• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderstruck504

Thunderstruck504

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Rudy (aka Eternal Pflame) Bask Flame x LC Psecret Pspot<br /><br />Rose (aka Emanors Rose) *Emanor x LC Psecret Pspot<br /><br />Chip (aka CP Thunderstruck) Colour Me Hot x LC Psecret Pspot<br /><br />Bubba (aka Banachec) Banduke x GA Rozon

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

I pretty much already know the answer to the question but I'm going to ask anyway in hopes of a good outcome somewhere. My neighbor has a 20-something-year old mutt of sorts (gaited pinto) that just started to show hematuria (blood in the urine) this morning. He is drinking little (if any) water but is normal in appetite. Has anyone ever seen a GOOD outcome with hematuria in a horse? I know it's likely bladder tumor/kidney related and I really hate to pass the info on. He has been on unemployment for 6+ months so I really hate to see him invest a ton of money in workup for a horse with a very poor prognosis. He simply doesn't have the funds. Anyone have a good outcome from a hematuria case?
Jennifer

The kids of Checpoint Arabians
CP Thunderstruck (Colour Me Hot x LC Psecret Pspot)
CP Emanors Rose (*Emanor x LC Psecret Pspot)
Eternal Pflame (Bask Flame x LC Psecret Pspot)
Banachec (Banduke x Ga Rozon) 3/5/1976 - 5/29/2011 Always in my heart
CP Colour Me Rosey (Colour Me Hot x CP Emanors Rose) - AKA Daisy:)

Been there, done that, got nothing but a few beautiful horses and a mound of debt to show for it.

Never miss an opportunity to spend time with your horse. 35 years go by in the blink of an eye.

#2 ridgedweller

ridgedweller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(Thunderstruck504 @ Jan 19 2009, 11:21 AM) View Post
I pretty much already know the answer to the question but I'm going to ask anyway in hopes of a good outcome somewhere. My neighbor has a 20-something-year old mutt of sorts (gaited pinto) that just started to show hematuria (blood in the urine) this morning. He is drinking little (if any) water but is normal in appetite. Has anyone ever seen a GOOD outcome with hematuria in a horse? I know it's likely bladder tumor/kidney related and I really hate to pass the info on. He has been on unemployment for 6+ months so I really hate to see him invest a ton of money in workup for a horse with a very poor prognosis. He simply doesn't have the funds. Anyone have a good outcome from a hematuria case?

For what it is worth: Our 30 year old gelding had blood in his urine one day this past summer, very bright red blood, happened to be there to see him urinate. We figured this was the beginning of the end, watched him closely, he ate and drank normally and the next time he urinated it was totally normal looking. That was about 6 months ago and he is still going strong, if you count being fed "pre-chewed" food going strong. (perhaps a stone that passed? Don't know, but I would say from that experience that one day of bloody urine may not be a death warning, although it may be.)

#3 No Barn Farm

No Barn Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Just an FYI.
In Cold weather horses can get a little blood in their urine. My vet tells me that it is from drinking very cold water, and that geldings are most susceptible to it. So it may not be anything to worry about. I have a couple that do it in the winter too, I freaked out the first time I saw it.

Now if it is bright red, that might be a different problem, vs a reddish brown urine spot in the snow that I have seen with my horses.

#4 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Interests:Veterinary medicine, photography, quilting

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

The biggest thing is to determine if its truly blood in the urine or if its pigments that are oxidizing. Horse urine will often times appear orangey-brown especially once its sat in the air. Especially noticable in the snow. Obviously, the only way to tell for sure is to get a urine specimen and an exam. Could be something as easy as a sheath infection or as bad as kidney/bladder tumor or stones.
Dina Wild, DVM

Veterinarian by day...and some nights....and most weekends...and every other holiday....
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

#5 aggresca

aggresca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

cvm2002, would to much "rich" alfalfa hay cause this as well?

Rachel

#6 Thunderstruck504

Thunderstruck504

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Rudy (aka Eternal Pflame) Bask Flame x LC Psecret Pspot<br /><br />Rose (aka Emanors Rose) *Emanor x LC Psecret Pspot<br /><br />Chip (aka CP Thunderstruck) Colour Me Hot x LC Psecret Pspot<br /><br />Bubba (aka Banachec) Banduke x GA Rozon

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

It is definitely blood in the urine...not all blood at this point, but blood-tinged for sure. He is on a timothy mix hay so not a worry of overdosing the alfalfa. I hadn't heard of the cold weather causing such a phenomenon, but it would make a lot of sense. We are apparently one of the coldest spots in the country (and have been for about a week now). My "kids" are spoiled rotten and have heated water everywhere but my neighbor lacks the electric outlets to power the buckets so his horses are pretty much drinking out of the tap. It's either that or they get a mighty cold drink later. He is putting him on Pen G for now just in case their is a kidney infection. Anything worse is unfortunately much worse and it is unlikely that any amount of money/meds would help. I thank you guys very much for your input. I will pass the info along to him.

P.S. Ridgedweller: Yes, I consider an old guy eating pre-chewed food going strong! My soon to be 33-year old is a living testament to that...he's been on it for 1 1/2 years:)
Jennifer

Been there, done that, got nothing but a few beautiful horses and a mound of debt to show for it.

Never miss an opportunity to spend time with your horse. 35 years go by in the blink of an eye.

