Horse Trailer Tires

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Robin Wright

Robin Wright

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 880 posts
  • Interests:Horses, gardening, computers, passing anti-slaughter legislation. Please check my site at www.ghostfleetfarm.com and let me know if I forgot to include a rescue. I'm looking for website links only right now. Thanks, Robin

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:19 PM

I'm going to buy some new tires for my horse trailer. Could anyone please tell me what the best tire is? I looked up some Goodyear but when I looked at the reviews for them everyone hated them and called them junk. I certainly don't want that and would hate to have tire problems on the road.

Thanks,

Robin W.
bat.gif
Robin W.

#2 harjcon

harjcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Cooper brand trailer tires are great, and they stand behind their product. When I had two blow outs in less than 2 weeks, I contacted their customer service by email. They called me the very next day, located the nearest dealership and replaced all four of my tires plus the spare.
Connie - "wannabe me" me?
WA Rocketman
Chynna Bey
Forever Czar's Fire

EC Imdair, 5/88-1/10

#3 Robin Wright

Robin Wright

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 880 posts
  • Interests:Horses, gardening, computers, passing anti-slaughter legislation. Please check my site at www.ghostfleetfarm.com and let me know if I forgot to include a rescue. I'm looking for website links only right now. Thanks, Robin

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE(harjcon @ Mar 10 2008, 10:55 PM) View Post
Cooper brand trailer tires are great, and they stand behind their product. When I had two blow outs in less than 2 weeks, I contacted their customer service by email. They called me the very next day, located the nearest dealership and replaced all four of my tires plus the spare.

Gee, thanks! I think I will try to find something so I don't have two blow outs in one week regardless of the customer service. I appreciate the response though! I don't think Michelin makes a trailer tire maybe I should call them, okay does anyone know their load rating for a two horse? I don't think trailer tires are a really hot topic, mine have dry rotted and they have to go.

Robin W.
Robin W.

#4 JennyM

JennyM

Welcome to Taj ma Murf!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1632 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Weight bearing tires used to b a 8ply, bias belt as opposed to a radial tire. Supposedly the side wall on a bias belt is better suited the load bearing. Seems now you can find radial/bias belt in the same loadbearing range.

Here's a blurb:
ST225/75R-15" RADIAL Tire, L.R. 'D'
STOCK #: 1350129
Std. Equiv. H78 x 15
Load Range: D (8-ply)
Max. Capacity: 2540 lbs. each
Overall Diameter: 28.4"
Maximum PSI: 65 lbs.
LOADSTAR's KR03 'KARRIER' Series Trailer Tire

Price: $89.95

I'd stick with a major brand, and more importantly, a retailer that is located allll over the place. I know that if I get a flat, I can go to any **l-Mart in any town and get it fixed...or Discount Tire, but there's a lot more WMs than DTs :-)

You don't need a high mileage tire, I'd look to replace size for size and probably a 35K mile tire would last you the life of the trailer. Peeking around at new trailer ads, most come with LT tires.
Jen M
Executive Assistant to Murf and Vanna

Godspeed, Pavielle! Thank you for letting me be a part of your life!

#5 mred

mred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Khumo Tires. Our 8 horse trailer came with two 15,000 lb dexter axles and Khumo 4-215/75R 17.5 tires. We only haul to a couple shows a year and I bet I have had 4-7 blow outs. I have lost count. Trailer manufacturer says its not his problem and tire dealer says its not his problem. Boss says lets stay home you can't drive. Khumo by e-mail and phone have never responded to my inquiries. I suspect that the tires may heat up and that possibly yhe manufacturer should have sat the trailer up a little higher and given the tires more airflow. Can anyone offer any input?

#6 Robin Wright

Robin Wright

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(mred @ Mar 11 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Khumo Tires. Our 8 horse trailer came with two 15,000 lb dexter axles and Khumo 4-215/75R 17.5 tires. We only haul to a couple shows a year and I bet I have had 4-7 blow outs. I have lost count. Trailer manufacturer says its not his problem and tire dealer says its not his problem. Boss says lets stay home you can't drive. Khumo by e-mail and phone have never responded to my inquiries. I suspect that the tires may heat up and that possibly yhe manufacturer should have sat the trailer up a little higher and given the tires more airflow. Can anyone offer any input?

