• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts
  • Interests:Breeder of American Foundation and Al Khamsa Arabian Horses. Honey Creek Farms Est. 1987 is located 55 miles southeast of downtown Dallas, Texas. We have quality offspring available. Our bloodlines are tried and true with best friend dispositions, athletic prowess, beauty, substance, balance and correct conformation. We emphasize the strain of the Saqlawiyat.

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:16 PM

From the AHA website:

Henry B. Babson sent people to Egypt in 1932 who brought over two stallions and five mares. This farm still preserves the same bloodlines today.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA

Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton
Triple Cross Ranches & Honey Creek Farms
http://www.honeycreekfarms.biz/

American Foundation Arabian Horses - The Original ATVs

Pulque Preservation Program
Texas Foundation Arabian Horse Association
American Foundation Arabian Horse Association

When age prevents me from riding,
I will still keep horses as long as
I can shuffle along with a pail.
When I can no longer shuffle,
I will roll my wheelchair to the pasture
Fence to watch my horses graze.

#2 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts
  • Interests:Breeder of American Foundation and Al Khamsa Arabian Horses. Honey Creek Farms Est. 1987 is located 55 miles southeast of downtown Dallas, Texas. We have quality offspring available. Our bloodlines are tried and true with best friend dispositions, athletic prowess, beauty, substance, balance and correct conformation. We emphasize the strain of the Saqlawiyat.

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:32 PM

From the AHA website:

Henry B. Babson of Chicago, Illinois, was not a young man when he set up his Arabian stud farm at Grand Detour, Illinois. Like Dickinson, he tested the Polish-Egyptian cross; his most famous stallion was the Egyptian *Fadl, who crossed on the Polish mare *Kaztelanka, produced Fadheilan, sire of Fadjur, for many years the leading living sire of champions. He differed from his contemporaries, who largely favored mating whatever horses seemed appropriate without regard to country of origin, and adhered to Egyptian bloodlines.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#3 Guest_Meralee_*

Guest_Meralee_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

user posted image
This is a very bad copy of an add of Rajar-Desra's Grand sire.Very Heavily Babson Mer

#4 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

He's a very handsome fellow!

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#5 Guest_Meralee_*

Guest_Meralee_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

Man Carrie that was fast!
user posted image This is Desras Kylo his son and Desi'd Dad :)

#6 Guest_Meralee_*

Guest_Meralee_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

user posted image
And the Love of my life( along with her Mamma! ) Golden Desra'

#7 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:14 PM

Babson elegance just can't be missed! These are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#8 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:40 PM

FASAAB - AHR*5126 was bred by Henry Babson. He was Early American Foundation, SBV.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA

user posted image
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#9 Tariq Azul

Tariq Azul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:57 PM

OH and also,Fadl was in addition to being egyptian,a rare egyptian BLUE STAR-well not so rare I guess back then. Meaning he carried no (sp) Muniqi strains. TA
BLUE STAR Al Khamsa Asil arabians.
Proud member of AHSBF

#10 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:33 PM

*Bint Bint Durra AHR 892 was imported by Henry Babson. She was Early American Foundation, SBV, Straight Egyptian, Al Khamsa, Sheykh Obeyd.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA

user posted image
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#11 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:47 PM

*SULEJMAN - AHR*1545 was imported by Henry Babson. He was Early American Foundation, SBV.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA

user posted image
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#12 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:19 PM

BEZALEEL - AHR*3890 was bred by Henry Babson. He was Early American Foundation, SBV. Photo from Eva Dano Collection.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA

user posted image
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#13 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:40 PM

FA-SERR - AHR*4482 was bred by Henry Babson. He was Early American Foundation, SBV, Straight Egyptian, Sheykh Obeyd and Al Khamsa. Photo from Eva Dano collection.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA

user posted image
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#14 eak

eak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

Question for all of, especially Carrie Lewis (enjoy all your posts and pictures). What makes the Babson bred Arabian so very special? They have a wonderful tempermant, are easily trained, and seem to enjoy human companship. They have a special "way of going", not extreme but beautiful. Where does all this come from? What ancestor contributed to this special desposition?

