• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Roulett

Roulett

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 4800 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

our news was all over this story last night --- some of those flea and tick drops and shampoo's are dangerous to our pets. Geez, you can't trust anything
now-a-days!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29748715/
Angelique
Proud owner of Russian Roulett+
http://russianroulett.net/Tribute.html
2003/2004 USEF HOTY, Reg. 2 H/J
2005 Special Recognition/Ambassador Award as a JUMPER!
2006 - Senior Masters winner
2007 - 18 Division Championships --- 2 reserves --- besting over 1200 jumpers
2008 - retires as #65 in the Centennial 100 list

#2 kirsten

kirsten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, painting, gardening

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

This really doesn't surpise me--we are pouring poison on our animals which they absorb into their systems--that is why it kills fleas and ticks--thought everyone understood that. I use this stuff as little as possible, I never use flea "dips," but I can't have my animals chewing their hides off or being sucked dry by ticks. Frankly I have never found that Hartz's or Sargent's produces even work. I have also never found a "natural" produce that did any good.

#3 tapper

tapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2646 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

Yeah. It's not that great for them, but the alternative (fleas and ticks) is even worse. I haven't found a natural form that works either. When the barn I'm at got chickens though, I did notice a huge drop in the amount of ticks around.
If April Showers bring May flowers, What do February blizzards bring? (besides increased sales in aluminum roof rakes :))

#4 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Interests:Veterinary medicine, photography, quilting

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:34 AM

Hartz & BioSpot in particular are utter garbage. We get more calls about animals having reactions to this junk. Even these things that are LABELLED for cats can be toxic. The best calls are when some fool buys the dog size and puts it on their cat.

Stick to the veterinary products. As far as natural stuff goes, ingested garlic & brewers yeast seem to work ok.
Dina Wild, DVM

Veterinarian by day...and some nights....and most weekends...and every other holiday....
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

#5 harjcon

harjcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

I lost our "daughter" Chessie from this. She had her bath with Adams Flea and tick shampoo. I gave her Heartgard for heartworm prevention. Two days later I put her flea and tick drops on her neck. The next evening she went into convulsions. Her temp went to 105. It was a very ugly night. I stayed with her at the emergency vet office all night. We thought maybe we were out of the woods because about 5 am she recognized me and licked my hand. Then had more convulsions. I called my husband to come to the office. Together we made the decision that it was time and the vet gave her the shot. My husband put her in "their" truck and took her riding through all her favorite places. She is buried under her favorite tree in the back yard. We took the phone off the hook and stayed in bed for 2 days.
Chessie was only 13 and still very active. She was a Christmas gift from my sister and brother when we moved into our new house. Everyone knew Chessie. At horse shows I could leave her at the tack stall and not worry about anyone messing with my stuff. She went to all shows and also chased down my loose horse and grabbed the lead rope and trotted him back to my stall. She made the Richmond Times Dispatch for that. At ball games she would shag the loose balls. She was always invited to parties, where she was usually the best mannered guest there.

I questioned the vet about this. I questioned the pharmasutial companies. No one would admit this was a problem. I knew that this was the cause. I am finally glad that it is coming out. IT broke our hearts to lose her this way, knowing that I had created this toxin that killed her. I had done the same routine all her life.
Connie - "wannabe me" me?
WA Rocketman
Chynna Bey
Forever Czar's Fire

EC Imdair, 5/88-1/10

#6 Robin Wright

Robin Wright

Advanced Member

• Ablackhorse AHA
  • 880 posts
  • Interests:Horses, gardening, computers, passing anti-slaughter legislation. Please check my site at www.ghostfleetfarm.com and let me know if I forgot to include a rescue. I'm looking for website links only right now. Thanks, Robin

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(kirsten @ Mar 19 2009, 05:32 PM) View Post
This really doesn't surpise me--we are pouring poison on our animals which they absorb into their systems--that is why it kills fleas and ticks--thought everyone understood that. I use this stuff as little as possible, I never use flea "dips," but I can't have my animals chewing their hides off or being sucked dry by ticks. Frankly I have never found that Hartz's or Sargent's produces even work. I have also never found a "natural" produce that did any good.

Ditto... I had a 4 year old Sheltie die from liver cancer and a 11 year old Golden die from lung cancer. I had always used the once a month flea spot-on and will always believe they developed the cancers from it.
Robin W.

#7 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

Of course, keeping in mind that the most common of the veterinary topicals (Frontline, Advantage for starters...) AREN'T absorbed systemically, but are retained within the skin.

Forgot to mention this earlier, but for those of you looking for "natural", you might want to consider the new oral flea control tablet called Comfortis. The main ingredient spinosad is a compound isolated from soil. Was originally used as a pesticide for organic orchards. It is considered a "green" product. Starts killing fleas 30 minutes after ingestion and has 100% kill rate by 4 hours.
Dina Wild, DVM

Veterinarian by day...and some nights....and most weekends...and every other holiday....

