52 replies to this topic

#1 journey

journey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:13 AM

Anyone get to see this stallion in person? I unfortunately did not. However I have had the pleasure of knowing some of his daughters and sons. The ones I have been around are just the sweetest horses!

#2 JSPDesign

JSPDesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:23 AM

Well, Journey, my apprenticeship, I guess could be called both blessed and cursed. I had the great honour to be able to meet some fabulous horses but unfortunately two of them did die during my time at AM. The first year, we lost Count Pine and the second year we lost Dreamazon to EPM. I liked Dreamazon but he was an incredibly spoiled, beautiful, little man. He knew he was a favorite and could act like it. ;) When comparing that attitude to the other stallions we worked with, Count Pine, Canadian Beau, Sea Captain, Lea Baron (age range/showing/breeding comparison) Dreamazon was a bit of prima donna. However, when Dreamazon became seriously ill, his true personality really came to show. He was dignified and stoic. Dreamazon and many of his daughters are "sleepers". They like to lay down and get their beauty sleep! (This is a problem with mares due to foal wearing baby buzzers ;)) As the EPM advanced, Dreamazon would have trouble getting back on his feet, one side was worse than the other. He liked to lay in the sun out in his run off his stall. Luckily this was in front of the breeding barn apprentice apartment so we could keep an eye on him. He would be laying there quietly, patiently waiting. A few of us would go out, roll him to his good side, help him stand and one would have to hold his tail while one held his head until he found his balance. He was embarrassed, you could tell but there was still so much pride and desire to live it was rather inspiring. When he moved to the breeding barn and out of the show barn, I think he got to live just a little differently. Granted it was because his illness had advanced, but he seemed to kind of perk up for awhile. He got to watch us coming and going from our apartment, he saw mares foaling, wasn't tickled about not being part of the breeding aspect ;) but I think the change of pace appealed to him and he seemed friendlier than he had up in Show Barn.

One of my favorite combo's is a Dreamazon and Sea Captain. The beauty, disposition and ability to work for a living is really special.

Now, here's an odd little story I will tell on one of my friends. Gives you an idea how people are treated in barns before becoming the "management" and maybe give a reminder to people about how they speak to people. Most all apprentices are experienced horse people before they ever join the program, it's a matter of continueing the education and being able to network and get a foothold in the industry. So, people are visiting the farm and comment on what a beautiful Andalusian that Dreamazon is. The girl who had been showing them about the farm politely remarks that no, he is a PB Arab and one of Mrs. T.'s favorites. Something to that effect anyway. This visitor stated that she knew an Andalusian when she saw one and she didn't need some STALL CLEANER educating her on the horses. Hmmmmm. Sign out front at the gate says something about it being an ARABIAN farm. :) Oh well, but I guess Dreamazon was quite talented, he could even portray a different breed!
Jamie

#3 LauraM

LauraM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:49 AM

I saw Dreamazon in person once and he was incredibly beautiful--liked he was carved out of perfect marble by a master.

Laura

#4 seafilly

seafilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, of course, been involved or owned by since 1981, horse crazy all my life one way or another. I was lucky enough to apprentice at Al-Marah as my first experience with this breed, after owning Appys, QHs, Morgans, and others growing up. I own Mariner's Tempest, a mostly Crabbet stallion, wasn't my first, won't be my last! I have two teenage sons, both very active 4.0 students, and have been married to their dad for more than 25 years (30 if you count living in sin). I make wonderful handmade soap and also lotions and other treats - and people actually buy them, so much that I have to set aside some for my own use; I love to cook, garden (herbs, flowers, a few vegies, tropicals and ornamentals), sketch, paint, write, read, beachcomb...so will someone please get me out from in front of this monitor??

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the memories on Dreamazon...I've always wished I had seen him in person. I didn't realize that he had EPM. I understand that "embarrassed" look when he couldn't get up on his own as I had an AM Beau Triomphe daughter who went the same way a few years back. Thank goodness there have been vast improvements in treatment since then...it's heartbreaking to watch a horse go through it and not only lose control of their bodies, but their dignity along with it.