#15 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(eak @ Jul 22 2005, 08:59 AM)
Question for all of, especially Carrie Lewis (enjoy all your posts and pictures).  What makes the Babson bred Arabian so very special?  They have a wonderful tempermant, are easily trained, and seem to enjoy human companship.  They have a special "way of going", not extreme but beautiful.  Where does all this come from?  What ancestor contributed to this special desposition?

View Post

You are very welcome and thanks for your inquiry. Hopefully, some Babson breeders will chip in here.

My experience with Babson Arabian horses has been that they are most gentle and kind, versatile, easily trainable, with good bone, substance, conformation and balance. One of the prominent attitributes of a Babson horse is their large eyes which are gentle and show such deep wisdom. I can always spot a horse of Babson breeding by these expressive and intelligent eyes.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#16 Debra Schrishuhn

Debra Schrishuhn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:51 AM

Well, I am not strictly a Babson breeder, but my foundation sire is nearly 3/4 Babson and I am an historian of Heirloom bloodlines that include all of the Straight Egyptian Babsons except *Bint Bint Durra (she qualifies as Sheykh Obeyd but not as Heirloom) and the Heirloom/El Deree bloodlines that include the Babson/Ansata AbbasPasha cross bred at the Babson Farm (one of the few bloodlines in the Heirloom /El Deree group that is 100% American Foundation). Also have ridden and taken care of quite a few Babson/*Turfas (*Turfa ws also imported to the U.S. by Babson although she left the desert by other means, and she was bred exclusively to *Fadl. She was Sa'ud, and I believe, also qualifies as BLUE STAR. Of course she was also EAF), so I'll take a crack at answering the question about what makes Babsons special.

Sadly, the Babson Arabian Horse Farm closed its doors forever in 1999 and the core herd was dispersed. Although Straight Babson Egyptian horses constitute one of the most popular bloodlines among the SE Heirloom/Sheykh Obeyd population, their numbers are maintained with fewer than 10 births annually. The Babson crosses are immensly popular because you can get Babson temperament and athleticism combined with the flashier, more exotic looks that have become so popular of late.

The Babsons are prepotent and proven to be pretty stable genetically. Imports *Fadl and *Maaroufa were full siblings. Their sire, Ibn Rabdan (Rabdan El Azrak x Bint Gamila), was Hadban-Inzihi in strain. Karen Bragg, “The Blood of Dahman El Azrak,” The Arabian Horse Showcase, 71, describes him as dark chestnut, 15.1 h, perfect body, but straight head and lacking depth of jaw. Their dam, Mahroussa (Mabrouk Manial x Negma), was a leading broodmare in Egypt. Her strain has been rercently revised to be Saqlawi-Jidran (Ibn Sudan) tracing to Ghazieh through Bint Yamama. These two horses were bred by Prince Mohamed Aly, one of the greatest breeders of Egyptian horses in the early 20th century (see his book, Breeding of Pure Bred Arabian Horses, Cairo, 1935-6).

*Bint Serra I (Sotamm x Serra) was bred by Prince Kemal El Dine. *Bint Saada (Ibn Samhan x Saada) and *Bint Bint Sabbah (Baiyad x Bint Sabah) and *Bint Bint Durra (Ibn Rabdan x Bint Durra by Eid) were bred by the Royal Agricultural Society at Cairo. Baiyad was also Hadban-Inzihi in strain, and in the back of these mares' pedigrees you will find the same names that populate the pedigrees of the other Babson founder horses. Although none of the mares are Hadban in strain, the Hadban-Inzihi strain makes its influence felt through the sires and grandsires of the founder horses. One of the possible reasons why Babson blood crosses so well with newer Egyptian lines rich in Nazeer (a Hadban-Inzihi), for example, may be this parallel subtle influence of Hadban-Inzihi through the sires.

Henry Babson never bred the full siblings *Fadl and *Maaroufa, but he did breed together full siblings in the second generation; for example, Fa-Serr x Fa Deene (both *Fadl x *Bint Serra I) to get the great and extremely prepotent Ibn Fa-Serr. Obviously, starting with such a small group of founder horses, already fairly closely related, much close breeding occurred and prudence was exercised to select quality breeding stock from the offspring. The living Babson herd still exhibits an amazing amount of diviersity for such a closely bred gene pool, with non-*Bint Bint Durra, non-*Maaroufa (almost extinct, but not quite--one such is due in 2005!), and non-Ibn Fa-Serr lines still available, offering future opportunities for outcross within the living herd.

