• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SanRocArabians

SanRocArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in anything to do with Arabians Horses, including riding, breeding, genetics, and showing.

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:25 PM

I would like to know your thoughts on *Morafic: on his conformation, temperament, and impact on the Arabian breed (both Straight Egyptian and other). Do you consider him a prepotent sire? What particular traits do you feel he passed to his progeny? What about their progeny and so on?

[attachmentid=4327]

Attached Files

Amanda
SanRoc Arabians

"Let them be born without fear, let them live a life of peace, and please God, when it is time, let them die as they lived; fearless, painless and peaceful." - The Horses Prayer

#2 Deep South

Deep South

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Arabians and golf.

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:21 PM

Upon seeing *Morafic and later *Saba El Zahraa, a son of *Morafic, it caused us to get into Arabians. We sold our quarter horses, started breeding Arabians and have never been sorry. Whenever a stallion and/or his offspring can cause that then it speaks for itself.

#3 LMG

LMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:11 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it is rare that two people can agree. I went to Glennloch many years ago for the purpose of purchasing a colt. At that time, they were very reasonably priced.

Tom McNair brought *Morafic out of his stall and stood him up. I thought he had the strangest head I had ever seen. Very long foreface, very upright neck and quite narrow in the front . He was such a different horse from what I'd seen over the United States, and from the other Egyptian Imports of the time, I couldn't decide if I liked him or not. As far as temperament was concerned, I would not have described him as a "head in the tent" sort of horse.

As the years passed, I saw several of his sons, some I thought absolutely beautiful. Al Metrabbi being an lovely, lovely stallion and I owned two of his daughters and one of his sons, at one time. Presently, I own a SE with several crosses to *Morafic and I can see in her conformation a different structure than that in her two half-sisters sans *Morafic. Before I am castigated by anyone who is outraged by my opinion, please remember, it is only an personal opinon and not a declaration of lack of faith.

LMG

#4 Desertwind

Desertwind

Supreme Stall Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1609 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Promoting the breed.

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:57 PM

I saw a head study of Morafic and was intrigued by his unique look; so did more research. After a time, I decided that his movement and look were just what I hoped for, so I purchased two mares with several crosses to Morafic. One exhibits the unique head of her ancestor, the other, VERY typey but not in the same way, more like AF Cassidy. I purchased a colt this year with what appears to be the similar look of Morafic in phenotype, to breed to these mares. The mares have excellent temperments, the colt, I have not met in person yet.
As for Morafic's impact, all I know is I started with a horse or two, and have 11 now. Three of this group are directly attributted to the look and beauty of Morafic.
I think he is exquisite.

Lori Krell - Kerens, TX

#5 Trotter

Trotter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:16 PM

I used to own an almost all Egyptian gelding. He went back to Al Metrabbi and Morafic on both sides. He was the best horse I ever owned.

#6 Blue Domino

Blue Domino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4071 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:35 AM

I think Morafic was an astoundingly beautiful animal. I particularly like the pictures I've seen of his mother, Mabrouka, I don't think they build em any more attractive than her, what a beautiful hip, butt, and neck attachment.

I saw an Ali Jamaal bred colt the other day, I credit the beauty and the prepotence of the Ali Jamaal line of arabians to Morafic, and especially his mother Mabrouka.

I've noticed that Morafic was bred to his full sister Ansata Bint Mabrouka, and produced Ansata Shah Zaman. Ansata Bint Mabrouka was bred to her 1/2 brother Ansata Halim Halima, and produced Ansata Ibn Sudan.

I'm curious, have these closely related horses, when their descendants have been bred to one another, have there been some superior show-stoppers carrying Ansata Ibn Sudan, Morafic, and Ansata Shah Zaman, all in one pedigree?

Just curious, as I am so happy the blood of Morafic has had on the Arabian horse in general.

