses, clipped etc but the tack was really dirty. When I was younger and could only show 4-H, I even "detailed" our cheapy saddle and all the bits.
Melissa Meyer
Milford, NE

Innishfael Blues Klu (Rlink to Blue x Innisfael Willow)

#7 RousseauRidge

RousseauRidge

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1436 posts
  • Interests:The Savyy Fund was established to help support the Equine Cushings &amp; Insulin Resistance Support Group. ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/ ) It is my hope that Savyy can continue to touch lives and help others like him though this fund. Memorial contributions may be made through Paypal, to the EquineCushings account, or directly mailed to:<br />c/o The Savyy Fund <br />Robin Siskel<br />7401 W. Washington Ave., #1011<br />Las Vegas, NV 89128<br />www.sportshorses.com/SavyyFund.htm<br />(Contact information also available here.)

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:15 PM

Balding is illegal. I no longer use (or hadly ever) use a 50 blade since I started using vaseline to sweat the eyes & muzzle during workouts. Vaseline does a wonderful job cleaning the hairs up in these areas. For the bridlepath, use a 50 or a 40 & blend the sides into the neck w/ a 15 or a 10. (I hardle ever use a 10 for anything anymore, like the 15 better.) For the ears I use a 40 or a 50 & create a marquis tip. (Back in the day I originally learned to use Nair in the ears, but I have no desire to continue that practice & haven't done so in almost 20 years.) On the face, I clip everything but the cheeks or jowels. I do the face & below the eyes w/ a 30 up into a peak @ the base of the forelock. Above the this area including the outside of the ears I use a 15. Use a 40 or a 50 on the tops of the eyes. (Really not much clipping to do if you use the vaseline sweating method.) I do the muzzle/lips w/ a 40 or a 50, but blend the muzzle into the face & jaw. I do the under jaw w/ a 15. Always blend your clipped areas into unclipped areas. I do white markings (face or legs) w/ a 40 about 2 wks to 1-1/2 weeks before a show or photo session. I also touch up whiskers w/ a rzor as needed. For makeup I use healthy hair care on everything. Towel or loofah it in real well. Saturate the main & tail w/ it & work it in well until it dries. I also use Ultra Salon Magic in the mane, tail & forelock as a tangle preventative. I also have cotton gloves I spray the moisturizer on & rub into the face well. For ligth oil, I use Wonder 8 Oil (great for hair & skin). I work it into the face, mane & tail well. If the horse is not bad about their ears, I'll put this in the ears too after I baby wipe them out. I also use this oil in the shaven crest & chestnuts. On the eyes & muzzle I use Baby Oil gel. If I want additional gloss or highlighting on mainly tops of the eyes or sometimes the muzzle, I will use Ultra highlighter. Additional gloss or shine highlighting in the mane & tail I use a pommade or shine gloss, which I piece in by hand. A lot of these products are sweet smelling so make sure you use a goof fly/bug spray. I make sure everything is complete toweled & washed off of their face after they are done showing or w/ photos. If you want me to go into detail for feet I can.

Yes, I do my performance horses the same.
Christina Rousseau

#8 chloe

chloe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

RousseauRidge,
Your attention to detail is fantastic, please go on about the feet.

#9 SanRocArabians

SanRocArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in anything to do with Arabians Horses, including riding, breeding, genetics, and showing.

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

Yes, please continue RousseauRidge:) It is great to hear details.

Oh, I was emailed this drawing by an online friend when I asked about how to clip and where, etc. It is an interesting diagram originally posted on another board with a similar name to this one. Hopefully it is ok if I post it. If not, I am sorry and I will remove it promptly.

Attached Files

Amanda
SanRoc Arabians

"Let them be born without fear, let them live a life of peace, and please God, when it is time, let them die as they lived; fearless, painless and peaceful." - The Horses Prayer

#10 brsflirt

brsflirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Arabian and Half Arabian sport horses, Jack Russell Terrorists, My husband and my children

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(chloe @ Aug 11 2005, 04:45 PM)
RousseauRidge,
Your attention to detail is fantastic, please go on about the feet.