#8 sneakers

sneakers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

When permethrin spot on flea products first entered the market, I received samples from the drug companies. My labradors promptly seizured when I applied the product. Consequently, I have never recommended these products to my clients. I too see cats who have had the misfortune to receive the dog product from careless owners.
Currently, I recommend frontline plus, advantage, or comfortis. Comfortis is a nice alternative for dogs with irritated skin since the topicals don't disperse as well when inflamation is present. The down side of comfortis is that some dogs will vomit it, and comfortis has no activity against ticks.

#9 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts
  • Interests:Showing halter, native costume, trail riding, gardening and on occasion showing a mini poodle.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

As a dog groomer for almost 19 years.........We tell our customers to stay away from those products.

. Flea shampoos containing Pyrethrins are safe, while the synthetic version Permethrin causes a LOT of problems, seizures/death or vomiting.
We have been recommending Advantage/Frontline, but are noticing that the fleas developing a resistance to these products. So, for our customers we are advising them to talk to their vets about adding Program or if you want to combine heartworm and flea control.......Sentinel. I will be switching to Sentinel this year. The heartworm preventative is the same as Inteceptor and the flea control is Program.
Program does NOT kill fleas, it prevents the fleas from producing Chitin, which is required for the making of the exoskeleton. So, pretty much, birth control for fleas. This will break the cycle.
This way you can use the top spots along with it.

Now on to flea shampoos. When we do have a dog come in with fleas.......the pyrethrin containing shampoos no longer work. We switched to Bark2Basics Citrus Plus Shampoo. It contains 10% D'Limonene which is derived from citrus peels and is toxic to fleas. Works GREAT! This is a great shampoo for dogs with irritated skin and/or greasy coats. Yet works well for dogs with a normal coat.
Bark2Basics also makes a shampoo called Skin Remedy. We have dogs come in with staph, yeast infections and horrible itchy wrinkle skin. I always try out new shampoo on our own dogs first. Well, I had not had a chance to try it out and we had this poor dog whose skin was just horrible, thickened, wrinkled hair missing, smelly. They had pretty much exhausted their options with the vet, short of putting her to sleep. She came in just scratching and miserable, so I tried this shampoo on her. It did not stop the scratching, but really lessened it. We sent some home with her and told them to use it once a week. That dog came in in 6 weeks and I seen improvement in her skin and they said she was not scratching as much. Their vet was impressed.

Here is the link for the Citrus Plus shampoo.
We get it from Groomers Choice

http://www.groomersc...oductinfo/BBCP/

#10 mmranch

mmranch

Advanced Member

• Equipac Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, trail riding, raising dogs (rat terriers), IBO for Fastract products. We enjoy working with 4-H, FFA, and <br />trauma horses.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

Several years ago, I used a fly spray with that very chemical in it on my mule and she broke out in huge blisters. She went to rolling and we couldn't get her to stop. It was a violent
roll. We took her to the vet and he gave her some IV meds and we brought her home and had to put her in the stock trailer to keep her from rolliing. The itch was unbelievable.
The blisters broke open and caused huge sores all over her body. To this day, if you look close, the hair is a different color. She refuses to allow me to put anything on her except
skin so soft from Avon.

The company did pay my vet bill. But, I don't use any long acting fly spray on my horses. There is only one other thing, she won't let me do and that is to use a curry comb on
her as she got it caught underneath her tail and clamped down on it and went to bucking in the stall with the curry comb under her tail. She couldn't unclamp her tail long enough
for us to get it out. Thinking back on it, it was rather funny, but it was scarry too as I didn't know how in the world we were going to get it out with her bucking and kicking.
She finally layed down in the stall and we grabbed her tail and pulled it up and it came out. She was in a little 6x10 stall at eminence.

Lorretta
color="#0000FF"][/color]email:

#11 harjcon

harjcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

We have been using Revolution on my two labs for the past 6 months. Any thoughts on this product? Our dogs stay out most of the day and come in at night.
Connie - "wannabe me" me?
WA Rocketman
Chynna Bey
Forever Czar's Fire

EC Imdair, 5/88-1/10

#12 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

The main component of Revolution is selamectin (same drug class as ivermectin & Moxidectin) and it works differently than Frontline & Advantage. The latter are retained within the skin levels and do not go systemic. Selamectin DOES go systemic, which is why you can manage intestinal parasites & heartworms with it. Very good product, especially for those animals with flea allergy dermatitis. Its a rapid flea-kill product
Dina Wild, DVM

#13 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts
  • Interests:Showing halter, native costume, trail riding, gardening and on occasion showing a mini poodle.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

Revolution is what we use on the cat.
What most people don't know is that cats can get Heartworm also. There is no test and no cure. The heartworm migrates to the cats lungs. So, they only way they can diagnose it, is through a necropsy. Symptom of a cat with Heartworm is coughing.
Cheryl

#14 sneakers

sneakers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

while most dogs will tolerate the dLimonene products, there are a few who will seizure.

#15 gessepi

gessepi

Gessepi

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 24959 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

Dog Toys

Shitza, The 500,000 year old Guru, who speaks thru Tom Zaffer, says, Obama is destroying the USA and needs to go back to community organizing, which is what he is suited for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users