Jeff

"We who in friendship, willing work together" On this premise alone, rests the upward spiral of civilisation. "Good will towards mankind" Winston Churchill

#7 jenswa

jenswa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:35 AM

...very few SE horses have raced with much success in the USA, but the common pedigree thread to be found in most of them would be *MORAFIC. Of late, one of the best runners(very best ever,possibly) is the 4 yr old chestnut colt TH RICHIE. His dam, the ER mare Char Rich Loiuse, was sired by the SE stallion ZT ALI BABA, who was linebred to *MORAFIC. ZT ALI BABA, himself a stakes winner and 100 mile endurance horse, is the sire and grandsire of multiple stakes/race winners. TH RICHIE currently has the enviable race record of 2/15(12-3-0) 8+2, with a bankroll of almost $260,000, and is an eye catcher as well! Though sired by the French stallion CALIN DU LOUP, I would say this is a feather in the cap(forelock) for Arabians with MORAFIC blood.

#8 Aimbri

Aimbri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:I breed, raise, train and show Straight Egyptian and Egyptian-Sired Arabians. No Minstril lines, a lot of Gleannloch foundation horses in my pedigrees. My horses are bred for both halter and performance, as I believe that SE horses should be proficient at both,

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:35 PM

My first SE stallion was El Matrabb (Al Metrabbi++ x Ana Gayah) Al Metrabbi ++ was a *Morafic son out of a *Morafic daughter. Ana Gayah was also a *Morafic daughter. That made El Matrabb 62.5% *Morafic. When I saw the *Morafic video at the EE in 2001, and heard Tom McNair speaking about *Morafic, I then realized why my "Matt" had many of the same qualities, both physically and emotionally, as *Morafic did. For instance, he never stood quietly on the line unless asked to. He preferred to dance in place, as *Morafic did. Also he couldn't help himself but to trumpet to HIS mares every time he exited the barn. It was just a part of his routine. When "Matt" was already well into his teens, a gentleman phoned me after seeing a body shot of Matt, insisting that he "must be raced". I explained that he was already a senior stallion and that he was shown in a variety of disciplines, but that he had never been raced, to the best of my knowledge. He insisted that I was "wasting him on the showring" and that "he MUST be raced!" He went on to say "Have you seen his shoulder?" (Of course, I had seen his shoulder several times a day! LOL)" "Had I seen his hip?" (Again, of course.) It is what made him a great performance horse, and his wonderful and unique personality is what made him a great family horse. When I refused to race Matt, I never heard from that "gentleman" again.

One of my favorite memory of Matt was when my daughter would take him for his late-night winter runs. I would hear hooves pounding past the house and see them streaking out of the yard, Matt wearing his green blanket and hood, with just a lead tied to both sides of his halter, my daughter aboard wearing full winter gear (We live in Canada and it gets COLD up here), no saddle, no bit, and they would go out for a ride and have FUN, then back to the house for a cuddle and a carrot before getting back to his stall for the night. Matt wouldn't pass the house while going to the barn, if he knew I was home. I don't know what he loved most, the hug and kiss, or the carrot, but he needed all 3 before he could go to bed! He also loved his "blankie" wearing it from September till March! Much like my dad and his long underwear!

Was he a great sire? That remains to be seen, I guess. Several of his get have halter careers, one is a high level endurance horse, most are slow to mature and are only now coming into adulthood at ages 5, 6 and 7. *Morafic was raced and shown in hand and under saddle. Al Metrabbi++, too, was shown in halter and performance. El Matrabb was shown in halter and performance. I hope that several of his sons or daughters will be able to carry on that fine family tradition.

Attached Files

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Saskatchewan, CANADA

Breeder of SE AND ES Arabians

#9 Trotter

Trotter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

My gelding was slow to mature too. At 6 he finally filled out and looked like a completely different horse.

#10 Hoogie

Hoogie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:28 PM

Apart from his sire Nazeer, Morafic must be the most successful Egyptian sireline worldwide.... not only for his influence within SE breeding, but in the general Arabian population as well. Without Morafic, there would be no Ali Jamaal, El Shaklan, The Minstrel, and more recently the likes of Marwan Al Shaqab.... the list goes on, and grows greater when we extend from the sireline to horses with crosses to Morafic in other parts of the pedigree like Ansata Halim Shah, Imperial Imdal, Nabiel etc.

To me, the look of Morafic typifies the desert horse of dreams.

#11 ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses of course!