LOL, I know what you mean about the 'stall cleaner' remarks as an apprentice...sometimes we were the only staff on the farm when visitors would drop by (Al-Marah Micanopy in FL, early 80s). Often most of the stallions would be gone to a show, but I loved showing off their babies, especially AM Count Pine's...I know they made a great impression. Dreamazon came much later, so I never knew a lot about him except that he was beautiful and Mrs. T was so happy to have him. I've seen a few of his daughters and granddaughters, beautiful and substantial mares, even though I've heard Dreamazon himself wasn't a big guy.
Deb

Mariner Arabians &
Seahorse Soap Co.

"Life comes in waves, doesn't it? Some waves lift us up and some just rub our noses in the sand."

#5 JSPDesign

JSPDesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:39 PM

One of my favorite memories of him was in my first year there at my first forum. One of the apprentices (lovely young lady) was going to ride him for some exhibit. She had this beautiful dark blue riding habit and rode him sidesaddle. The image of that deep blue against his gleaming silvery coat and his long white mane & tail is a memory that will last forever. Simply gorgeous.

He was a little guy until he decided to show off. ;) Beautiful guy and he knew it. He really seemed to adore Mrs. T. as well.

Funny, I guess, but as much as I loved his offspring, since he was so vastly adored by so many, I have an obtuse personality that ends up gravitating to the ones that are getting less attention. ;) Sea Captain was still breeding and pretty much big man on campus, Dreamazon was the darling. Count Pine was a quiet gentleman. Ibn Gidason, an other quiet gentleman. Canadian Beau, a gentleman with a mischievous spark that would suprize you on his daily walk down to his pasture by the office! Lea Baron an other gentleman that loved having a run off his stall because he didn't like extremes in weather. Not too bright, not dark, not too cold, wet, hot....etc.
Jamie

#6 journey

journey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:16 PM

Loving all these stories! Please keep them coming! I had no idea he had EPM. How unfortunate, but thankfully there were those around who would lend a helping hand.

Does anyone happen to have the picture of him when he is in a halter and it looks almost like coins that are on the halter too?

#7 Sprout

Sprout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3191 posts
  • Interests:horses, arabians, drawing, writing, graphic design, photography

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:34 PM

Hey, Jamie...a little offtopic, but did you ever know a mare/filly named Polly Pique when you were at AM? She was an Ibn Gidason mare....:)
“Life is to be lived. If you have to support yourself, you had bloody well better find some way that is going to be interesting. And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself.” - Katharine Hepburn

#8 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:58 PM

Dreamazon was an absolte wonderful horse. His disposition is very evident in his get. JSP, discription is awesome. The first time I saw him in the flesh I couldn't get over his beauty. Each and every time there after he just seemed to become more beautiful and very adoring. One thing you don't hear much about is his talent. I watched him in a western pleasure class and was amazed. His transisitions were so smoothe you couldn't see him change from the jog to the lope and back to the walk. He was a primadonna. He earned it. (His daughter here is the same way. They have an heir about them) The white halter with the gold coins was made for him by someone who admired him. The halter still hangs on his Bronze. There was even an article in Eqqus on him and showed him playing with one of his weanling colts. The photo in Eqqus was sculpured on the brooze as well. The unvailing of the brooze at nationals in 1985 was bitter sweet as the future plans of him leaving (california) were revealed. I was sad to see him leave although he had done everything he could where he was at and it was time for him to continue making his mark on the world. There is a grand son of his locally and can't wait for him to become of breeding age.
Debi N.
S. Cal.

#9 JSPDesign

JSPDesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:29 AM

No, sorry Alex. The name's not famaliar. Do you remember a dam name? Not sure how Polly Pique fits in to the "name game". Ibn Gidason babies are generally named for games. Hence the mare you know Village Maypole and there was a stallion, now gelding named Memory.

Jamie

#10 fadboo

fadboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Everything Arabian. Severe weather chaser for NWS. Generally being cheeky. What's your story?<br /><br />And it's Fah-boo, not Fad-boo. :)

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:30 AM

I was lucky enough to see him the last time Bazy brought him to Nationals, and he was a vision, just the most typey, balanced, gorgeous little man. I fed him apple flavored horse cookies and left lipstick on his nose, LOL!

