31 replies to this topic

#1 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

I am looking for all the ranches throughout the West that use Arabians for regular ranch work. Yes, I know there is Rushcreek Land and Cattle Company. They are at the head of my list.

How about the others? Does anyone know if the Milnes from Casper, Wyoming are still on their ranch and still have Arabians? What about all the small ranches around that use Arabians? Anyone know of these -- can you furnish a name, address and maybe hopefully a phone number?

I know there are a lot of ranchers out there with Arabians and would like to find out where/how to contact them.

#2 brsflirt

brsflirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Arabian and Half Arabian sport horses, Jack Russell Terrorists, My husband and my children

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:13 PM

The stallion I own (or should I say owns me?) used to be used on a cattle farm in Indiana I don't think they exist anymore the name was Silver Spur ranch. I believe the former owners are divorced not sure though.

Had a guy find my stallion this year had been looking all over for him to breeed a mare to, he knew him when he worked cattle. He is my dressage horse.
Breezy Ridge South
Arabian Sport Horses

#3 Guest_Marlina_*

Guest_Marlina_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:56 PM

There are the folks in Beaver, OK that have AK lines and run the ranch with them. I recall even a bridleless working stallion. Talked with him 10 + years ago and always hoped I would make it out to meet him and see the horses. Really in the middle of nowhere in the panhandle of OK as I recall.

Mark and Billie Mayo
Maple YL Ranch

405-625-4822

This is from the AK II, so hope it is still valid.

I also think there is a ranch somewhere around kerrville, TX that uses for daily ranch work. Maybe ask Tom McNair?

Good luck Liz, share your findings!

#4 paybackranch

paybackranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Reining, cutting, sporthorse disciplines & endurance

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:12 PM

Shalimar Ranch in Harrison, NE. Contact Adam Edmund 308-668-2599. This is a 60+ year old breeding program focused on Raffles / Skowronek bloodlines. It is a working cattle ranch and utilizes Arabians entirely, I believe. Adam is Doc Munson's grandson.

Melanie

#5 klu

klu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Anything Arabian! (or anything horses actually) Gardening, reading.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:36 PM

Here is another from Nebraska

Bonnie Quick
Prairie Heritage Arabians
Whitman, NE 69366

cbcquick@neb-sandhills.net

She is standing a really nice stallion
Melissa Meyer
Milford, NE

Innishfael Blues Klu (Rlink to Blue x Innisfael Willow)

#6 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

You bet I will share and you share with me your ideas and thoughts !

You can guess where I am going with this -- I am going to approach everyone for sponsorship for Working Cow Horse. There is the interest in this activity in the Northwest; there are probably the best facilities and the best cattle to be obtained here in the Southwest ! ! !

Throwing out some thoughts here -- KEEP those NAMES COMING ! ! Please !

For Sponsorships --- any amount that comes in -- 1/3rd goes to the show costs; 2/3rds goes to the two sections of Working Cow Horse. 60% of the amount going to OPEN with a higher entry fee ??? those are question marks

or should there be a limit for the Novice Section?

If there is a limit for the Novice Section and say ? What? $2000 is obtained in sponsorships from the small ranches total that would make $1000 to the winner, $500 to second and $250 for third and fourth. The way it is planned all elimination goes would be on a Friday and during the "Events" time only on Saturday the top FIVE would compete back for the money. Then the extra -- hahahaha -- could be pigeon-holed for next year, thus always helping to insure a fund for the coming year.

Wouldn't you think that if AHFA could get matching funds from some of the bigger ranches, how much should be allocated for Open? Should there be a maximum? If not, should there be a sum that after that the monies are deposited to gain interest for the coming years?

Oh by the way, AHFA has made it that in any activity the interest is added back into the fund; AHFA keeps a certain small % in other activities to pay for office costs and advertisement. The first year could be hard getting the word out unless could get donations on the advertising.

#7 I4GET

I4GET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:44 PM

Suzie Creek in Elko Nevada did . I'm not sure if they still do, the working ranch is called Maggie Creek . You can find their web site by searching for Suzie Creek Arabians.

#8 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:56 PM

Thank you , one and all, for these suggestions on contacts?

Do you know of the "smaller" breeders who happen to have foals by their stallions that have done good in OPEN Team Penning, OPEN or NRCHA Working Cow Horse? or stallions whose foals have done well in OPEN Native Costume, including parades?

With a sponsorship level of $150 that might help to get these people back involved.

And speaking of sponsorships, what do you think a $150 one should give back, benefit to the sponsor? Open to all suggestions.

#9 Hixsond

Hixsond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • Interests:Any equine athletic event which requires the horse and rider to each think, and react as one

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:55 PM

Explain what you mean!
Dennis K. Hixson
Nelson Hixson Land and Cattle Co
Princeton, Texas

"Pretty ain't enough!"

#10 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

Does anyone know if Bazy Tankersley, Al Marah is still using Arabians on her Santa Gertrudas ranch in southern New Mexico? I guess what I am saying does anyone know if she still has that ranch. I do know that at one time she was a foundation breeder for them -- Santa Gertrudas --

How about Sheila Varian? Is she still working cattle herself on one of her properties? I think both of these breeders would be great to get in on the beginning if it were possible.

#11 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

Bumping up to keep the interest level up there! Finding more places around where people are doing the working cow horse at various levels, various event activities.

So keep the people, ranches coming; places where Arabians are/can be used in working western.