View Post

rousseauridge can take a horse that looks like a mile of bad road and make it look like it should show at US Nationals. One of my favorite stories from when she boarded here she helped me clean up one of my clients stallions (a TB) to take photo's of for stallion ads, when I showed the owner the photo's he said that is a real nice horse, WHo is it? He couldn't belive it was his horse. Not that this horse is bad looking, he had just never been groomed up like that. The pics are on my website.
Breezy Ridge South
Arabian Sport Horses

#11 RousseauRidge

RousseauRidge

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1436 posts
  • Interests:The Savyy Fund was established to help support the Equine Cushings &amp; Insulin Resistance Support Group. ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/ ) It is my hope that Savyy can continue to touch lives and help others like him though this fund. Memorial contributions may be made through Paypal, to the EquineCushings account, or directly mailed to:<br />c/o The Savyy Fund <br />Robin Siskel<br />7401 W. Washington Ave., #1011<br />Las Vegas, NV 89128<br />www.sportshorses.com/SavyyFund.htm<br />(Contact information also available here.)

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

Hooves – Scrub hooves before show (during bath) w/ a hard bristles brush. Once dry @ show, sand hooves w/ coarse, then medium, then fine sandpaper & lastly steel wool. Dust clean w/ a rag or cloth. Wipe off w/ gauze covered in alcohol or baby wipes. Let dry. Use surgical/latex gloves for the rest of the process. Polish w/ Kiwi neutral shoe polish & allow to dry. Once dry, buff off w/ rag. Apply clear hoof polish (Ultra by Schneider’s hoof polish or Absorbine hoof polish) & let dry. Repeat if needed. Apply hoof lacquer/spray (Ultra from Schneider’s or Nail Lacquer from the beauty supply). Repeat if needed. Dust off w/ rag between classes. Apply add’l laquer as needed. (Black Kiwi polish may be used on black hooves. Clear hoof polish looks better on top of the neutral or black Kiwi on grey horses. You may use hoof black on the black Kiwi on bays & blacks. I prefer tan, brown or neutral Kiwi w/ clear polish over top on chestnuts & sorrels.) After the show, make sure you remove your polish/laquer w/ a non-acetone nail polish remover. (For this, I like to let a tub of baby wipes dry out & pour the remover directly into the tub. Then I can use a large disposable wipe to clean the hooves. Make sure you moisturize them. My favorite is Rio Vista Hoof Manicure.

At smaller or local level shows & when the climate is very dry, I don't mind hooves been cleaned, lightly sanded & a clear dressing or oil put on them. I'd rather have a horse w/ hooves, than ones falling off or apart.

Your turn out is the one thing you have control over. It also says a lot about you. Attention to detail is key.

The diagram posted earlier is one put together by Darcy/Brentwood & Shauna/AzureArabians, I believe. They are very helpful & imformative & I am sure they would want to share their knowledge on this subject as well. I am also happy to field any questions you may have. (Thanks for the complements.) I'd also be happy to teach anyone locally how I do any part of my show grooming regiment. And I am also available to come out for shows or photo shoots.

Edited--I meant Katie/MagicalAura, not Shauna
Christina Rousseau

#12 loriwoo

loriwoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:20 PM

I dont' understand
Rosseau ridge said;
Use a 40 or a 50 on the tops of the eyes.

isnt' that balding? I groom dogs, and use a 40 blade every day on the bottoms of feet ,between toes.
It is a surgical blade as is a 50. How can that not be balding? Lori

#13 Azure Arabians

Azure Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:29 PM

credit goes to Darcy;) I actuually have never done it for a show myself, isnt that bad? When you say blend how exactly do you do it?
just make sure and work with that edge??
Shauna

#14 Z's Mom

Z's Mom

Advanced Member

• Gold Sponsors
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(loriwoo @ Aug 11 2005, 07:20 PM)
I dont' understand
Rosseau ridge said;
Use a 40 or a 50 on the tops of the eyes.

isnt' that balding?  I groom dogs, and use a 40 blade every day on the bottoms of feet ,between toes.
It is a surgical blade as is a 50. How can that not be balding? Lori

View Post

I was thinking the same thing! I guess everyone has their own idea of pretty, but the over-clipped, over-oiled isn't mine.