'boo
Michelle
MB II Arabians @
Prairie IPB Image Ranch
Deer Trail, CO

AHA Club
IPB Image
"THE GUARD"
IPB Image

#11 Oak Lawn Arabians

Oak Lawn Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, Endurance, Breeding... all done with Arabians!

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:17 AM

JSPDesign, I envy you very much. AM Count Pine is my favorite Arabian of all time and Mrs. Tankersley was gracious enough to sell me a daughter of his last year when I expressed an interest in Count Pine. The mare blessed us a week ago with a beautiful filly by our stallion who has an AM Count Pine sire line.

Here is Count My Blessings OLA (CT Saint Patrick x Shades of Pine by AM Count Pine) or 'Mia' as we call her.

Attached Files

Oak Lawn Arabians
Home of CT Saint Patrick

Line breeding Rissalix lines.
"Using Bloodlines of the Past, To Create Beautiful Athletes of the Future!"

Working for God on earth does not pay much,
but His Retirement plan is out of this world.

#12 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:08 AM

Unveiling 1985

Attached Files

Debi N.
S. Cal.

#13 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:10 AM

Very young Dream

Attached Files

Debi N.
S. Cal.

#14 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:12 AM

Owned by Hiser in WY.

Attached Files

Debi N.
S. Cal.

#15 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:15 AM

Alotazon sadly gelded when his owner wanted out of the showing and breeding business.

Attached Files

Debi N.
S. Cal.

#16 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:20 AM

another Dream son

Attached Files

Debi N.
S. Cal.

#17 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:25 AM

One more. :)
My lady..... The Queen

Attached Files

Debi N.
S. Cal.

#18 JSPDesign

JSPDesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

Your Queen is most beautiful and regal miriggs! Very nice. Is the Hiser horse you pictured Dream's Ferrari (something like that?) or a relation?

There's a few Dreamazon sons I always wondered what happened to. Seemed like nice guys, Clem Dreamon (think he was out of Demittasse, C. Beau daughter), Dreamy Smile (probably out of Centime, an other C. Beau Daughter), Mr. Dream (maybe out of Missea?). I think it was Dreamy Smile that Becky Hart did a critique and presentation on conformation my first winter forum. As I recall, he did well.

Funny how the learning experience works. I always figured when my favorite wasn't the breeder's favorite, I still had some learning to do! ;) I still feel very blessed to have met the horses and people that I did though. It's amazing to be at a farm where you may not bond with each and every horse on the place, but that every single one of them have such lovely dispositions that if you did have the chance to handle them individually a bond would surely be made.

Edited because I wanted to add a compliment to OakLawn on Mia. Very pretty little girl. I'm jealous you have a Pine daughter. I saw a little while ago that Yeo Girl was for sale and if I had the time, money and a more understanding husband ;) I would have tried to get her. I always loved anyone Pine related. Has Seafilly ever told you any of her stories? She has lovely memories of him too. She nicely gave me a little thrill and told me some past history.
Jamie

#19 Sprout

Sprout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3191 posts
  • Interests:horses, arabians, drawing, writing, graphic design, photography

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:05 PM

Jamie...I saw Clem earlier this year (he was at the January show, but I don't remember if they were showing him or not). Dreamy Smile is a gelding now, and I saw him last summer at a Schooling show (he was in one of my classes :-) ). I don't know of Mr. Dream ;-)
“Life is to be lived. If you have to support yourself, you had bloody well better find some way that is going to be interesting. And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself.” - Katharine Hepburn

#20 JSPDesign

JSPDesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:18 PM

lol really? :) Are either of them white yet? The eons ago that I knew them both were very very dark greys. Clem has a full sister named Clemmie's Dream. She was a pistol as a young lady. Smart as a whip and quick on her feet. We used her when Arabian Nights came to town and we did the "Born Free" act. Turning a whole bunch of the mares loose in the arena, to the theme song with spotlights dancing about. Mares were loads of fun to lead back to their stalls in the dark, after getting all riled up. :) Guess Dreamy Smile didn't make the final cut....or well, maybe he did! :) See? I told you, the ones I like aren't always the top choice!
Jamie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users