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:32 AM

Hi,

I personally love *Morafic. I could be kind of biased since I own two Al Metrabbi++ (by *Morafic) daughters. :)
Molli
the girls:
SHF Martini (Makhsous x SHF Mint Julep - full sister to SHF Southern Whiz)
Alada Coladas (Alada Baskin I x SHF Martini) 2008 Hunter Pleasure junior horse
Porcelyn Psapphire (JJ San Martin x FS Dixie Rose - full sister to ML Mostly Padron & FS Mystique Lady) 2008 Western Pleasure junior horse
AK Atheana (SV Basksko x Pohanieca Bey)
Anchor Hill Aria (Al Metrabbi++ x Anchor Hill Serfa)
Anchor Hill Arkia (Al Metrabbi++ x Ozark Wildrose)

the boys:
Jawad Sadik (Imperial Im Mamul x Miss Annie Bedu)
Kocomo (BLM Mustang gelding)

#12 jenswa

jenswa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:12 AM

-the SE,Morafic line bred stallion ZT ALI BABA (Moniet El Nafis x Imperial Al Ahbab by Amaal) added to his fame as a broodmare sire yesterday at DEL PARK. In the Sam Harrison Juvenile Stakes, two of his grandaughters ran first (earning $18,000) and second(earning $6000). They dominated the one mile race from wire to wire. Both were sired by the NABOR sire line stallion BURNING SAND.

#13 Kimberli Nelson

Kimberli Nelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:42 PM

I love *Morafic too! Over the years I have had many different horses. Those with *Morafic blood tend to be bigger boned and taller. I have Nazeer blood that is non-*Morafic, Moniet blood that is non-*Morafic and the difference between the two groups is very noticable to me.

#14 Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

I have 5 purebred mares and all have Morafic on their pedigrees. None are SE or even Egyptian Related or Egyptian Sired. Some are mainly polish with Egyptian and I have CMK Egyptian mares as well. I have based my entire program on the Ruminaja Ali and Shaikh Al Badi (son of Morafic) lines. I will look to know other. Any future horses I purchase must have Morafic on the pedigree. I think he is outstanding and what he produces speaks for itself. Any horse with him on the papers needs no introduction
Sue Stefaniuk
Cassiosum Acres Arabians

#15 Ponderosa Arabians

Ponderosa Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:48 PM

We owned a stallion that was a *Morafic grandson by Al Metrabbi and out of Haraffa. His name was Anchor Hill Adam and he was a very kind, loving soul. We got him late in his life after he had been through several troubled homes and then terribly beaten in the face by some a**hole with a baseball bat. He lost an eye to that horrible beating. It always amazed me that he could still love humans as much as he did after all they had put him through. I bred one son from him before a massive stroke took his life. We buried him under his favorite tree out in the pasture. I will always remember Adam and have a special place in my heart for him. He taught me what it meant to forgive and to love unconditionally. I don't know if that comes from his sires line or his dams line.....or, maybe it was just who he was. But, he was loved dearly and spoiled rotten for the last few years of his life.

#16 LMG

LMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:20 AM

That is absolutely heart breaking about your Al Metrabbi son. Dr. and Mrs. Atkinson and their sons, were very involved with their horses, and loved Al Metrabbi. I bought one daughter from them, many years ago, and then a mare they bred, Anchor Hill Gayla. Gayla gave me one son and a daughter of Al Metrabbi.

These were always kind horses, as was the beautiful chestnut son of Gayla. We sold him to a gentleman who was a backyard breeder - literally. Several years after we sold the Al Metrabbi son to this fellow, my manager took me to see him and there was the stallion, walking around in the backyard, with his two mares and his two foals - completely a member of his and his human family.

LMG

#17 Aimbri

Aimbri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:I breed, raise, train and show Straight Egyptian and Egyptian-Sired Arabians. No Minstril lines, a lot of Gleannloch foundation horses in my pedigrees. My horses are bred for both halter and performance, as I believe that SE horses should be proficient at both,

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:34 AM

To Pondorosa Arabains,

It truly is sad what happens to some of these poor horses. So sad to hear of the baseball bat beating. I often wonder what, indeed, had happened to my El Matrabb (Al Metrabbi++ x Ana Gayah) before I bought him. He came to me with a lump on his lower jaw. When I spoke with my vet about it, he suggested x-rays which showed that he had had a broken jaw somewhere in the past. Also his dam, Ana Gayah(by *Morafic), was nearly starved to death by the Gucci fiasco. These things often happened when people who knew little or nothing about Egyptian Arabian horses, or indeed horses AT ALL, bought these horses for investment purposes only. Some went on to be sold for big money, many went for meat - some of those were saved right off the meat trucks, and, luckily, some went to loving homes owned by small breeders or those who just wanted one or two horses. There they found love and compassion and truly were able to blossom. Such a horse was your Adam and also my Matt and hundreds of others.

My current senior stallion, Moon Sheine (El Hilal x Nafairtiti (by *Morafic) came to me with several physical and emotional scars. He had been bounced around, leased out etc. He was slow to respond to me, never mean, but very standoffish. Did NOT like to be touched at all. It took him months to warm up to me, but once he did it was magical. This season I took him to a big, fancy farm for semen collection. He was there for a month. The owners of the facility treated him kindly, he had his own paddock right across from the mares and foals, and own box stall. Fed 4 times a day, exercised, was collected(mounting a LIVE mare) almost every day, etc. The dream life for a breeding stallion. When it was time to pick him up, they said he probably wouldn't want to go home. It was pouring rain when I drove up to get him. When he heard my voice in the barn, he was right there, wanting a cuddle. I held up his halter and he shimmied into it. They send 2 employees to help me load him. When we came around the corner of the barn, and he saw my horse trailer he gave his little *Morafic dance. I asked the employee to open the trailer door and I stepped onto the trailer. He leapt in after me. When the facility owner came out, she said "How did it go loading him?" When her employee told her that he leapt right on, that they hadn't done a thing, she was surprised. She said "I thought he would have liked to stay." When I got him home after a 3 hour haul, he was so excited. I took him into my small little barn where he has a tie stall, past the paddock that he takes turns sharing with a yearling colt and he was so pleased. I put him in his stall and you could see the joy in his eyes. When I stepped in later to put my arm around his neck and say good night, he pressed his face to my chest and cuddled me back for the first time. For the next several days, whenever I entered the barn he wanted a cuddle, I guess he had missed the affection. It did my heart good to realize that he considered this HOME. Being at the other facility was like a nice holiday at a fancy spa and resort, but it was great to be back home! These horses sometimes love and appreciate being with US as much as we love and appreciate being with THEM!
Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Saskatchewan, CANADA

Breeder of SE AND ES Arabians

#18 Ponderosa Arabians

Ponderosa Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:03 AM

LMG, it is VERY heartbreaking what happened to Adam. It always amazed me that he still loved human contact after all that, but he did. Again, I don't know if that is a tribute to his ancestory, or if it was just who he was. But, I will never forget the old guy....he was truly a gift.

Aimbri, I couldn't agree more......it is truly sad what some horses are put through because of the ignorance, greed or just downright uncaring attitudes of their owners. But, I always try to console myself by telling myself that at least while they are in my care, they are loved and well cared for. It doesn't make me feel any better about the hundreds of others that I know have met an ill fate. But, if I were a wealthy person with large acreage, I'd probably have hundreds of horses. I'd go to every auction and sale I could find and buy every horse there in hopes of giving them a better life.

I had no intention of highjacking this thread, so on the related topic......I'm a BIG fan of *Morafic, simply because I knew some of his family and I think they are wonderful! :)

#19 Paradise Egyptian Stud

Paradise Egyptian Stud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:02 AM

I have always loved *Morafic and he is the reason I wanted to get into Arabians and then Straight Egyptians.
What a shame about your horse Ponderosa. That makes me sick. I do know however after very recently rescuing a stallion with *Morafic up close three times in his pedigree that he is the same way. He came to our farm a little over a month ago still loving people and has fit in here just perfectly. The first time we walked into his stall he wrapped his neck around us to give us a big hug. He is so loving. This was the second time in this poor fellow's life that he was rescued out of a horrid situation. I would have thought that he would have had no faith left in humans.
Here is a pic of our boy Hajal (Ibn Shaikh x Hafiidah by Al Fattah). He was also bred by Gleannloch. He will have a forever home here with us.

Cyglenda

user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users