6 replies to this topic

#1 Kaiczaire

Kaiczaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:34 PM

I am interested in learning more about the Donoghue lines. Particularly what horses to look for in a pedigree.

I have a lovely mare that I know has some Donoghue in her tail female line but the only way that I know this is that I worked for the breeding farm where she was born and the owner talked about her grand dam being Donoghue. The rest of the horses where russian cross so I didn't learn much about the Donoghue line. I felt blessed when I found this mare for sale a few months ago and was able to make a deal on her!

Her name is Musarions Diamond (Musarion x Arions Princess) her grand dam is Donna Serra (this is the Donoghue mare).

Every foal that I ever knew of Princess (and Princess herself) had the most wonderful disposition and my understanding is that is from the Donoghue lines. They also seemed to be athletic horses and I would like to have a better understanding of this breeding.

Thanks!

#2 suebrash

suebrash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:09 AM

Hello,
I know something about the Donoghue horses. I grew up about sixty miles from there and was at the Donoghues many times. As I grew up, I owned a half-Arabian whose sire was from the Donoghue line and I was fortunate enough to work with Walter "Chappy" Chapman and Carol Chapman who trained most of the top Donoghue horses. I remember well Ibn Hanrah, Beau Ibn Hanrah, Pulque, Al-Marah Cassanova... the stallions and others as well. Mares too, especiallly Confidential and Tandelayo. Later, Cass Ole was at Chappy's ranch many times before and after the making of "The Black Stallion".

My own horse, Santa's Tutor Bug (believe me, I didn't name him...we called him "Tut"), half Quarter Horse, became quite a performance and even halter champion. Great personality and he could do it all; Western Pleasure, English Pleasure, Reining, Trail, Park Horse... even the dressage like to Spanish Walk, etc.

Yes, this bloodline was well known for being easy to train and versatile.

Here's a little more research for you to check out:
http://www.wiwfarm.c...venportCMK.html

*DEYR was noted as a sire of breeding stallions. His son, H ARARA #122 (out of *Haffia # 45 ) sired eighteen foals, a substantial number for the time, but is chiefly remembered as the sire of A NTEZ #448 , who was an extremely important sire in this country beginning in 1928 . A sire line is still in existence today for *D EYR through his grandson, A NTEZ . Of *D EYR 's own sons, the best known was H ANAD . He is represented in current breeding through sire lines tracing to several of his sons, including I BN HANAD (through Tsali and other Sunny Acres breeding), H ANRAH (though Ibn Hanrah in the Donoghue breeding program) and T RIPOLI , used extensively in 100% Davenport production. Both H ANAD and A NTEZ were successful in the production of mares of equal merit to their sons.

http://groups.msn.co...515100383046049

The picture at the bottom of the page with the man on Ibn Hanrah is Walter Chapman "Chappy", my mentor.

Hanad: Ibn Hanrah's sire: http://www.ablackhor....php?t1211.html

If you find out more about where these horses were dispersed from Donoghue's, I'd love to know more about where they are now. I have been trying to find the horses. I have recently found a mare that is only 10 and is a grandaughter of Beau Ibn Hanrah (he was a beautiful stallion.)

Enjoy your horse!! I would love to see other pictures.
Sincerely,
Susan B.

#3 monethorse

monethorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2464 posts
  • Interests:I love spending time with our horses, of course. But when I am not at the barn I am enjoying the water on our boat and the Florida sunshine!!

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:06 PM

user posted image

Here is a picture of our mare Baska Rose JSW. Her sire's dam is a daughter of Beau Ibn Hanrah out of Donna Millady. Her full pedigree is on our website at kmstablesinc.com.
Kristi
www.kmstablesinc.com
Home of KM Buagtti

#4 monethorse

monethorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2464 posts
  • Interests:I love spending time with our horses, of course. But when I am not at the barn I am enjoying the water on our boat and the Florida sunshine!!

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:10 PM

Baska Rose also has lines to Pulque, Ibn Hanad as well. She produced a nice black colt last year and this year she produced a bay filly by Bask Afire Bey. We left her open and still have not decided who to breed her to at the first of the year. Any ideas would of a good cross for her would be great!!
Kristi
www.kmstablesinc.com
Home of KM Buagtti

#5 Kaiczaire

Kaiczaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:26 PM

Thank you, this is helpful information. I will try and get a picture of my mare to post!

#6 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts
  • Interests:Breeder of American Foundation and Al Khamsa Arabian Horses. Honey Creek Farms Est. 1987 is located 55 miles southeast of downtown Dallas, Texas. We have quality offspring available. Our bloodlines are tried and true with best friend dispositions, athletic prowess, beauty, substance, balance and correct conformation. We emphasize the strain of the Saqlawiyat.

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(monethorse @ Aug 19 2005, 09:10 PM)
Baska Rose also has lines to Pulque, Ibn Hanad as well. She produced a nice black colt last year and this year she produced a bay filly by Bask Afire Bey. We left her open and still have not decided who to breed her to at the first of the year. Any ideas would of a good cross for her would be great!!

View Post

Our stallion, Mesqual, has 3x Pulque+ in his pedigree and is a grandson of Ibn Hanrah. Mesqual is the only bay Pulque+ grandson standing at stud in the world. He is an IAHA Sweepstakes Nominated Sire, Early American Foundation, SBV, CMK and Saqlawi-Al'Abd in strain.

user posted image

We have the Pulque Preservation Program in existence. Mesqual might be a good candidate for your mare.

Ibn Hanrah
user posted image

Pulque+
user posted image

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton
Triple Cross Ranches & Honey Creek Farms
http://www.honeycreekfarms.biz/

American Foundation Arabian Horses - The Original ATVs

Pulque Preservation Program
Texas Foundation Arabian Horse Association
American Foundation Arabian Horse Association

When age prevents me from riding,
I will still keep horses as long as
I can shuffle along with a pail.
When I can no longer shuffle,
I will roll my wheelchair to the pasture
Fence to watch my horses graze.

#7 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts
  • Interests:Breeder of American Foundation and Al Khamsa Arabian Horses. Honey Creek Farms Est. 1987 is located 55 miles southeast of downtown Dallas, Texas. We have quality offspring available. Our bloodlines are tried and true with best friend dispositions, athletic prowess, beauty, substance, balance and correct conformation. We emphasize the strain of the Saqlawiyat.

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:57 PM

Ibn Hanrah was bred by John Mowinkle. He was the cornerstone of the breeding program of Gerald Donoghue. He was Early American Foundation, SBV.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA

user posted image
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton
Triple Cross Ranches & Honey Creek Farms
http://www.honeycreekfarms.biz/

American Foundation Arabian Horses - The Original ATVs

Pulque Preservation Program
Texas Foundation Arabian Horse Association
American Foundation Arabian Horse Association