#12 Prairie Heritage Arabians

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(klu @ Jun 2 2005, 12:36 PM)
Here is another from Nebraska

Bonnie Quick
Whitman, NE 69366

cbcquick@neb-sandhills.net

She is standing a really nice stallion

View Post

Hi,

Thanks to klu for giving my address for a working cattle ranch that uses Arabians. We ranch in the Sandhills of Nebraska - 7000 acres - no farming strictly cattle - so yes the horses know how to work a cow and climb hills and work in general.

I use bloodlines from Miller Arabians in CA and Shalimar Ranch here in Nebraska. My stallion is a double Xenophonn grandson and the broodmares are from Shalimar. Also have a special gelding I got from Belesemo Arabians in Idaho by Overlook Farwa who is an incredible cowhorse. We love to have visitors to the ranch and we have some young stock and broke horses avaliable if someone is looking for a working cowhorse/ranch raised trail horse.

I enjoy looking at all the posts from the different folks around!
Bonnie Quick

#13 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:22 PM

Hi Bonnie -- I see you are using the Miller cutting horse lines to add to the old working ability that Doc Munson had up there in the sandhills. The Overlook Farwa gelding should be fantastic as his sire was cutting on an equal with the Quarters back in his day!

Glad to see you around and would love to try to get in touch with you b/w X-Mas and New Years. Have a great holiday season

#14 rstark11

rstark11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:I can often be found reading horse books, aircraft manuals and trying to figure out how to fix my computer. My interests include aviation, Arabian and TB horses, rodeo (proving that an Arabian is a perfectly good barrel horse) and history.

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:29 AM

This might interest you. My father and I use our girls for working a 10000 head feedlot and 1500 head cow/calf. All are solid roping horses and love to work. Most are also shown at some point in their lives by me. My dad's current bulldogging horse is a straight Polish Arabian mare. Let's just say we get some very strange looks when he goes in with her.

Becca

#15 Nasarka

Nasarka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:reading, drawing, some gardening, pedigree research, Arabian horses though I also like all other breeds. I ride english and western, I have shown but pretty much only trail riding lately with a parade here and there to show off my lovely Arabs. I've tried sidesaddle, driving and jumping besides western and hunter pleasure. I never had much exposure with english pleasure and a cut back/park saddle. <br /><br /> I have mainly Polish/Crabbets plus a *Carmargue son and a AM Sea Captain daughter. I like square-built, compact, sound of mind and body horses that are versitile with type. Most of my guys are older (late teens, twenties) but I have a couple coming up I will train myself.

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:18 PM

I know a young person who feels Arabs don't quite measure up to QHs. I will send this info on to her so she can see they can do all the 'western' events and activities any breed can do. Keep them coming, I'm making a list for her.
Katie in Ky
Arabians, I believe, most anyone can train or ride.

Pretty is as pretty does!

Some minds are like concrete -thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
member AHSBF

#16 gruneheidi

gruneheidi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, National Show Horses, and Saddlebreds

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:27 AM

My arabians all work western. My double bred Khemosabi mare was bred in Big Fork Montana where she worked on a 5,000 acre cattle ranch. They bred Arabians for cattle work. Now she team sorts with me every weekend. We get lots of razzing from the diehard QH riders there. After 6 hours of sorting thier QH are looking wooped and my girl well shes still raring to go! Not only do they perform the jobs well they look GREAT doing it!

#17 Hixsond

Hixsond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • Interests:Any equine athletic event which requires the horse and rider to each think, and react as one

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:45 AM

Found exactly the same thing! At our first team penning clinic had 13 horses of which 5 were arabs. At two plus hours the QHs and TBs were headed for their trailers to call it a day. The arabs were bouncing around ready for another run.
After 3 hours we quit because we were tired (the riders, not the horses. The arabs were still bouncing around ready for another run). The AHA is missing out by not getting behind these venues. It must be that if you AND your horse are both having fun, there must be something wrong with that discipline.
Dennis K. Hixson
Nelson Hixson Land and Cattle Co
Princeton, Texas

"Pretty ain't enough!"

#18 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

Dennis, would it be possible for you to post the future dates in 2006 that you will be having team penning activities at your arena? That way people in eastern Texas, western Louisiana and Arkansas, Oklahoma could be planning.

AHFA would be willing to sponsor a blanket for the year-end high point Purebred in Team penning.

If you do have pole bending, same there.

#19 lkirby

lkirby

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Arabian and Peruvian Paso horses, Persian and British Shorthair cats, and Sidesaddle Riding &amp; CDE Driving

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

The Brahaim Hindi Ranch in eastern New Mexico and the Frank Anderson ranch in southeastern New Mexico both breed and use Arabian horses to work their cattle on both ranches.

When you have gone through fire, you won't fade in the sun.

#20 Cyclone

Cyclone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

I just bought a new PP mare that is in foal to Robbin Stewart's stallion, SS Hypnotic. A gentleman they suggested I talk to (so embarrassed I have forgotten his name, but I will recheck w/them) told me he uses his Hypnotic horses for working 5,000 cattle on his ranch, out all day, no breaks, roping, branding, sorting. On those same Arabs, he trail rides up into the mountains, packs out deer and elk meat on them, and then goes to endurance rides on them! This gentleman told me they are the most sane, calm, gentle horses w/a tremendous work ethic, actually get mad if left behind. He also told me he has trained several National winning QH's and has never ridden anything so fluid and powerful as these Hypnotic horses. Said he regularly ropes 1,000 lb. steers off them, no problem! Do you think I might be a bit anxious to see this new foal born? lol...WOW!

Cyclone

edited to delete multiple posts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users