Worlds End Farm
Home of:
Regional Top Ten 'WF Impressive'
Canadian National Top Ten Futurity Colt 'WF Last Of Roses'
Pinto National Champion ASB Stallion 'The Denver Mint'

"If you are going to flaunt fashion, do so brazenly and with no reservations. It is better to be boldly and definitively wrong than to be timid and tenatively right."
Gahlashan
Proud member of the AHSBF

#15 RousseauRidge

RousseauRidge

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1436 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:03 PM

When I clip the faces, I do them about a week & a half before the show. This allows ample time for just enough regrowth of hair. If you look close enough, there will be a touch of hair there. I touch up w/ anything between a 15-30 right before the show or w/ a bic, ie. whiskers. And when I retouch I am usually using the backdrag method versus direct blade over the area. As I use the vaseline sweating method, I hardly ever use a 50. A 60 is what I grew up w/ as a surgical blade. That is what we used @ the vet hospital to prep for surgery. For blending I turn the clippers over & back drag the blade across the region I am blending.
Christina Rousseau

#16 RousseauRidge

RousseauRidge

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1436 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:11 PM

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
The bay was clipped & made up w/ the methods I listed above. Of course he is dark & the photos are not high resolution, but you can get the idea. He's got plenty of hair & he is not an oil slick. The grey was not vaseline sweated, nor had the face/forehead clipped as the bay was, but had his eyes, ears, muzzle & bridle path done accordingly. His muzzle is well blended. I would have preferred his face/forehead clipped w/ at least a 15 that day, but his hair coat was so tight & the oil would have made his face black as he was clipped, bathed & madeup the same day as the photo.
Christina Rousseau

#17 Prixmere

Prixmere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:03 AM

Well - I guess I'm just not into the heavily made up look with lots of clipping, gunk, etc. The bay looks okay, would like to see less clipping of hair on face, but he looks good otherwise.

The gray - well - he looks like he got punched and is suffering from a black eye. Sorry - it just does not look good to me.

For me? Shave the long hairs (whiskers and odd hairs sticking out on chin and jowl), leave the eye whiskers and lashes (I like those), trim the out side edges of the ears leaving the tips and the hairs on the inside (helps protect from the bugs) and put a light covering of baby oil on the muzzle and around the eye to add a touch of glistening. Natural beauty - I love it!! :)

Lorie:)
user posted image
Chans LaCoy, My first horse and retired jumper/eventer
user posted image
Chassara McCoy, My dressage superstar, aka "Twinkle Toes"
user posted image
Starstruck Prixmere, My upcoming eventing sweetheart

#18 brsflirt

brsflirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Arabian and Half Arabian sport horses, Jack Russell Terrorists, My husband and my children

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:58 AM

Here are some pics of some horses rosseauridge groomed up for me.....

I don't think they are overdone, they to me look well turned out. The chestnut is the beforementioned TB stallion and the other is my 1/2 arab at a show where he won the halter championship.
[attachmentid=4305][attachmentid=4306]

Attached Files

Breezy Ridge South
Arabian Sport Horses

#19 RousseauRidge

RousseauRidge

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1436 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:43 AM

My suggestions are based on Main Ring halter showing. I understand Sport Horse disciplines are a lot more relaxed in clipping & makeup. I know, I have shown them as well. Any of the horses that I clip out the ears of, if they get turned out, wear a fly mask w/ ears. If the horse isn't showing, he gets to keep his inside ear hair. When greys shed out, their faces look a lot different. I have a 26 yr old retired grey arabian in the barn & his eyes & muzzle look just as black as the clipped & made up grey posted here. And all he has had done this year is bridle path (just enough for halter, like 2 inches max) & whiskers on eyes & muzzle. No face, eye, muzzle hair clipped.

I never clip eyelashes, I believe that is a big no-no. I don't have a problem if people do not clip their horses as indepth as I do. But I do have a problem, even if I am judging a county fair & a kid takes their horse in showmanship & they have not tried to clip anything. What are their parents or horse advisors teaching them? And then they wonder why they place lower than those who do their homework & have impeccable turn out & presentation. Sorry, going off track.

I also used to show AQHA's & I clipped & groomed them the same. They looked great too. I do know of APHA people that have black tatooed as eyeliner on their horses & have also used mascara. I guess the oil & grease we uses doesn't sound so bad now.

I have nothing against natural beauty, but I am not considering these made up main ring halter horses comparable to Tammy Faye Baker either.
Christina Rousseau

#20 Sprout

Sprout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3191 posts
  • Interests:horses, arabians, drawing, writing, graphic design, photography

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:58 AM

Agree with you Christi-I think you do an excellent clipping job-both look good. Greys can be hard to clip and you did a fine job IMO.

Prixmere,

Different strokes for different folks, horses for courses, and all that ;)
“Life is to be lived. If you have to support yourself, you had bloody well better find some way that is going to be interesting. And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself.” - Katharine Hepburn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users