3 replies to this topic

#1 Joy20

Joy20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:40 PM

After many years of searching, I finally caught up with George Altenberg - the last owner of deceased Polish greats, Pepton and Probat. He is still working in CA, but in the process of moving to Lexington, KY. I recently caught him in KY during one of his regular visits to see his horses, and boy was I blown away! The two stallions he is currently standing in Lexington are Furiat PASB and Parador PASB. He has approximately 35 Polish Arabians at the Lexington location now, with a few remaining back in CA (including Negatraz son, A Wish SFF).

I have noticed people looking for Furiat PASB on this forum in the past. A 1995 bay, he is bred Monogramm x Furora by Pepton with a dam line down to Forta and then Porta. He is a wonderfully balanced individual with an A+ temperment (sometimes being rode bare back around the farm). George tells me that he beat Ganges at the Polish Nationals in his younger years. Bred by Michalow State Stud, he was imported to the US by George in 2003. Extremely short head, and really stamps his progeny.

His more recent acquisition is the stallion, Parador (Eukaliptus x Pestka). He is a full brother to famous mare Pepeza, imported by Frank Hennessey. Pestka is the granddam of this year's Polish National Champion stallion, Poganin. I'm told this is the most prolific dam line in Poland. The blend of Eukaliptus x Probat x Bandos in this stallion results in a stunning head, balanced build, substance, and good size. Best of all, he appears to be a very good producer, as I saw some stunning fillies of his in the pastures there.

Afterwards, George drove us pasture to pasture to see his beautiful broodmares. He has a beautiful 23 year old Bandos daughter with huge, soft eyes. A stunning mare named Veann (Probat x Bandos daughter) graces his pastures, and an Emigrant daughter (also a Polish import) that is extremely difficult to take your eye off of. Best of all, time after time, he allowed us to stop and photograph these horses down to their hooves. These horses are blessed with beautiful feet and legs that so many of us search so hard, and they are simply beautiful coming right out of a pasture with dirt on them. No smoke, whips, or photo tricks there, he's got the real deal. Kudos to George for supporting and preserving these great, old Polish bloodlines.

- Gretchen

Attached Files

#2 Joy20

Joy20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

FYI - Furiat is shown left (darker bay) and Parador shown right (bright bay)

#3 AA Wish

AA Wish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:arabians<br />dressage<br />piano<br />study of ancient writings

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

Did you get more pictures?
Is there, in all republics, this inherent, and fatal weakness?....Must a government, of necessity, be too strong for the liberties of its own people, or too weak to maintain its own existence?" Abraham Lincoln

#4 Joy20

Joy20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(AA Wish @ Oct 20 2009, 07:35 PM)  
Did you get more pictures?

Yes, horse in particular you're interested in? Here are a few more of the mares/fillies out in the pastures. The black bay is a 5 yr old Furiat daughter. Head shot of light bay is a Parador daughter. Bay with blaze is a Probat daughter. And the grey mare is the 23 yr old Bandos daughter.

I am headed back next summer, as they are expecting 23 foals! I hope to come home with many more pics then.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users