#7 Cassie

Cassie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:My boys, Arabian horses, photography

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(Thunderstruck504 @ Jan 19 2009, 11:47 PM) View Post
It is definitely blood in the urine...not all blood at this point, but blood-tinged for sure. He is on a timothy mix hay so not a worry of overdosing the alfalfa. I hadn't heard of the cold weather causing such a phenomenon, but it would make a lot of sense. We are apparently one of the coldest spots in the country (and have been for about a week now). My "kids" are spoiled rotten and have heated water everywhere but my neighbor lacks the electric outlets to power the buckets so his horses are pretty much drinking out of the tap. It's either that or they get a mighty cold drink later. He is putting him on Pen G for now just in case their is a kidney infection. Anything worse is unfortunately much worse and it is unlikely that any amount of money/meds would help. I thank you guys very much for your input. I will pass the info along to him.

P.S. Ridgedweller: Yes, I consider an old guy eating pre-chewed food going strong! My soon to be 33-year old is a living testament to that...he's been on it for 1 1/2 years:)

I lived in the moutains of Colorado for a few years and it was very common to see blood tinged urine in the winter. Horses don't like icy cold water, hence don't drink like they should. Warmer water and or warmer temps will make this problem go away. I have a friend who still has horses in the mountains that drink from a natural spring. She has never lost a horse because of this. More than just blood tinged urine would be a whole different problem.
A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse! -William Shakespeare

TF Seneca (Wisdom x Dala)
PA Master Copy (TF Psymreekhe x Khopy Khat)
Solozar (Solstice x FVF Kashmir)
Alaata Sol (Solstice x Aliita)

#8 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

I would argue again that the above is NOT blood in the urine, but concentrated pigments that are oxidizing.
Dina Wild, DVM

Veterinarian by day...and some nights....and most weekends...and every other holiday....

#9 No Barn Farm

No Barn Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(cvm2002 @ Jan 20 2009, 11:40 PM) View Post
I would argue again that the above is NOT blood in the urine, but concentrated pigments that are oxidizing.

Okay...but my vet said it is blood from the iritation of cold water....I'll call and find out the technical, and you two can argue..lol.

#10 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:53 AM

Realistically, how would cold water affect the kidneysin such a manner? Its going to reach body temperature by the time it hits the stomach and certainly by the time it hits the blood stream. Then its just...water.
Dina Wild, DVM

#11 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts
  • Interests:Showing halter, native costume, trail riding, gardening and on occasion showing a mini poodle.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

Ditto.
I am not arguing with Dina.................My vet said the same thing, concetrated pigments that are oxidizin and it happens all year long, you just don't see it in the summer.

#12 PennyB

PennyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

Saw the same in my old (20+) stallion... watched him urinate one day... tea colored! Vet said not to worry about it, just concentrated...

That was 4 years ago, and he's still just fine.

Also went into panic when the inside of his mouth turned BLACK!! Tongue, gums, everything! Vet laughed at me and said it was just that he was eating the plantain weeds.... which evidently they love after the first frost... releases the sugars.
PLB

#13 Cassie

Cassie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:My boys, Arabian horses, photography

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Don't really know if it was just concentrated pigments or blood, (just looked like it was blood tinged urine). When the water is cold, horses don't drink as much they should. That could not only concentrate urine pigments but could also affect the kidneys. I wasn't saying that the cold water actually gets to and affects the kidneys. Either way, it wasn't anything to be terribly concerned about.
A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse! -William Shakespeare

TF Seneca (Wisdom x Dala)
PA Master Copy (TF Psymreekhe x Khopy Khat)
Solozar (Solstice x FVF Kashmir)
Alaata Sol (Solstice x Aliita)

#14 Thunderstruck504

Thunderstruck504

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:57 AM

After doing some research with one of the vets I work with, we discovered there is a syndrome called idiopathic renal hematuria. It is immune mediated and typically self limiting. In other words, the cause is unknown but for some reason the body mounts a minor attack on the kidneys and causes inflammation and therefore blood in the urine. It usually resolves on its own. I think the cold weather may play a role in that my immune-mediated tendonitis is flaring horribly right now. We will remain hopeful that this is the case. The weather is warming (temporarily) so hopefully we will see improvement. We'll keep you posted.

P.S. Still sure it was blood as the other horses do not have red in their urine. It was definitely red and not the orangey oxidization.
Jennifer

#15 Judy81350

Judy81350

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

My 32 yo mare had reddish tinged blood and then all of a sudden it went away. She was all tucked up and gaunt during that time as well. My vet did tests on her and determined that she has passed a stone. She has done this 3 times now. Last time was when she was 29. Hopefully her rock quarry is empty now.
Home of...
AQHA Miss Kid Concho(Kidnap Bar(Magnolia Bar) x Babe Concho(Sonny Cuero)1977 ch m
APHA This Kids Easy(Im Easy(Hopefull Spots) x Miss Kid Concho(Kidnap Bar)1995 ch/overo m
APHA This Kids Berry Cool(Berry Cool x This Kids Easy)2009 sorrel filly
APHA Easy and Dun(Im Easy(Hopefull Spots) x Kids Shooting Star(Sheiks Kingbee x Miss Kid Concho)1995 dn g
AHA Khassandraa(AA Khabor(*Naborr) x Nisans Tiye(Nisan Mohr)1984 g m
AHA Magic Spirit(*Nelson(*Mag) x HM Moun Magic(Azor)1985 ch m
AHA Baskimbeau(Rochambeau(*Bask) x Miss Kimfa(Kimfa)1988 b g
AHA Addorra Is Hope(Sir Topaz(*Muscat) x Faddjurs Angel(Nobilidi)2007b m
Tater Tot, Miniature horse(unknown x unknown)1999 blue roan stallion
Merlin, Miniature horse(unknown x unknown)1995 brown gelding

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)