I would say we are both in the market for new tires. If I had 4-7 blowouts hauling horses in a couple of years I wouldn't go. Wow, that's not considered fun! Jenny had an interesting comment about bias belt vs radial. I believe everything is radial now. The tires she mentioned sound beefy enough but I have never heard of some of these brands. I wonder what the big horse haulers use? Maybe they will give us a hint.

Robin W.
Robin W.

#7 Julie

Julie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

Robin, have you tried a truck forum? There is one that is really good, I asked questions there when we were looking at trucks to buy. Great bunch, or at least they seemed helpful when I was there. I think the guy was "Mr. Truck"?, if you want the link and don't find it let me know. It's in my AOL links (cold storage, ha-ha). Do you have a tire store chain around there? We have a Les Schwab every 20 miles, they picked out my trailer tires and they've done well. Good luck!

#8 Robin Wright

Robin Wright

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(Julie @ Mar 11 2008, 09:17 PM) View Post
Robin, have you tried a truck forum? There is one that is really good, I asked questions there when we were looking at trucks to buy. Great bunch, or at least they seemed helpful when I was there. I think the guy was "Mr. Truck"?, if you want the link and don't find it let me know. It's in my AOL links (cold storage, ha-ha). Do you have a tire store chain around there? We have a Les Schwab every 20 miles, they picked out my trailer tires and they've done well. Good luck!

Thanks Julie, I'll google it. I was really hoping that someone would say "We always run brand x and love them." then I would say oh great thanks I'll check it out and when I did I found out that 1000 people out of 1002 loved them also. LOL.

Robin W.
Robin W.

#9 Cold Spring Farm

Cold Spring Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:19 PM

I was recently reading a thread on COTH about this very topic. Quite informative!

http://www.chronicle...e trailer tires
Cold Spring Farm
German and Arabian-related Oldenburg Horses for sport and for fun!
Fashionabeau (NV Beau Bey x Huck's Fashion) GOV MMB
Quiebracha (Quasi Roi x Danz up de Deel (Disput)) GOV MMB
Renssalaer (Rosenthal x Fashionabeau) GOV/HA
Sequel (Sempatico M x Quiebracha) GOV Premium
Sophistiquate (Sempatico M x Quiebracha) pending inspection
Magic Allure (Magic Dream x Moxie Shocolatte)

.....and (hopefully!) in '08
NV Beau Bey x Quiebracha
Fabuluex (Han) x Magic Allure

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
- Robert Wilensky

Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end.
- Jerry Seinfeld

#10 Blackberry Run Arabians

Blackberry Run Arabians

Default President 2014 ...James

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 1681 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

As a truck mechanic and driver, I reccommend getting the highest load rating for your particular size. That will give you more "plies" on the tread portion as well as more "plies" on the sidewall portion. They tend to cost a bit more but they also stand up to more abuse and wear. If you are at a "D" that is good, if you can find an "E" that would be better. Several years back I had dealings with the Loadstar name and was very satisfied with what I had received. They key is to as as many questions as you can and get the most tire that you can afford. It is a tradeoff. I hope this helps, albeit late!

...James

What you see ... Often times ... depends upon where you stand.

AHA Discovery Farm

2009 - 2012 ABHAHA Convention Delegate

In Memory of:
Ahzad Hadeed (*Epizod x *Amneris) Gelding 03/20/1990 - 08/17/2007
Miss Fizz (WCM Fizz Bomb x Fragile Farrah) Mare 07/14/1992 - 06/25/2011

#11 harjcon

harjcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(Robin Wright @ Mar 11 2008, 08:21 AM) View Post
Gee, thanks! I think I will try to find something so I don't have two blow outs in one week regardless of the customer service. I appreciate the response though! I don't think Michelin makes a trailer tire maybe I should call them, okay does anyone know their load rating for a two horse? I don't think trailer tires are a really hot topic, mine have dry rotted and they have to go.

Robin W.

I bought my trailer from a dealer (new) with these tires on it. They were not trailer tires and not as expensive. Cooper took the loss and replaced them with trailer tires. They didn't have to do this. I have had these tires on my trailer now for 5 years. I do keep it off the ground during the winter time which can cause dry rot. I would buy cooper again - 100% because of the quality and the customer service is a bonus.
Connie - "wannabe me" me?
WA Rocketman
Chynna Bey
Forever Czar's Fire

EC Imdair, 5/88-1/10

#12 MJCRanch

MJCRanch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Quality Horses, Arabians, Saddlebreds and a Minature.<br /><br />Dirt bikes and Quads

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

great website www.tirerack.com they have a great review section.

I was always told to stay away from Carlyle brand tires they have will blow out.

Mike

Mike Curiel
MJCRanch

<span style='color:blue'>If it's not broke......fix it 'till it is.....</span>

#13 Robin Wright

Robin Wright

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 880 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

Thanks everyone! I did find out that the Micheline trailer tires start at 16" for trailers and my trailer takes 15" tires. I'm really thinking of upgrading my trailer I love those aluminum models and won't buy one again unless they take 16" or better tires as it seems the better brands start at that size. I use to have an old white two horse that I used all the time hauling to vets, shows and hurricane evacuations. I always made sure the floor was good but as I've gotten older I worry about tires, wheel bearing, mats, and hauling around horses in general. It's a whole lot easier getting your tire changed by someone when your on the road when you are 20 vs. 50! LOL

It's seems after doing the reading that the key to preventing blow outs is checking your tires when they are cold before you load up and get going and making sure the pressure is right to prevent heat build up.

Robin W.
Robin W.

#14 Mark Williams

Mark Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Show Dad for my Daughter and Wife and Proud of It!

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(Robin Wright @ Jun 1 2008, 03:58 PM) View Post
Thanks everyone! I did find out that the Micheline trailer tires start at 16" for trailers and my trailer takes 15" tires. I'm really thinking of upgrading my trailer I love those aluminum models and won't buy one again unless they take 16" or better tires as it seems the better brands start at that size. I use to have an old white two horse that I used all the time hauling to vets, shows and hurricane evacuations. I always made sure the floor was good but as I've gotten older I worry about tires, wheel bearing, mats, and hauling around horses in general. It's a whole lot easier getting your tire changed by someone when your on the road when you are 20 vs. 50! LOL

It's seems after doing the reading that the key to preventing blow outs is checking your tires when they are cold before you load up and get going and making sure the pressure is right to prevent heat build up.

Robin W.

We had a blow out on the way back from Youth Nationals in Albuquerque. There were others that had blowouts either coming to or going home from this event.

My recommendation is to use a tire rated for E loads, tires from a national distributor - Discount Tires or Wally World (Wal Mart) and I would pay for the road hazard guaranty. The tires need to be at least a LT tire and should be a ST. Never use a P tire. They are for passenger vehicles. Be sure to operate the tire at the recommend pressure. Just a few pounds low on tire pressure will cause excess heat and heat is a tire worse enemy. Also when you stop for gas, feel each tire and rim to make sure they are all about the same temperature. If one is hotter than the others, you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

The problem with trailer tires is they are used infrequently, sit in the same spot for extended time and are usually exposed to the outside elements. I know this would be a pain to do, but if the trailer is not going to be used for an extended period of time, either take the tires off and store them in a garage or set the trailer on jacks stands to unload the weight on the tires and cover them with RV tire covers.

Look for the DOT number on the tire. It is on the side wall next to the rim. This will tell you the age. The last 4 numbers of the DOT series is the age. For example, 4903 means the tire was made in the 49th week of 2003. When you buy new tires, be sure to check the DOT series to make sure you are not buying an old tire. Even though we bought our new trailer in early 2006, the tires were made in late 2003.

Good luck.

Mark Williams
San Antonio, Texas

DD Tejas Skye
MM Cherokee Warrior+//
Thee Jokers Wild+//

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users