13 replies to this topic

#1 Austin

Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

I was going through the barn, taking off every scrap of blanket that every horse had on this weekend. I was also supposed to make it look nice. Took me about 45 min to an hour (I was given another task halfway through). I was thinking, "I wonder what other people do when they do this?" With the hoodie, day sheet, and heavy blanket, it was tough to fit it all on the bar on the wall on which we hang blankets. And when I was done, most of the straps had fallen out of the bottom and were sitting on the ground.

So I ask you, what do YOU do to hang your blankets properly?
Austin Garrett
Self Proclaimed Halter Brat
Just another punk kid with a computer.

#2 rosebrok

rosebrok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5196 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

Get a bigger rack. =)

I had my Dad build a three tier wood pole rack- chain links in between the bars- to hang at the end of the barn up high so that the blankets wouldn't touch the ground. It was easy to get into and looked clean. I think if I had another one made I would rig it so that it worked like a ladies skirt hanger- with a bar that you could push in and then pull out in order to just slip the blankets off the rung instead of having to cram them over.
Sissy Crane-Allard
KarenJann Artistry

#3 Tasha

Tasha

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

One of the barns I showed with for a bit, had a nice little set up. They put the sheet & hood on the blanket bar, but they also had a hook on every stall that was high up enough to keep the blankets hanging without dragging on the ground. Putting the blankets on the hooks took down the bulk on the blanket bar, helped make it look more "presentable". Though the hooks can be a PITA if you're to short to reach them...
Tasha Tinagero

Addicted To Luv - Bey Oro X Mi Amaretta (Huckleberry Bey++)

#4 GoShow

GoShow

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

Our barn owner/trainer is a neat freak. NO blankets on stalls or anywhere in the aisleway. The only thing on the stalls is the halter.

We have a blanket room. Hooks for each horse. Nicy and tidy.
Teri
"No heaven can heaven be, if my horse isn't there to welcome me."
Author Unknown

#5 PHTC

PHTC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1484 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Hey Teri ...my offer still stands ...........come get this guy

#6 2good2no

2good2no

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts
  • Interests:English, Park, National Show Horses, Half Arabs

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

Well, must be nice to live where it's warm right at the moment. It's suppose to get down to the single digits tonight, not to mention that wind chills are suppose to be minus 10-15 or lower. brrrrrrrr!!! I finally broke down and bought a fleece liner from Schneiders, which came today. It's on and the "princess" is snug for the night. But once it starts warming up, blankets at the trainer's hang on hooks near the stalls. Mine, it stays on a hook until I'm sure it's not going to get cold enough to put back on. Then off to the laundromat on the corner. I sneak in there to wash it so I don't get kicked out for bringing in a nasty horse blanket. Well, it's not that nasty, but still.....it stinks. I do wash it twice to be sure there are no soap suds left, and the second washing helps clean the machine. I hate to store dirty blankets here at home. I hang them on hooks in my shed. That way they air out, and I don't have any worries about critters living in the shed.

#7 Sandee Andrews

Sandee Andrews

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2194 posts
  • Interests:http://www.ReflectionSA.com

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

At my current barn, we have blanket bars and that is how they are folded and hung. I am sure it takes someone a long time to do it every day, as the bars are not that big and we sheet and blanket. I would not want to be the person that blankets and unblankets in my barn every day.

When I worked at Ventura Farms, they had bars on the stall doors that were nice and roomy and large quilted blankets (sheets, hoods, etc) were folded and hung nicely. It did not take that long to blanket and/or unblanket horses.

When I worked at Om El Arab, we folded the blankets nicely and put them in a neat square on the ground in front of the stall (if you knew how their stalls were set up, Spanish style, it would make sense).

Sounds like bars with more space on them would fix your issue.

Sandee Andrews

Please, Someone, Tickle Me.

#8 Mel Adjusted

Mel Adjusted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

Before you hang the blanket-lay it flat in the aisle and pull allt he straps up so they lay across the blanket , then fold the blanket in half- butt end to chest end. pick up by butt/chest ends so fold is on the bottom and in front- cram butt/chest end over bar. Fold slinkys and liners and place on top.Neat folded part is in front.

I always liked having them folded neatly on the ground, that way if you have open stall fronts the horses cant get to them and they don't stick out in the aisle. I HATE HATE HATE blanketting and unblanketing though, so I probably just like it because it's easier.
Melanie Francis, sacred cow kicking free of charge.

#9 Samrdr1

Samrdr1

Tom Neese

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8603 posts
  • Interests:eventing/ fox hunting-DHH/Arab crosses/OTTBs/Saddlebreds

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

Blankets ?

What are they ?

Tom N

Elmo BELIEVE this : " I've seen Jesus twice and I think I have fecal matter in my pants" A member of the Coal valley Hunt after a run

#10 Bob

Bob

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 3095 posts
  • Interests:Good looking Arabian athletes.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(Samrdr1 @ Jan 15 2009, 01:56 PM) View Post
Blankets ?

What are they ?

Tom N

Goes under one of them saddle things..........or is it over top??

Bob Wasylyk
Willow View Arabians

#11 JBD

JBD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

We have a row of hooks to hang the blankets across from the stalls. I hate blanket bars, too time consuming. And I'm afraid if we put the hooks near the stalls, the horses would pull the blankets in and chew holes.

#12 JBD

JBD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(Samrdr1 @ Jan 15 2009, 01:56 PM) View Post
Blankets ?

What are they ?

Tom N

Jeez, do you baby your horses at all??? Next thing, you'll be running out nekkid in the snow and jumping on them with no tack.

#13 Mel Adjusted

Mel Adjusted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

eewwwwwwwwwwwwww
Melanie Francis, sacred cow kicking free of charge.

#14 Austin

Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

LOL thank you guys.
Austin Garrett
Self Proclaimed Halter Brat
Just another punk kid with a computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic