16 replies to this topic

#1 CARAB

CARAB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:34 PM

Is he still alive? Any pictures to share?

#2 justamotion

justamotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:03 PM

I think he died last year, unfortunately :(

#3 LauraM

LauraM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(justamotion @ Nov 2 2005, 04:03 PM)
I think he died last year, unfortunately :(

View Post

He is listed as deceased May 14, 2004 on the Datasource.

Zodiac Matador was an extremely successful sire of motion horses which is not a surprise since he was *Bask on a mostly Crabbet mare.

#4 Sprout

Sprout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3191 posts
  • Interests:horses, arabians, drawing, writing, graphic design, photography

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:09 PM

Yep, he died last year :( So sad...he was a great horse. Here's some photos.

Attached Files

“Life is to be lived. If you have to support yourself, you had bloody well better find some way that is going to be interesting. And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself.” - Katharine Hepburn

#5 journey

journey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

I was fortunate to see and meet him a few months before his passing. He looked to be maybe 14.3 hands tall. His disposition was superb. He was so sweet and gentle. Last I saw he was stalled next to *Wizjon.

#6 RousseauRidge

RousseauRidge

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1436 posts
  • Interests:The Savyy Fund was established to help support the Equine Cushings &amp; Insulin Resistance Support Group. ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/ ) It is my hope that Savyy can continue to touch lives and help others like him though this fund. Memorial contributions may be made through Paypal, to the EquineCushings account, or directly mailed to:<br />c/o The Savyy Fund <br />Robin Siskel<br />7401 W. Washington Ave., #1011<br />Las Vegas, NV 89128<br />www.sportshorses.com/SavyyFund.htm<br />(Contact information also available here.)

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:19 PM

Here's another.

Attached Files

Christina Rousseau

#7 cindylou83450

cindylou83450

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:27 AM

Last I saw he was stalled next to *Wizjon.

Not to change the subject but can you tell me more about *Wizjon?

I bought a granddaughter (killer pen long story great mare) by Bezjon and would love more info.

#8 Ambition

Ambition

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:37 AM

Zodiac Matador, a great athlete with a great sire record.

Interesting Siring Stats on Zodiac Matador and ZM related stallions:

Zodiac Matador sired 380 registered purebred get through 2004, 133 of those are champions (35%) and 50 are National winners (13%). ZM's most successful cross was on *Bask granddaughters.

Zodiac Matador sired 118 registered 1/2 arabians through 2004, 68 are champions (58%) and 25 are National winners (37%). The vast majority are out of saddlebred or NSH mares.

Five ZM sons have sired a total of 17 purebred National winners through 2004. Fourteen of these National winners (82%) were sired by ZM sons that were out of *Bask related dams and the dams of these 14 National winners were *bask related.

Seven ZM sons have sired a total of 33 1/2 Arabian National winners through 2004. Twenty six of these National winners (79%) were sired by ZM son's that were out of *Bask related dams. Of the dams of these 26 National winners 24 were Saddlebred and 2 were 1/2 Arabian 1/2 Saddlebred.

ZM grandsons have sired horses that has won over 25 National titles in the past five years.

Interesting results to consider when looking at breeding to ZM related stallions for your next purebred or NSH foal.

Stat source: AHA Datasource
cpambition.com

#9 journey

journey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(cindylou83450 @ Nov 3 2005, 09:27 PM)
Last I saw he was stalled next to *Wizjon.

Not to change the subject but can you tell me more about *Wizjon?

I bought a granddaughter (killer pen  long story great mare) by Bezjon and would love more info.

View Post

I pm'd you.

#10 Blue Domino

Blue Domino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4075 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:09 AM

user posted image

Just visited this son of Zodiac Matador last week;Metabasque, out of a Basquez mare. The picture doesn't do him justice, he is the sire of a 2005 AHA nationals 1/2 arabian halter champion.

user posted image

This is one of his 2 year old daughters, her name is Ice Cream. Loved the name, loved the filly.

Jeff
"We who in friendship, willing work together" On this premise alone, rests the upward spiral of civilisation. "Good will towards mankind" Winston Churchill

#11 jarabfarm

jarabfarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Breeding Arabians and half-Arabians. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, reading, West Wing.

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(RousseauRidge @ Nov 2 2005, 10:19 PM)
Here's another.

View Post

Christi,
It would be very interesting, in my opinion, to post a sideview of several of the national champion stallions of the last few years beside the one of Zodiac Matador. Given, he was not too terribly tall, but there's no mistaking the muscling, shape and placement of the neck, the hinge, the beautiful wither, short back and strong hindquarters. Seems obvious to me why there are fewer and fewer outstanding performance prospects out there.

Carol Johnson
J'Arab Farm

26 years and we're almost there!

#12 RousseauRidge

RousseauRidge

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1436 posts
  • Interests:The Savyy Fund was established to help support the Equine Cushings &amp; Insulin Resistance Support Group. ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/ ) It is my hope that Savyy can continue to touch lives and help others like him though this fund. Memorial contributions may be made through Paypal, to the EquineCushings account, or directly mailed to:<br />c/o The Savyy Fund <br />Robin Siskel<br />7401 W. Washington Ave., #1011<br />Las Vegas, NV 89128<br />www.sportshorses.com/SavyyFund.htm<br />(Contact information also available here.)

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(jarabfarm @ Nov 7 2005, 08:55 PM)
Christi,
It would be very interesting, in my opinion, to post a sideview of several of the national champion stallions of the last few years beside the one of Zodiac Matador. Given, he was not too terribly tall, but there's no mistaking the muscling, shape and placement of the neck, the hinge, the beautiful wither, short back and strong hindquarters. Seems obvious to me why there are fewer and fewer outstanding performance prospects out there.

View Post

Here it is blown up.
user posted image

Christina Rousseau

#13 Northern Patriot

Northern Patriot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:24 AM

Besides the differences already noted between some recent National halter champions and ZM another real important one is cannon length and pastern angles.

I had a ZM daughter out of Strawberry Sting and my biggest regret was that I was unable to afford to breed that mare the way she should have been bred. I have two daughters by the stallion I stood for several years who is Bask and Crabbet bred with just enough Aladdinn to make G and Larry wince.LOL:0). Now I need to breed them properly to make up for my inability to do their dam justice in the past.

One is going to Heir To Glory for 2006, thanks to the ABH Auction and Tailurmaid.

#14 Charlie Dawg

Charlie Dawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:37 PM

Zodiac Matador died with his head in my lap. He was a grand old horse, a gentleman and a scholar. I feel honored to have known him the last few months of his life.

I had the opportunity to breed my Millennium LOA mare to him. The fertility gods were not shining on us, and she did not take (he was quite old by then, and although his motility looked good, I think his sperm cells had lost the ability to capicitate). I was too chicken to preg check her, preferring to stick my head in the sand and hope she didn't come back in to heat. It was heartbreaking when she did.

Cheers to Zodie, a great sire and a wonderful horse.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to advice. Proverbs 12:15

...I'm not young enough to know it all.

#15 michaela

michaela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:12 PM

For quite a few years we owned a wonderfully talented Zodiac Matador gelding named Captain and King. Matador gave this little guy a work ethic that wouldn't quit and a motor that worked best in high gear. His soundness with the effort he put forth never ceased to amaze us. Although Captain's greatest Natl's successes came in EP AOTD , he was a pistol and a blast to ride and even in retirement is still keeping riders legged up and on top of their game. Matador seemed to pass on a definite energy level to his get. I wonder if any of his sons or daughters ever ended up doing western? If anyone can think of a western Matador horse, please clue me in. I'm curious!

#16 RousseauRidge

RousseauRidge

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1436 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:15 PM

I believe there a few Matador's that compete in trail. I think western too. I'll jog my memory for names. Oh yeah, Mattinee Idol CAHR is quite a western horse.

****Edited to add******
Points Summary
The offspring of ZODIAC MATADOR+ have earned award points in the following sections from AHA Recognized Shows:
Arabian Mare Breeding Section 50
Arabian Stallion Breeding Section 26
Arabian Gelding In-Hand Section 164.5
Arabian Sport Horse Stallion Section 48
Arabian Sport Horse Gelding Section 20
Arabian Park Horse Section 920
Arabian English Pleasure Section 3688.5
Arabian Country English Pleasure Section 1643
Arabian Pleasure Driving Section 988
Arabian Country Pleasure Driving Section 490.5
Arabian Informal Combination Section 248.5
Arabian Mounted Native Costume Section 775.5
Arabian Ladies Side Saddle Section 139.5
Arabian Western Pleasure Section 313.5
Arabian Trail Horse Section 1.5
Arabian Reining Horse Section 18
Arabian Regular Working Hunter Section .5
Arabian Hunter Pleasure Section 612.5
Arabian English Show Hack Section 789.5
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Mare Breeding Section 53
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Gelding In-Hand Section 303
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Park Horse Section 960.5
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian English Pleasure Section 2302.5
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Country English Pleasure Section 1941.5
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Pleasure Driving Section 276.5
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Country Pleasure Driving Section 242
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Mounted Native Costume Section 41
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Ladies Side Saddle Section 32.5
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Western Pleasure Section .5
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Trail Horse Section 1
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Reining Horse Section 12.5
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Hunter Pleasure Section 744
Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian English Show Hack Section 27.5
Arabian/Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Dressage Training Level Section 57
Arabian/Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Dressage First Level Section 28
Arabian/Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Dressage Second Level Section 14
Arabian/Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Dressage Fourth Level Section .5
Arabian/Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Walk-Trot Pleasure Section 319
UPHA Arabian Breeds Challenge Cup Walk-Trot Section 62
Walk-Trot Equitation Section 274.5
Halter Showmanship Section 103.5
Saddle Seat Equitation Section 315.5
Hunter Seat Equitation Not to Jump Section 53
UPHA Arabian Breeds Challenge Cup Section 62.5
Arabian Formal Driving/Combination Section 177

The offspring of ZODIAC MATADOR+ have earned award points in the following sections from Open Competitions
Arabian/Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Dressage Training Level Section 19
Arabian/Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Dressage First Level Section 20
Arabian/Half-Arabian/Anglo-Arabian Dressage Second Level Section 33
Competitive Trail Section 4.2
Christina Rousseau

#17 oohlala

oohlala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:36 PM

A half arabian pinto stallion sired by Zodiac Matador named JS Matadors Playboy was trained and I believed shown in western pleasure. Really a beautiful horse!

~Lysa Roman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users