Obviously, *Fadl is present in all Straight Babson Egyptian pedigrees. *Bint Serra I is also omniprresent in the living herd, although her dam line is extinct.

Ok, I'm going to quit here for the moment--have to go to the barn and take care of my 3/4 Babson stallion, his 3/8+ Babson son, and my low-Babson percentage mare. My mare is AF, and the boys are AF-bred (81.25% and 90.63%, respectively).

Debra Schrishuhn

#17 Debra Schrishuhn

Debra Schrishuhn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:57 AM

Meant to add, as an aside, that one of the possible reasons that the Heirloom /El Deree horses cross well with Babsons is linked not only to the fact that most have Nazeer blood, nicking well with the Babson lines, but also that Layla, dam of Sid Abouhom (present in almost all living Heirloom/El Deree pedigrees) is by Ibn Rabdan out of Bint Sabah, making her a sister in blood to the Babson founder imports.

Debra

#18 LMG

LMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:06 AM

Why do those of us who have owned Babson and Babson bred horse like them, let me count the ways.

My first horse was a stallion by the name of Tazzrouf he was by the *Raffles son, Hamdan and out of a mare by the name of Barroufet. I know I spelled the name wrong. She, the dam was by Barrouf who was by a Crabbet import and out of *Marroufa.

For people who are interested in a really old pedigree (and have limited outside interests) that is chock full of some of the early imports, let me recommend looking up this stallion's pedigree on the Data Source.

I showed him in everything except Chess Competitions. halter, driving, Western, English Pleasure, Side Saddle, Costume. A big correct horse, he had the best personality and he could trot like a roadster. (Not the artificial trot that came later.)

He sired a horse by the name of Karrouf who went to the nationals and I think was a Top Ten Halter Horse at the Nationals. So Tazzrouf was one of the horses that was a Renissance Man in a horse's clothing and was underappreciated by his young owner, who thought this was par for the course. Forty years later, I learned that scatter pearls before swine, might have possible had a lesson in it for me.

I think his Babsonness was expressed in his lovely conformation, beautiful dispostion and his trotting ability.

Later, I owned the full brother to Ahroufa and Roufah, that is to say, Fa Serica.
A straight Egyptian of all Babson breeding, he was also a big, full body horse, very powerful and great under saddle. He sired two full sisters for me, one that became a Top Ten Working Cow Horse in Scottsdale and the other showed as a reining horse. These mares traced back to old *Turfa and Babson breeding and had that great ability to go out and show as working horses - something I think the Babsons continue to demonstrate after all these years: multi-discipline ability.

Now in my "Golden Years", I have several Egyptian mares, each mare of a little bit different line of breeding that interests me, such as an all Babson filly with one line to Hallany Mistanny, and mares that trace to Gulastra. But there are three that I feel privileged to own, two Babson mares, a Babson stallion and the newest member to this little group: Razzle Dazzle, pend., a three week old bay filly, with the typical sweet dispostion and the "I can't be anything else but an Arabians" look of Mr. Babson's living legacy.

My apologies if I have constructed any sentences that unclear, ambiguous or give the appearance that English is not my mother tonque, however, I am still in the "how do I go back and correct the draft" phase of these online postings.

LMG

#19 CarrieLewis

CarrieLewis

Silver Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2806 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:10 AM

Thank you kindly LMG. Your memories and experience are precious.

Do you have photos to share? If you have them scanned, I will help you with loading them to the thread so we can all enjoy the horses which grace your life.

Best regards
Carrie Lewis
AFAHA/TFAHA
Happy trails,
Carrie A. Woolverton

#20 LMG

LMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:32 AM

Yes, Carrie, I do have more pictures than I think anyone would want to see and I have two things that are on the top of my "to do list":

1. Scan some of these photos for the site, and

2. Learn to change verbs into adverbs for this post.

LMG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users